Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All he can do is take the mound and give his best effort. Sometimes its good enough. Sometimes it's not. Sometimes he will be better. Sometimes it will be the opposition. Whatever the case, he should keep his composure do his best and come back and do the same the next game won or lose.

Comment

• You are living my life from last year. Seems like yesterday. Being a pitcher 'Dad', it's big highs and big lows. But great memories.
      Last edited by songtitle; 03-20-2014, 11:03 PM.
      efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

• Originally posted by songtitle View Post
        Being a pitcher 'Dad', it's big highs and big lows. But great memories.
        Truth! Never hard to spot us in the stands. We're ones who look like we're undergoing proctology exams.

Comment

• Originally posted by marklaker View Post
          Truth! Never hard to spot us in the stands. We're ones who look like we're undergoing proctology exams.
          haha. I am not one to give instruction during the game, but I will often try to hide in a spot I can still see in the distance, but my son can't find me (or at least not close enough to make eye contact). He had a habit of looking towards me when things weren't going well, and the last thing I want is to be is a distraction and I don't want him to see me being nervous for him either. I usually wind up watching from behind the corner of a concession stand, or way out behind the outfield fence. Every now and then he will find me and joke abut it with me after the game.

Comment

• I approached all my kid's sports with the attitude, "It's their turn. I've had my turn. It's up to them to produce. I'm here to enjoy it." Since I didn't have any control over the outcome I didn't see the need to get worked up.

Comment

• Tough night;

Went 6 innings gave up 5 runs with 7k's. Don't know how many are earned . Lots of errors.

Our boys cant touch the other pitcher.

Sparks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Not a bad effort against a good team. He can hold his head high. Even the best pitchers get hit by good teams. And errors never help, of course.

My boy is 10, and I'm starting to tell my story, I guess. He threw a BP today and did well. We took it in 5-pitch chunks and talked after each chunk. I'll be extremely proud if he pitches six innings of high school ball one day. I hope we're still following Little Sparks as he enters college. Even if he doesn't throw another pitch after high school.

Comment

• Just so happens another college coach came to scout little Sparks at this game. He is from a well known D11 school.

But it was a tough night. As bad as it sounds our team is so young or pitchers have to have great games to win.

Still it was a solid effort but to beat a team like we played tonight he needed more than a solid effort.

Sparks

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
                    Just so happens another college coach came to scout little Sparks at this game. He is from a well known D11 school.

But it was a tough night. As bad as it sounds our team is so young or pitchers have to have great games to win.

Still it was a solid effort but to beat a team like we played tonight he needed more than a solid effort.

Sparks

From the Scout's point of view it might not have been that bad of a night if there were a lot of errors behind Sparks. Scouts see through that stuff and grade based on earned runs

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
                      Just so happens another college coach came to scout little Sparks at this game. He is from a well known D11 school.

Sparks

The college coaches don't care about stats, how the team played behind him and who wins. The coach is watching max velocity, consistency of velocity, movement, control, command and composure. He's also watching you.

Comment

• Originally posted by JetSixty View Post
                        The college coaches don't care about stats, how the team played behind him and who wins. The coach is watching max velocity, consistency of velocity, movement, control, command and composure. He's also watching you.
                        Exactly. Think of a job interview. Ex, they only want people with 3.0 GPA. Well, coaches only consider pitchers with min. XX velocity. Then they choose between them.
                        efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

• Originally posted by JetSixty View Post
                          Exactly. He's a college coach. He can see through the outcomes to what the kid brought to each pitch. And, in a way, it's almost better that he didn't have much support behind him - that gives the coach an instant look at your boy's composure, fortitude and maturity. And remember - and remind the kid - once the ball leaves his hand, everything else is in the hands of his fielders and the Baseball Gods (except for comebackers, of course). And, as Hook notes, five runs - even if earned - against a good team is NOT a bad outing.
                          sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

• Biggest game ever today;

My boy got the ball to pitch in the deciding game of the year. Win we go to the playoffs. lose and we were out.

He went 6 innings with 8 k's 2 runs 1 earned and walked 1.

We won in the 8th inning!!!!!!!!!!

Playoffs here we come!!!!!!!!

Sparks

Comment

• Great news Sparks....congrats!! That's the great thing about baseball, for all the great lows, there's always the higher highs that seem to show up when least expected. Regardless of what happens next year, what fun it should be for him and his teammates to revel in this moment.
                              In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

• : Most excellent, Sparks. Keep us posted on the playoffs and his prospects for next year.
                                sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X