This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Roothog66 View Post
    Me, too. It was the Navy, though. I showed up in San Diego. The barbers had no mirrors. I had long hair and a beard. After the haircut (if you can call it that), I walked into the bathroom and the guy in the mirror was this pinheaded. It was a shock. Of course, this was a time where no one wore short hair unless you were military. I remember my father telling me I would never make it in the military. I just wasn't the type. Honestly, though, it was probably the best time of my life.
    My fraternity buddy talked me into joining the Marines instead of waiting to be drafted in the summer as I had a low draft number. I still remember my short haircut and how it identified me to the locals in SoCal when I got to my duty station at Camp Pendleton. I still have the photo id taken right after the haircut.

My father told me that after I got out all I'd ever be was a ditch digger. That hurt. But guess who showed up on graduation day on Parris Island and so very proud of me? For thirty years I regretted serving in the military but now I have come to the conclusion that it changed me for the better. And I got to play fast pitch softball and body surf.
    "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
    "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
      A jr college a few hours from where we live is having open tryouts today. My boy is going down there.

If anyone else knows of a school looking please let me know.

Sparks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Be proactive. Make a list of schools. Find the coach's email online. Express interest. Ask the coach how to get in front of him. These emails should come from your grandson even if you do the work. Create an email address just for baseball recruiting. I created one for my son [email protected] You could make a two minute video of his throwing mechanics and overlay his physical stats and velocity to attach to emails or send when they respond.

Comment

• Hard to believe today was little Sparks last day of school. Its been a long journey but you know.... I wouldn't change a thing.

Sparks

Last edited by Jake Patterson; 05-23-2014, 05:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hard to believe today was little Sparks last day of school. Its been a long journey but you know.... I wouldn't change a thing.

Sparks
          POST Number 1 from March 2006

I have a question. I am coaching Little League again this year and i am wondering about my boy. He has what I think is an amazing arm and I recently clocked him throwing 50mph. He is ten years old.

Does anyone know what is very good (speed) for a ten year old? Is 50mph just average, better than average, good, or great?
          Oh and BTW: Yes I do stress strikes. This is just something I am wondering about.
          Thanks
          "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
          - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

• Blink of an eye.

Comment

• My boys high school bb coach got fired last day of school. He was talking to colleges trying to get my boy somewhere.

He is a super great coach but in my opinion he should be coaching at the college level. He speaks his mind and doesn't care which words he uses . I think he would be a great college coach .

Anyway, my boy still has no offers .

Sparks

Comment

• Help is great. But don't leave his future 100% in the hands of someone else. Start pursuing all the JuCos that might be a fit. He's running out of time. Email them (in your grandson's name) expressing interest and ask how to get in front of them. Call the high school coach asking for a written reference you can attach to the emails and a confirmation he will accept phone calls regarding your grandson's potential.

Comment

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401500156.308761.jpg

Comment

• Big Sparks and little Sparks

Comment

• Holy cow, you look too young to be a grandpops Sparks!!

Congratulations to the both of you, graduation is a big door to the future....you both look great.....and very happy, deservedly so. :applaud::applaud:
                      In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

• What a thrill it must be for those young men and their families on draft day............... wow it is super fun to watch these young boys full fill their dreams.

Comment

• It made the paper today... My boy made honorable mention for all area in the 6A class.

Its a big honor in a tough division.

Sparks

Comment

• Sparks - Thank for writing this thread. It has been a very good read. What great insight into the highs, lows, successes and failures of youth baseball. I agree with the many who have said that you could turn this into a book!

Has MiniSparks had any offers yet to play ball in college? Hopefully he will end up being able to play somewhere.

Also thanks to the many contributors to this thread as well. I've learned a lot and as my little guy is getting started I will be using the advice and lessons learned.

Thanks again and best of luck!

Comment

• Update: We have enrolled my boy in a jr college a couple of hours from where we live. He tried out for the team a while back and they only offered him to walk on. So he is going to try and walk on.

He will be getting a pell grant but we will be renting him a place to stay as well as all of the other expenses of college.

If any of you know of any other way to help pay for college I would appreciate your advice. Getting a school loan is out of the question. My wife is trying to pay hers and I only paid mine off a couple years ago. I will not put that burden on my family.

Thanks
                              Sparks

Comment

Update: We have enrolled my boy in a jr college a couple of hours from where we live. He tried out for the team a while back and they only offered him to walk on. So he is going to try and walk on.

He will be getting a pell grant but we will be renting him a place to stay as well as all of the other expenses of college.

If any of you know of any other way to help pay for college I would appreciate your advice. Getting a school loan is out of the question. My wife is trying to pay hers and I only paid mine off a couple years ago. I will not put that burden on my family.

Thanks
                                Sparks
                                My older son played ball but never had a passion for it and never played again after youth baseball. Yet he was always an excellent student and was able to get a full ride academically to Middle Tennessee State University. My 9 year old, however, absolutely loves baseball and, so far, has stood out above his peers in the game. Not that it means anything at 9 but my question is - if my youngest does as well academically as my oldest did - and was able to have the scores on the ACT and GPA to get a free ride academically - how much does that open up even more possibilities for him in baseball if he were to ever be good enough to play at the collegiate level?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X