Building L-Screens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building L-Screens?

Has anyone had success in building their own L-screens, whether out of PVC or metal piping? What type of netting did you use?

I want to build 3-4 of them for the upcoming season and don't want to spend $120/net. Thanks!
    Owner of Driveline Baseball - Seattle, WA

I built my own. Like you, I didn't want to pay more than I had too.

For the backyard batting cage, I made a L-screen out of galvanized pluming pipe (Home Depot and don't remember the cost) and bought the pillowcase net (internet) for around $50 (several years ago).

I would suggest ordering net first and then building the screen. Go with a 7x7 with 3x3 cut out. Unless you are working with kids under 11 or 12, don't waist you time with PVC.

Comment

I was thinking of doing the same thing. PVC would get dominated.

Comment

ever thought about trying it with SQUARE tubing/piping? The way I've seen the "el cheepos" hold up compared to the professional (C&H Baseball) stuff we use, just a thought....
        "Coaches should teach people to play better baseball, not teach baseball to make better players."
        "In the Little League manual it says 'Baseball builds character' - that is not true. Baseball reveals character." - Augie Garrido

Comment

Not sure how much you want to pay or how much galvinized pipe, connectors, and net will run you (not to mention the weight if you have to move it a lot), but for $99 here's the net and 7' High X 6' Wide frame that I use.

Good luck,

In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by StraightGrain11 View Post
            ever thought about trying it with SQUARE tubing/piping? The way I've seen the "el cheepos" hold up compared to the professional (C&H Baseball) stuff we use, just a thought....
            I've got a welding shop, and several years ago I made a few frames out out of 3/4" square tubing for my brother in-law. The feet that the frame set on inserted into a square tube a bit larger diameter and had a set screw to tighten the feet in place or make them removable for stoage or hauling. The small square tubing is light weight and real sturdy.
            I like them better than the sreens we now use that have feet that swivel for storage, these aren't very sturdy. And can be down right aggrivating to carry.

JWC

Comment

Originally posted by StraightGrain11 View Post
              Hm, interesting. Thanks for the idea.
              Owner of Driveline Baseball - Seattle, WA

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X