This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by spiritandtruth View Post
    My older son played ball but never had a passion for it and never played again after youth baseball. Yet he was always an excellent student and was able to get a full ride academically to Middle Tennessee State University. My 9 year old, however, absolutely loves baseball and, so far, has stood out above his peers in the game. Not that it means anything at 9 but my question is - if my youngest does as well academically as my oldest did - and was able to have the scores on the ACT and GPA to get a free ride academically - how much does that open up even more possibilities for him in baseball if he were to ever be good enough to play at the collegiate level?
    The bottom line is the kid has to be able to play the game. Unless he's a jaw dropping major conference stud coaches will be looking for him to have at least an unweighted 3.0. D1 only has 11.7 scholarships. D2 has nine. D3 has none. What good grades and SATs can do for a baseball recruit is get him accepted to a better college than he would without baseball.

Ivies and other top academic schools will take athletes with an unweighted 3.5 and 1300 on the Math and English SATs. A regular student would need a 4.0 and 1500+. My son was NHS is high school. He was in the gifted program. He passed four AP tests. He's on a 50% academic and 25% baseball scholarship. Athletic scholarships are year to year. Have a bad year and lose it. Academic scholarships are usually retained by getting a 3.0 or better.

Do not think D3 ball is JV ball and easy to play. Even D3 players were typically all conference in high school. They just don't typically have the physical and talent upside of D1 and D2 players.
    Last edited by JetSixty; 08-03-2014, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
      Update: We have enrolled my boy in a jr college a couple of hours from where we live. He tried out for the team a while back and they only offered him to walk on. So he is going to try and walk on.

He will be getting a pell grant but we will be renting him a place to stay as well as all of the other expenses of college.

If any of you know of any other way to help pay for college I would appreciate your advice. Getting a school loan is out of the question. My wife is trying to pay hers and I only paid mine off a couple years ago. I will not put that burden on my family.

Thanks
      Sparks
      Get good grades is the easiest way. Making the baseball team and having an impact is another way. Grades are something to student-athlere can control.

Comment

• Sparks, I don't want to burst any bubbles here, but unless your grandson is going to be starter on the team, or at least can be assured of some decent playing time....college baseball is a much greater toll on the student than I think most realize.

Being that your grandson has already tried out for the coach, and the coach only "offered him to walk on", sadly, he is basically just telling your grandson that he's welcome to try again, but his chances of making the team are highly unlikely....and if he does make the actual rostered team (and is not "redshirted" to the practice/concession stand squad), the chances of him getting any real game time is even slimmer.

I'm sure Jet can explain what his son is dealing with right now academically and athletic schedule wise. Baseball is a BIG time consumer at the college level. It's nothing like that of HS ball, and many student/athletes struggle with the time management end of it......especially those who are housing on or near campus, and don't have a set of parental eyes checking in on them here or there.

I only say this, because my oldest played a year of ball at a local JUCO.....and somehow forgot about the doing the school work that went along with it.

So he didn't get a second year of baseball, simply because his mom and I pulled the plug on it, as he was there for an education, and not a "baseball career".

We moved right after our youngest graduated from HS, so he too was like your grandson, as the local JUCO coach in our new area "offered him to walk on" if he liked.....

Unfortunately (or fortunately as far as his mom and I were concerned), he didn't make the rostered team. Coach offered a "redshirt" spot, but know that that is just as big a time consumer, but with no game time.....he (with our encouragement) turned it down.

Now he's continued to workout five to six days a week in the gym, followed by a couple hour in the local cages or on the field, with hopes of walking on again....but secretly, I hope that the same thing happens, and that he doesn't make the team.

While he's a better student than my oldest, there's no way he's going to fit in five or six hours of baseball a day, with school, and with his job at the local supermarket.....yes, he will have to continue to work if he wants a car, and the extra money for dating (he sure as hell ain't getting it from me or mom).

Anyway, I took the long route to get to saying.....depending on your priorities, there is always the option of your grandson finding a job on campus to help supplement your finances in helping pay for his education. While it might not be a lot....at least he could make $8 to $10 an hour for those five to six hours he'd be getting nothing out on the baseball field.

Couple hundred dollars a week, would sure go a long way in help with his food costs, or part of his boarding, or books, or gas, or dating, or whatever it is....it's a lot more than he's gonna get from the baseball coach, and the time spent out on the field if he's not playing on a regular basis (it even if he happens to be).

It's all about priorities....and eventually, baseball can't or won't be the first one.

Just a thought, best of luck,
        mud -
        In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

• I'll provide my view of the world on walking on and college ball in general when I have time later today.

