Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If he goes to a JuCo, gets two good years of ball in and does well in school, his confidence is going to go way up in both baseball and in terms of his education. It's a win-win from my perspective.

Comment

• It's important to find the right fit for college ball. For about half of all players it doesn't work out. They end up not playing, transferring or giving up the sport. It's not uncommon for academics to suffer when this occurs. College rosters are anywhere from 35-50 players. About eighteen to twenty get reasonable playing time. All 35-50 went off to college as recruited, former high school all conference players thinking their baseball future was bright.

On another site someone I know was griping some college coaches get fixated on certain players regardless of their performance. His son is a backup not getting a chance to prove himself in his redshirt sophomore year. His son was a Carpenter Cup player the same year as my son. Two days previous I was talking to another dad on the same college team frustrated his sophomore son, also a former Carpenter Cup player wasn't getting an opportunity to prove himself.

Comment

• It is really nice for those of us (like myself, my son is 11) who have kids who dream of playing college Baseball, being able to read the experiences of those who have been through it. Please do keep posting, guys, it is valuable reading!

I've had several relatives play college sports and it really is true that the fit with a particular program is important. Then of course there are situations like what happened with my cousin who got a scholarship to a D1 school for football, got some playing time as a freshman, then there was a Head Coaching change, they switched him from offense to defense, benched him, redshirted him and he never played another minute again of college ball. Can't even say the coach was "at fault" either, it was just that a whole new coaching staff came in and my cousin wasn't the best fit. I suppose he could've transferred, but I think at that point he just decided to focus on academics. He told me in retrospect he probably should've just played D2 Baseball

Comment

• I just wanted to put this little word in. If you are new to the website and have a younger player, stop reading now (or rather in a sentence or two) and start this thread from page #1. It is a daunting task and might take you several days, but if you want a primer on what is coming your way over the next few years, this thread is by far the best look through the looking glass you will ever get.

Comment

• Big day today;

We are playing a tournament against all the other 6A schools in our state. We played 2 games last night and lost both games (my boy didn't play).

Today is his turn in the rotation.
            He is pitching against one if 6A power houses in our state.

To be honest i'm nervous.

I'll update the thread after the game.

Sparksu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Tough day... Gave up 7 runs in 5 innings 6k's.
              Didn't have his fastball at all.

Several errors behind him and 5 of the runs were unearned.

Tough day.....

Sparks

Comment

• Sorry to here that Sparks...
                "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

• Updated stats(according to MaxPreps)

Pitching Totals
                  Earned Run Average0.99
                  Win3
                  Loss1
                  Appearances6
                  Shut Out1
                  Save1
                  Innings Pitched Decimal28.1
                  Hits Against26
                  Runs Against19
                  Earned Runs4
                  Base On Balls Against4
                  Batters Struck Out43
                  Home Runs Against0
                  Batters Faced124
                  At Bats Pitcher116
                  Batting Average Pitcher.224
                  On Base Percentage Pitcher.274
                  Wild Pitches1
                  Hit Batter4
                  Number Of Pitches0
                  Balks0
                  Pick Offs0
                  Stolen Bases Pitcher6

Comment

• Sorry he lost but two earned runs in 5 innings is not a bad showing. Errors are outside of his control. Sounds like he battled.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Sparks ... From a team standpoint, stuff happens. You don't always get the result you want. From a recruiting standpoint, college coaches don't rely on stats. They look at velocity, movement and composure for pitchers. How your son reacts to poor play behind will be watched closely for emotional maturity. Your son can only control the quality of the pitch he delivers. Once it leaves his hand it's out of his control.

Comment

• Jet

I don't mind the result.

I'm a little concerned that he just did't have his stuff today.

We played against the top 6A teams this weekend and looked pretty bad. All of our weaknesses were exposed.

Just a bad weekend but baseball is great and we have more games coming.

Sparks

Comment

• The next step is learning how to survive without his best stuff. I remember back in high school getting lit up on a day I thought I would be untouchable. But I pitched a no hitter on a day my velocity was down and my movement was mediocre. I managed to work hitters in and out and up and down. Plus I got lucky. Some hard hit balls were right at fielders. The fielders made a couple of great plays. I remember this because I remember the look on the sportswriter interviewing me when I told him I was mediocre that day and my fielders carried me. What I did have that day was great focus and concentration.

Comment

• Update:

Just pitched against one of the 6A schools.
                            Complete game gave up 2 runs with 3 K's.

Comment

• Big game tomorrow against a 6A Powerhouse that went deep into the playoffs and won our division last year. This team is stacked with a new $80million dollar school.

My boy has the ball for the game.

Comment

• So far this year he is 4 and 1 with an era of 1.26 and 43 strikeouts. I'm sure the numbers will take a hit after tomorrows game.

Sparks

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X