This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
    Chief it has always been my dream for him to coach baseball. I knew his size would always be a factor in his playing days. Which is why I think he is perfect for a D2 school. It was my hope he would go play at a D2 school and get into coaching.

At this point I'm just trying to get him out of bed. I swear the kid sleeps 25 hours a day. It's just frustrating....hoping I can get through to him somehow.

Thanks for the post.....

Sparks

You get through to him by practicing tough love. He is an adult now and needs to start acting like one with responsibilities.

Have him get a part time job and pay rent. If that doesn't work tell him to either join the service or strike out on his own.

Guess what? I hate having to get out of bed in the morning but I do so because I have responsibilities and bills to pay.

Comment

At this point I'm just trying to get him out of bed. I swear the kid sleeps 25 hours a day. It's just frustrating....hoping I can get through to him somehow.
      Sparks, it's time to get professional help if you have not already. You're descriptions of this young man are sounding more, and more symptomatic of a clinical depression that will only to grow worse if not treated professionally.

He will deny it, but the writing is on the wall....
      Originally posted by WebMD
      What Is Major or Clinical Depression?
      Most people feel sad or low at some point in their lives. But clinical depression is marked by a depressed mood most of the day, particularly in the morning, and a loss of interest in normal activities and relationships -- symptoms that are present every day for at least 2 weeks. In addition, according to the DSM-5 -- a manual used to diagnose mental health conditions -- you may have other symptoms with major depression. Those symptoms might include:
      • Fatigue or loss of energy almost every day.
      • Feelings of worthlessness or guilt almost every day.
      • Impaired concentration, indecisiveness.
      • Insomnia or hypersomnia (excessive sleeping) almost every day.
      • Markedly diminished interest or pleasure in almost all activities nearly every day (called anhedonia, this symptom can be indicated by reports from significant others).
      • Restlessness or feeling slowed down.
      • Recurring thoughts of death or suicide.
      • Significant weight loss or gain (a change of more than 5% of body weight in a month).
      ....so if you can't convince him to get help, at least seek professional guidance for yourself (and Mrs. Sparks) in how to deal with someone going through this, or you too will find yourself dragged down right with him, curled up next to him for the same 25 hours out of the day, and then no one's going to be able to help anyone.

Don't let him not playing baseball any longer take a major toll on your family. It might look and feel like the end of the world to all as you know, but in a few years....if you're all able to pull out of the funk....it will seem like such a small insignificant thing that had you all worked up over really nothing.

And remember, I'm speaking from first hand experience with my two boys (26, and soon to be 21) who went through similar feelings of disappointment when they were finally not handed a uniform any longer....but are now moving on with their lives, are happy, and doing what they both enjoy (even if dad thinks oldest should be doing something more and different, but I digress).

So there really is life after stepping out of the batter's box or off the pitcher's rubber....it's just that we all must find that something that let's us stay connected to the game, in whatever capacity suits each of us best (coach at some level, or at the college and pro levels...admin/general management, baseball operations, broadcast, field/facility operations, finance, information systems/technical support, retail, sales & marketing....or merely just as a fan).

Best of luck, we'll all be thinking of and praying for you guys. As Ursa said, you're part of this big ol' extended BBF family, so don't feel you're ever going it alone.

mud -
      Last edited by mudvnine; 08-30-2015, 12:45 PM.
      In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by lionbaseball View Post
        Sparks,
        Thanks for the update.
        As a Dad of a large family sometimes the best for our kids is the hardest for parents. IMO, sparks jr. needs to get a job or join the military. If he is staying with you I would charge him rent. From my own experience, throwing money at him will not help. He needs to buckle up or move out.
        I would have to agree.... I had two ends of the spectrum with my two boys - This age is the most difficult. Having also been there myself as a youngster, my dad did exactly what was suggested above. I joined the service in 1974 at the age of 19. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. Sparks, we talked once before... Send me a PM if you would like to again.

