This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by songtitle View Post
    Interesting.. since the title of this thread started 3/24/2006 is 'Do you think Radar guns can be a valuable tool to use?'
    Yes, once kids are about fourteen, through puberty and playing on the 60/90 field.

Comment

• Originally posted by JetSixty View Post
      Yes, once kids are about fourteen, through puberty and playing on the 60/90 field.
      Ah. We come around to a complete circle. :o

Comment

• Jet - The post about playing college ball was great. The interesting part was the required swimming. I have talked to coaches around here about my son - they ask what other sports he participates in. These are middle school coaches. I tell them all the usual then swimming. When I say that there eyes just gloss over and they seem to be saying whatever. I always thought it was very good for you.

Alan

Comment

• Alan ... Middle school coach's baseball knowledge can be anywhere from trying to work his way up to varsity coach to knowing nothing. When my son was in 7th grade the level was knowing nothing. When the coach found out my son was on an elite travel team he asked my son what drills to do in practice. Essentially, my son would have been running the team had I not found out. With the permission of the middle school AD (a friend) I sat down with the coach. We drew up a season's worth of practice plans for every possible normal baseball situation.

That practice booklet probably saved his job. The varsity coach was new that year. Part of his agreement to take the head coaching job was having input on every level of coaching. He had the 8th grade coach canned. He kept the 7th grade coach for being honest about the need to learn how to coach and finding a resource.

Comment

• Special day for little Sparks. He was a guest of Craig Kimbrel and got to meet all the players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• I thoroughly enjoyed your chronicles. Many thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
                I'll tell you this.... The strike zone so far in college is the size if a nats butt.... When we were kids it was from the arm pits to the knees. Now if it's above the belt it's high....geeezz

I heard that the zone at the higher levels is lower but sometimes wider, especially to the outside corner. Not sure if that is true though.
                I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• Update; pitched again today. Pitchers are limited to 2 innings. He pitched 2 innings gave up 1 hit and 2 k's. No runs.

Things seem to be going well so far...

Sparks

Comment

• How is the school part going?
                    WAR EAGLE!

Comment

• Something positive:
                      His jr college team is going to play against a top d2 school. Coach said only last year students and a couple of scholarship players would make the trip.

About a week ago my boy went to the coach and asked "coach what have I got to do to make the trip and play against the D2 school?"

After practice yesterday the coach pulled my boy aside. He said he had never had a Freshman ask to pitch against one of the top schools before. Most players are scared of getting knocked around.

My boy will be making the trip as the only non scholarship player.

Chances he will play are slim but it is very positive to earn his coaches respect.

Sparks

Comment

• We are home. Come to find out they didn't play a D2 school . Several juco's met at the D2 school and played each other. It was like a showcase and mostly second year players played.

My boy did play and had one of his best outings in his short college life. Pitched 2 innings gave up one hit, one unearned run, struck out two and no walks.

It was a good night.

Sparks

Comment

• If he played he can get on the school's radar screen even as a first year player. He's only a year away from needing the exposure again.

Comment

• Bad news... Long story.

Coach called my boy in his office said your off the team. No discussion bring your in and leave.

A few days ago a girl on the softball team rolled my boys car. The next day her car was rolled, someone poured oil on her car. My boy didn't do it he was home visiting me 3 hours away. Well the girl went to his coach and said my boy must have poured the oil on her car in retaliation of her rolling his truck. She said she didn't see him do it but it had to be him.

Coach calls my boy into his office and kicks him off the team.

A few hours later the girl learns that another girl on her softball poured the oil on her car and she confessed. They are friends she did it as a joke.

Meanwhile my boy is off the team.
                            Coach would not even listen to my boy or consider his side.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
                              Bad news... Long story.

Coach called my boy in his office said your off the team. No discussion bring your in and leave.

A few days ago a girl on the softball team rolled my boys car. The next day her car was rolled, someone poured oil on her car. My boy didn't do it he was home visiting me 3 hours away. Well the girl went to his coach and said my boy must have poured the oil on her car in retaliation of her rolling his truck. She said she didn't see him do it but it had to be him.

Coach calls my boy into his office and kicks him off the team.

A few hours later the girl learns that another girl on her softball poured the oil on her car and she confessed. They are friends she did it as a joke.

Meanwhile my boy is off the team.
                              Coach would not even listen to my boy or consider his side.

My first instinct would be to set it straight. Probably would not get him back on the team, but the coach has a responsibility to do what it is he does the right way and this just seems wrong.
                              "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                              - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

• Does rolled her car mean something other than crashed and rolled the car?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X