Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigdaddy
    replied
    Absolutely! The momentum transfer from the large body parts to the small ones.

Keith

Leave a comment:

• Pete H
    replied
    Originally posted by bigdaddy
    I guess you could get the same feeling by using the torso muscles to hold the body up instead of striding with the legs???
    I have made a few feeble attempts at windmill pitching. The only feelings I had were clumsy and awkward. Again, my interest is only superficial. My dd is a dancer, so I don't have a dog in this hunt. I do have an opinion, however. You can push as aggressively as you are able, but the velocities seen in elite pitchers (overhand or underhand) are obtained through synchronized loading/unloading of the pelvic, torso, and shoulder muscles transferring momentum through the arm and hand to the ball.

Leave a comment:

• bigdaddy
    replied
    Pete,

I appreciate the offer. I have RightViewPro which has LOTS of side views of elite fastpitch pitchers in 60 fps.

I just think baseball pitching and hitting have a lot more in common than windmill pitching. Both start with picking the front foot up and traveling forward. I can see how holding and traveling with the torso muscles and leading with the hips could really start the whipping action. With windmill, all elite pitchers start with an aggressive push. I guess you could get the same feeling by using the torso muscles to hold the body up instead of striding with the legs???

Keith

Leave a comment:

• Pete H
    replied
    Windmill Pitching Clips

bigdaddy,
    Good luck finding those side view clips of windmill pitchers:noidea
    I agree that is not the best clip to see what you are looking for. I'm not a softball dad but I have looked at a few clips of pitchers in an effort to better understand hip rotation (coiling/uncoiling). I have one clip of Osterman and one of Ueno. Both are catcher's view clips, but if you (or anyone else) are interested, post or PM me with your e-mail address and I'll gladly send them.

Leave a comment:

• jsiggy
    replied
    Pete,

I would think you would need to see a side view of the pitcher to tell if the hips are leading the shoulders during the windmill pitch.

Keith
    Keith, I'm guessing Pete is talking about the nice view of hip loading/counter rotation before beginning the rotation. The line on Ritter's pants gives a pretty good view of it in the clip.

Then again, it didn't turn out so well for her on this pitch, so maybe not the best example to use.

Leave a comment:

• wogdoggy
    replied
    dixons wants torso ahead of hands to create whiiping movement {HITTING}

will this cause bat lag?
    torso ahead of hands ,,,,vee position,,, all create a very powerful situation but it seems to be causing some balance issues.lol..

Leave a comment:

• bigdaddy
    replied
    Pete,

I would think you would need to see a side view of the pitcher to tell if the hips are leading the shoulders during the windmill pitch.

Keith

Leave a comment:

• Pete H
    replied
    Windmill Pitching

On another note...can this hip leading the shoulders translate into windmill pitching? I would think so but am having trouble conceptualizing it.
    Watch the Legaspi hr clip. Check out the pitcher.

http://imageevent.com/siggy/hitting/uclamichigan

Leave a comment:

• swingbuster
    replied
    keith,

when the hips lead the shoulders as Dixon show..you make sure your head stays over the belly button as you move or you will be tilted back before you need to tilt back

Leave a comment:

• bigdaddy
    replied
    Thanks for the replies, it always feels better to know you are not alone. The problem is I don't see how more practice is going to fix this problem. The only thing I can think of is your eye will tell the torso muscles to set your foot down so you can hit the ball. As soon as the weather improves, I'll get my LiteFlite machine out and try it.

I'm certainly not going to try this on my kids with the season two weeks away. I do however see how this is a much more powerful way to stride.

On another note...can this hip leading the shoulders translate into windmill pitching? I would think so but am having trouble conceptualizing it.

Keith

Leave a comment:

• Ohfor
    replied
    Could you put this in English?

Leave a comment:

• swingbuster
    replied
    Make it three...when I tried forward by turning it opened up too soon.

I always felt like I tucked at the rear hip with my rear foot inside of my rear knee like Iwas sitting in on a coiled spring.

I think I was close to doing that anyway. My biggest need was to find the barrel and get the sense I could throw a spinning back back threw the box and use my whole body to do that

Leave a comment:

• Ohfor
    replied
    Any change in your hitting mechanics will "mess with" your timing.

Your brain has been trained to give you the "go" signal based on your old swing. Now you have a new swing.

Practice, practice, practice.

It's worth it.

Leave a comment:

• pgibbons
    replied
    bd - If it makes you feel any better, I'm having the same exact problems. I don't have a solution except to keep trying.

Don't forget what Dixon says on page 65 "you must get worse to get better". So far I've found that to be true - I just hope that eventually I get better

Leave a comment:

• wogdoggy
    replied
    It seems like you can get hung out there a little longer,maybe it comes with practice and time. .HECK I"D BET DIXON has sold 50 copies off these threads alone.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X