Comment

• I could start this post with "so you want to play college baseball" with an exclamation point. Or I could end it with "do you really want to play college ball?" Most high school kids can't grasp the level of commitment unless they've been exposed to it by others. I played. But the commitment has increased since I played. My son got his exposure from his sister and friends of mine with sons older than he.

First off Mud is right. Your son already had a tryout with the coach. An offer wasn't made. What he's looking for this fall is significant improvement from the tryout. He's going to be looking for a more bulked up pitcher throwing harder. I hope your son has been working hard on physical and velocity improvement and not just playing. The problem is it typically takes an entire off season for improvement.

I'll assume since there was a tryout this is at least a middle of the road, competitive program that recruits. The coach has probably already found the guys he's looking for. Some will become good players for him. Some won't work out. Some will flunk out. But he probably has at least thirty or forty players in his head already for his roster. Only twenty to twenty two of them will get enough playing time to be happy.

The good news about JuCos is there aren't roster limits. If the coach likes your son he'll add him to the roster. The bad news about JuCos is there aren't roster limits. How much mound time do you think your grandson will get as the twentieth to twenty-fifth pitcher in the team? If he makes the team his future could come down to how he does against one opposing hitter assuming he gets the opportunity.

Now for the time commitment. Here's my son's. My daughter's was very similar for softball ....

Fall semester:

First off baseball players need to take all their classes before 12:30 so they can be on the field for practice by 1:30. My son shoots for three consecutive classes MWF from 9-12 rather than getting stuck with one at 8am. The reason being he has swimming for upper body strength M-F for an hour before class. So ...

7:15-8:15 swimming
            8:15-9:00 shower, eat, get to class
            9:00-12:00 classes
            12:00-1:00 lunch
            1:00-1:30 locker room
            1:30-4:30 or 5:00 practice
            5:00-5:30 shower, locker room
            5:30 to 6:30 dinner
            6:30-7:00 locker room
            7:00-8:30 weights, or agility (yep, after eating ... have to eat sometime)
            9:00 to midnight homework
            up at 7am, repeat

Saturdays aren't so bad. They have three or four hours of practice from 8-noon so they can go support the football team. Saturday afternoon and evening is the only social life he has.

Sundays are free. He sleeps until noon because he's tired from not getting eight hours any night all week. Then watches the Eagles play. The late afternoon and evening is for catching up on homework except for dinner.

Practice ends mid November. But they are expected to keep doing all the physical training. The NCAA allows athletes to participate twenty hours per week in their sport. If you add up the hours you will see it's much more than twenty. It's more like thirty-five hours. All physical training is optional. Try not going and keep your roster spot.

Spring is easier. A JuCo game schedule may differ. I'm not familiar with it. But I'll bet the hours are about the same.

Thursday after classes: Leave for game destination, if away. Practice three hours and weights if home.
            Friday am: Study, you're missing classes. Class if you're home.
            Friday pm: Game
            Saturday: Afternoon or evening game.
            Sunday: Afternoon game. Bus ride home, if away. Homework on the bus, if away.
            Monday: Practice for three hours after class, light weights for an hour after practice.
            Tuesday and/or Wednesday: Non conference games or one game and one practice and weights. It's hard on homework and sleep if these are two or three hours away.
            Thurday: Repeat.
            The spring is a lot easier due to less physical training. But having finals before the season ends isn't exactly a treat.

My son's coach requires players to provide proof (professor's signature) they attended class on Monday mornings after road trips. Sometimes these are eight to ten hour bus rides arriving back on campus in the middle of the night. On one ten hour bus trip Saturday was rained out. They played two on Sunday. By the time the bus left Burger King (great dinner after playing two) it was 8pm. They arrived back on campus at 6am. Monday morning classes required. Ever slept on a bus? I'm betting a Texas JuCo league has some significant bus trips.

So you want to play college baseball? You better be real committed to the game and getting passing grades. Another thing is most coaches don't give a damn about your academics as long as you pass, stay eligible and help the team pass NCAA APR standards so they don't lose scholarships. They don't get paid for your grades. They get paid for wins and titles.

Unless you're a stud for the team the coach is always looking to replace you. There are new recruits every year. My son's roommate started his freshman and sophomore year. He came back junior year to find out he had been replaced by JuCo transfer. My son returned sophomore season to discover a position he thought he could win fill time was given to a JuCo transfer. You're guaranteed nothing from year to year. Not even the scholarship.

My son has been a utility player for two years. He starts more than he doesn't. When he doesn't start he often pinch hits, pinch runs and goes sometimes goes in defensively after someone has been pinch hit for. He loves baseball. He can't imagine not playing at college. But he sometimes calls and complains the game owns him and he feels trapped. I understand him because his sister felt the same way about softball. I felt the same way when I played college baseball.

