X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news. Nice work.
    efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

• That's great news Sparks.....best of luck to your grandson.....crossing our fingers for him. :crossfingers: :crossfingers:
      In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

• Great update Sparks! Get some vids next time, we'd love to see him.
        "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
        - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

• So far, so good. Is he still growing? His velocity will probably increase a little with the off season training he gets in college. The key to being a freshman pitcher is have a plan to stay ready. There may only be so many opportunities. He needs to be prepared and ready to prove himself. I haven't pitched in ten days is only an excuse the coach won't care about.

In college everyone on the team has the potential to play. Half don't play. On a JuCo team with unlimited roster size it could be more than half. The dividing line is being physically and mentally stronger, being prepared, never making excuses and being accountable. Then throw in a dose of opportunity and luck.

How a player handles one game appearance physically and mentally may determine their entire baseball future at the school.
          Last edited by JetSixty; 09-08-2014, 08:53 AM.

Comment

• Naw, he stopped growing sometime ago. I think he's probably in his prime and probably has what he has. I saw some good talent in the practice game. I think little Sparks can be a good part of the team but truth is his day of being the star are behind him. But that's just fine by me. It will be a joy if he makes the team and if not at least he gave it a shot.

Sparks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Pretty big news today... My boy wasn't sure until today but.....

The coach informed him that he made the traveling squad and will travel with the team during the fall schedule.

Doesn't sound like much but it's pretty big news to us.

The team was told only scholarship players could travel so it's pretty good that little Sparks has made the team.

!!!!!!!!

Sparks

Comment

• Awesome. Congrats!
                Never played baseball, just a dad of someone that loves to play. So take any advice I post with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Tell him not to let up. It's just step one in the process. What he's earned is the right to show himself in the fall. He may only get one opportunity. Or how he does in his first appearance may determine if he gets a second. At least now he has the fall to prove he belongs on the spring roster and better, the spring travel roster. That will be step two. But it's not happy time yet. If he proves he belongs on the roster he has to prove he deserves mound time during the regular season. Making the team is great. The time and effort commitment and never playing sucks. Then, unless a kid stars he has to prove he belongs again each season. Never be complacent. The important thing is he's succeeded to this point. Keep driving. And don't fall behind on school work. Never let "I'm too tired" be an excuse. "I'm too tired" can turn into "I can't believe how far behind I am in school." My son rarely gets eight hours of sleep.
                  Last edited by JetSixty; 09-11-2014, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• Talk about hard.....

He plays his first real college game today and I can't go....it's just to far away.

Guess I'll have to get used to it.

Comment

• It's the first appearance in the spring that really matters. Be there for that.

Comment

• Pitched his first real game today. 2 innings gave up 1 run walked 2 struck out to.

He got his first win!

Sparks

Comment

• That's just awesome. This thread went from 10 year pitching to his first game as a pitcher in college. Really terrific that the journey continues....
                          Never played baseball, just a dad of someone that loves to play. So take any advice I post with a grain of salt.

Comment

• It's great for you that he pitched and won. But don't get caught up with stats in fall ball. What they're looking at is the velocity he was hitting consistently, his control, his command, his composure and how it fits into the spring roster.

Comment

• I'll tell you this.... The strike zone so far in college is the size if a nats butt.... When we were kids it was from the arm pits to the knees. Now if it's above the belt it's high....geeezz

Comment

• Originally posted by JetSixty View Post
                                What they're looking at is the velocity he was hitting consistently, his control, his command, his composure and how it fits into the spring roster.
                                Interesting.. since the title of this thread started 3/24/2006 is 'Do you think Radar guns can be a valuable tool to use?'
                                efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X