Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The coach sounds like an *******. There are a lot of them out there. My first year of college was at a juco several states away from home. I broke my wrist the third game of the spring season crashing into a concrete outfield wall. I kept play for a few more days, but it was really starting to hurt, so I went to the coach and told him I thought I hurt my wrist. He told me to go see a doctor. I had no car, but I had good teammates and one of them let me use his car.

I came back in a cast on my throwing hand and the coach said, I guess it's broke; that was the last time he spoke to me until the season was over when he told me he was cutting my scholarship because I didn't contribute (my wrist was still in a brace).

I moved home, got my release and went to a local juco the next year. It all worked out in the end as I got a scholarship to a good DII school after that. It was a good life lesson.

I hope it all works out for your son. Just tell him to stay positive.

Comment

• Most players are a dime a dozen, especially at a JuCo where unlimited rosters creates unlimited recruiting. Coaching is the coach's livelihood. It pays the bills. A coach isn't going to tolerate any BS at all along with the negative exposure to the college administration over a player unless the player is a jaw dropping stud who will help the team win the conference and generate publicity for the college.

Comment

• Update;

My boys high school coach talked to another college coach. The last game my boy pitched a couple of weeks ago he pitched against this school and had a good outing.

Anyway the coach said he remembered my boy from that game and invited him to his team. He did say he was out of scholarships but if my boy played for him he gaurenteed him a scholarship the next semester.

All this is happening fast and we have the rest of this semester to discuss it. To be honest it would be nice if he could get at least a partial scholarship to help us financially.

Sparks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Awesome! I sure hope it works out.

Comment

• If you think your son had to prove himself where he is now, it will be even more challenging at the new school. Plus he's lost the fall to prove himself. At the new school his job is to fit in, come off as a perfect citizen and be physically and mentally ready when the opportunity comes. An unproven player may only get one, possibly two opportunities to prove himself in the spring. If it's in a one sided game, mentally approach it like it's the seventh game of the World Series.

Comment

• I wonder what became of Little Sparks. I expected to see a post about transferring by now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
                I have a question. I am coaching Little League again this year and i am wondering about my boy.
                He has what I think is an amazing arm and I recently clocked him throwing 50mph. He is ten years old.

Does anyone know what is very good (speed) for a ten year old? Is 50mph just average, better than average, good, or great?

Oh and BTW: Yes I do stress strikes. This is just something I am wondering about.

Thanks
                IMHO radar guns are only tools for scouts to relay information to someone who isn't able to see the recruit in person. At every level the best pitchers aren't necessarily the ones with the highest number on the gun. From a coaching standpoint, it has not use. From a scouting standpoint, it has some limited use.

Comment

• Originally posted by jpattillo View Post
                  IMHO radar guns are only tools for scouts to relay information to someone who isn't able to see the recruit in person. At every level the best pitchers aren't necessarily the ones with the highest number on the gun. From a coaching standpoint, it has not use. From a scouting standpoint, it has some limited use.
                  Welome to the board. However, you basically answered the OP's question from many, many years ago when his kid, who is now in college, was about 9. I did the same thing a few years ago. But, if you want an open, honest look at youth baseball and how a parent progresses, set aside a couple of days and read thsi thread from the beginning. It's a must read if you're going to hang out here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roothog66 View Post
                    Welome to the board. However, you basically answered the OP's question from many, many years ago when his kid, who is now in college, was about 9. I did the same thing a few years ago. But, if you want an open, honest look at youth baseball and how a parent progresses, set aside a couple of days and read thsi thread from the beginning. It's a must read if you're going to hang out here.
                    It is the first thing I read here. Great story. Almost feel like I know sparks and little sparks now. Hope all is well.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJS View Post
                      It is the first thing I read here. Great story. Almost feel like I know sparks and little sparks now. Hope all is well.
                      Having read most of the posts in this thread I would rate it as Awesome! I echo the sentiment that I hope "little" Sparks is doing well.
                      Last edited by lionbaseball; 03-03-2015, 06:44 AM.

Comment

• Curious if "little" sparks ended up on a college team this spring. Hope all is well for him and Sparks!

Comment

• I want to apologize to everyone for not posting updates. To be honest my heart wasn't in it.

After he got removed from the team at his college his grades with south.....fast. The end result he lost his grant to continue college so he was unable to attend the other college that he planned to attend. Besides.....I couldn't get him to go and sign up.

It's pretty much been a mess and little Sparks isn't doing anything at all now....nothing.

My wife says he will be able to apply to attend college next fall and that is our plans at this point. Before you even ask is he working on his game to try and make the team? No nothing.

At this point it looks like his baseball life is over and we are just trying to get him to face life head on and move forward.

Its such a shame.... it really is.

thanks for all the support on this thread throughout the years. If by some chance he attends college and attempts to play again I will post an update.

Sparks

Comment

• I am rooting for lil' Sparks.

Comment

• Sorry to hear about your grandson.

"Lil" Sparks is a man now and must face the consequences of his actions. Has he thought about the military?

There is an interesting ESPN 30 for 30 called "Unguarded" about Chris Herron. He was a baskeball star in high school and highly recruited. Drugs messed his life up and now he speaks to kids around the country about making better choices in life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-tv...KbLIcxrfEapSHD

Having raised 2 sons and raising two more I realize the hardest part of my job as father, was to tell my oldest son (who was 21) that he had to leave my house for some issues. After serving in the military he has changed for the better.

Comment

• ehhh, I skipped a year in college. It made me realize that I didn't want to make minimum wage all my life. Make sure he gets a low paying, sweaty job for now.
                                efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X