Another thing is all eyes are on your behavior. You can't mess up. My son was busted for underage drinking in the parking lot at a football game freshman year. He was fortunate by red shirting (injury) there wasn't a headline, "Baseball player arrested for underage drinking" on the front page of the local newspaper in a college dominated town. He wasn't known then.
            Last edited by JetSixty; 08-05-2014, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• Jet

I would only respond by saying what else can he do? Personally I'm glad he is going to at least try. It would be easy to sit back and give up so at least he's going to give it a shot.

I do know many many other boys his age who are good players and none of them got even a partial scholarship. From what I gather baseball scholarships, even partial, are hard to get.

I will say this. My boy is in the shock of his life. He thinks it's going to be easy to make the team. He doesn't realize there are many pitchers that throw in the mid 80's.

Comment

• What he needed to do is be more proactive earlier in the year. I hope he wants to be there if baseball doesn't happen for him. Good luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by JetSixty View Post
                  I could start this post with "so you want to play college baseball" with an exclamation point. Or I could end it with "do you really want to play college ball?" Most high school kids can't grasp the level of commitment unless they've been exposed to it by others. I played. But the commitment has increased since I played. My son got his exposure from his sister and friends of mine with sons older than he.

First off Mud is right. Your son already had a tryout with the coach. An offer wasn't made. What he's looking for this fall is significant improvement from the tryout. He's going to be looking for a more bulked up pitcher throwing harder. I hope your son has been working hard on physical and velocity improvement and not just playing. The problem is it typically takes an entire off season for improvement.

I'll assume since there was a tryout this is at least a middle of the road, competitive program that recruits. The coach has probably already found the guys he's looking for. Some will become good players for him. Some won't work out. Some will flunk out. But he probably has at least thirty or forty players in his head already for his roster. Only twenty to twenty two of them will get enough playing time to be happy.

The good news about JuCos is there aren't roster limits. If the coach likes your son he'll add him to the roster. The bad news about JuCos is there aren't roster limits. How much mound time do you think your grandson will get as the twentieth to twenty-fifth pitcher in the team? If he makes the team his future could come down to how he does against one opposing hitter assuming he gets the opportunity.

Now for the time commitment. Here's my son's. My daughter's was very similar for softball ....

Fall semester:

First off baseball players need to take all their classes before 12:30 so they can be on the field for practice by 1:30. My son shoots for three consecutive classes MWF from 9-12 rather than getting stuck with one at 8am. The reason being he has swimming for upper body strength M-F for an hour before class. So ...

7:15-8:15 swimming
                  8:15-9:00 shower, eat, get to class
                  9:00-12:00 classes
                  12:00-1:00 lunch
                  1:00-1:30 locker room
                  1:30-4:30 or 5:00 practice
                  5:00-5:30 shower, locker room
                  5:30 to 6:30 dinner
                  6:30-7:00 locker room
                  7:00-8:30 weights, or agility (yep, after eating ... have to eat sometime)
                  9:00 to midnight homework
                  up at 7am, repeat

Saturdays aren't so bad. They have three or four hours of practice from 8-noon so they can do support the football team. Saturday afternoon and evening is the only social life he has.

Sundays are free. He sleeps until noon because he's tired from not getting eight hours any night all week. Then watches the Eagles play. The late afternoon and evening is for catching up on homework except for dinner.

Practice ends mid November. But they are expected to keep doing all the physical training. The NCAA allows athletes to participate twenty hours per week in their sport. If you add up the hours you will see it's much more than twenty. It's more like thirty-five hours. All physical training is optional. Try not going and keep your roster spot.

Spring is easier. A JuCo game schedule may differ. I'm not familiar with it. But I'll bet the hours are about the same.

Thursday after classes: Leave for game destination, if away. Practice three hours and weights if home.
                  Friday am: Study, you're missing classes
                  Friday pm: Game
                  Saturday: Afternoon or evening game.
                  Sunday: Afternoon game. Bus ride home, if away. Homework on the bus, if away.
                  Monday: Practice for three hours after class, light weights for an hour after practice.
                  Tuesday and/or Wednesday: Non conference games or one game and one practice and weights. It's hard on homework and sleep if these are two or three hours away.
                  Thurday: Repeat.
                  The spring is a lot easier due to less physical training. But having finals before the season ends isn't exactly a treat.

My son's coach requires players to provide proof (professor's signature) they attended class on Monday mornings after road trips. Sometimes these are eight to ten hour bus rides arriving back on campus in the middle of the night. On one ten hour bus trip Saturday was rained out. They played two on Sunday. By the time the bus left Burger King (great dinner after playing two) it was 8pm. They arrived back on campus at 6am. Monday morning classes required. Ever slept on a bus? I'm betting a Texas JuCo league has some significant bus trips.

So you want to play college baseball? You better be real committed to the game and getting passing grades. Another thing is most coaches don't give a damn about your academics as long as you pass, stay eligible and help the team pass NCAA APR standards so they don't lose scholarships. They don't get paid for your grades. They get paid for wins and titles.

My son has been a utility player for two years. He starts more than he doesn't. When he doesn't start he often pinch hits, pinch runs and goes sometimes goes in defensively after someone has been pinch hit for. He loves baseball. He can't imagine not playing at college. But he sometimes calls and complains the game owns him and he feels trapped. I understand him because his sister felt the same way about softball. I felt the same way when I played college baseball.

Another thing is all eyes are on your behavior. You can't mess up. My son was busted for underage drinking in the parking lot at a football game freshman year. He was fortunate by red shirting (injury) there wasn't a headline, "Baseball player arrested for underage drinking" on the front page of the local newspaper in a college dominated town. He wasn't known then.
                  Nicely done Jet....this post really needs to be stickied somewhere (maybe you could start a new thread, and then just cut and paste this into it?).

I think it is VERY important that players, and their parents know what they're really in for, especially if the player doesn't play near home.

Again, great post....thank you,
                  mud -
                  In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

• Moved little Sparks into his apartment today. He will be going to school 3 hours away and trying to walk onto the baseball team.

My goodness seems like yesterday when I started this thread and he was 9 or 10 years old.

His life is in front of him now.

I'm so glad I kept this thread going. Will he make the team? I don't know but what a joy this Journey has been.

Sparks

Comment

• The important thing is when it's all over you can look back and believe you enjoyed the ride. That's even though the ride can sometimes be bumpy and you don't know which way the road turns.

Even if walking on doesn't work out doesn't mean he can't play in an amateur summer league. And it doesn't mean he can't try to make it again the following fall. Good luck.

Comment

• not a lot to update:

It is fun to say that little Sparks is a College baseball player!!!!
                        His team has been practicing for a couple of weeks and as far as I know all is going pretty well....... really he hasn't given me many updates.

We got him a little apartment and he is all moved in.......

From what I gather they don't have roster limits at State Schools......so he should be on the team......then again I really don't know.
                        As far as playing time and all that..... we will just have to see.

I know it is very early but I think he is only going to try out ONLY for pitching...... personally I wish he would try and play multiple positions I think he would be a good second base and a good backup SS and maybe even a catcher........but we will see. I just think there are probably a lot of pitchers that throw in the mid eighties in college (even Jr. Colleges) so I wish he would expand his goals but then again it is very early. At this point I'm happy he is in college and assuming there aren't roster cuts I just hope he makes the team.

Wow who would have thought when I started this thread so many years ago that I would be posting little Sparks is on a college team.

Now if he gets to play......look out I may do some yelling on this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!

Sparks

Comment

• Most college coaches frown on players pitching and playing a position. It's a lot of work just to focus on one. Usually when a player does both he's a stud at both.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
                            It is fun to say that little Sparks is a College baseball player!!!!
                            Congrats.

We are one year ahead of you in this process. Anticipate lots of drama over the next year. You thought high school was crazy!
                            efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

• Update:

Not much to report......little Sparks is home for the weekend.

I've got a lot to learn about college ball......I actually know nothing. I did learn that they are going to play a mini fall league I think its about 17 games. But my boy told me that only the Scholorship players are allowed to play.....so I don't know anything really.

Looks like my boy is in for a fight to get any playing time.

I will say this he told me the head coach pulled him aside last week and just gave him some words of encouragement and let him know that he sees him and is happy with his work.

Also, (and this will give you an idea of how much I'm grasping at straws for news......lol) my boy told me a couple of days ago he threw the best bullpin he's ever thrown. I said, "out of the thousands of bullpins that was your best ever?" he said "by far".
                              He said he didn't know how hard he was throwing but he said he's never thrown harder..... I know one college coach got him at 86mph so he must have been throwing at least that hard.
                              Anyway, while my boy was throwing the bullpin the pitching coach stopped him to talk. The coach ask him was he a scholorship player or a walk on? My boy said, walkon. The coach came right out and asked him "why didn't anyone pick you up?" My boy just said I don't know.

Anyway, they've only been in camp for a couple of weeks but at least my boy is getting some kind of notice.

On the downside he made a bad grade on a test but on the upside he is panicked over it. In the past if he made a bad grade he really didn't care (high school). So at least he is starting to put forth effort on his grades.

I'm told they are going to have a practice game next week. I'll update if little Sparks gets any playing time.

Sparks

Comment

• Pitched his first college game today (practice game). Everyone played and little sparks pitched one inning. Allowed one hit no runs scored.

After the game the coach told him he hit 87 mph (they gunned Everyone) and told him he going to let him travel with the team.

Good day

Sparks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X