I also agree with Mud. Professional help might be in order.
        Last edited by Jake Patterson; 08-30-2015, 04:00 PM.
        "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
        - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
          I would have to agree.... I had two ends of the spectrum with my two boys - This age is the most difficult. Having also been there myself as a youngster, my dad did exactly what was suggested above. I joined the service in 1974 at the age of 19. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. Sparks, we talked once before... Send me a PM if you would like to again.

I also agree with Mud. Professional help might be in order.
          I also dropped out of college at 19 and joined the Navy. I was disappointed with the whole college basketball experience. My father was beside himself when I dropped out and joined the Navy (I had a 4.0 but got zero playing time and was tired of putting in all the work). It was an escape for me, but ended up being the best seven years of my life. Put me on the right track and forced me to grow up.

Comment

• Update: I don't have all the details but here is what I know so far.

Out of the blue little Sparks got a call from a college coach (d2). Great school. Seems some boy that is on the team that my boy didn't even know told the coach about my boy.

He asked Sparks to come down. The day he got there they were having a practice game. Little Sparks got in and pitched 3 innings. He faced 11 batters, struck out 7, walked one and grounded out the others.

They were gunning him and he topped out at 88mph. Coach said his average fb was 85-86.

Coach got one of the players on the team and said go show this boy his new dorm.

Things happened so fast we don't know the details yet.

Big day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• WOW! Great news! I hope little Sparks is ready for it this time.
              WAR EAGLE!

Comment

• Awesome Sparks! Here's to good luck for little Sparks in his new adventure!
                Ty Cobb-"Every great batter works on the theory that the pitcher is more afraid of him than he is of the pitcher."

Comment

• Sparks, did he have to apply to the school first to be able to get in academically? Or is it a straight scholly offer? They already had a dorm room ready for him based upon his performance in the intrasquad? Please share more details...this is really a dramatic turn of events and we wish him all the best!

Comment

• Raptor

No we had never heard of the school. He just got a call from the coach out of the blue. A few days later my boy drove down there and played in a practice game with them.

More details are coming in today. The coach said my boy had to be in school this semester to play next semester. School has already started so they are trying to get him into a mini semester or something like that.

Lots of stuff going on so I'll post when I can.

Sparks

Comment

• Good to hear about this second chance at baseball.

Just a heads up, a minimester can be a lot more academically challenging than a regular semester. One minimester class will pack 4 months of material into a 2 month class. Usually it's a 4 hour class followed by 10 to 12 hours of study a week. Time management will be very important in order to succeed, if he takes more than one of these courses. He should register for the easiest courses available to avoid being overloaded with an academic demand he may not be used to meeting.

Comment

• Question: at a D2 school does a player have to be enrolled in the previous semester in order to play on the team the next semester?

Thanks

Comment

Question: at a D2 school does a player have to be enrolled in the previous semester in order to play on the team the next semester?

Thanks

From the NCAA website, I think the bold might pertain to what you are asking, or may have heard....
                          In Division II, student-athletes must complete 24 hours of degree credit each academic year to remain eligible for competition. At least 18 of those hours must be earned between the start of fall classes and spring commencement at a student-athlete’s institution (six hours may be earned in the summer). All Division II student-athletes also must earn at least six credit hours each full-time term to be eligible for the following term.

In addition, Division II student-athletes must earn a 1.8 cumulative grade-point average after earning 24 hours, a 1.9 cumulative grade-point average after earning 48 hours and a 2.0 cumulative grade-point average after earning 72 hours to remain eligible. Student-athletes are given 10 semesters of full-time enrollment in which to use their four seasons of competition, provided they maintain academic eligibility.

Division II student-athletes must complete their four seasons of competition within the first 10 semesters or 15 quarters of full-time enrollment.
                          In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

• Ok I may be wrong this is a Jr. College. So Jr college is not a d2?
                            I'll go ahead and tell you... The name of the school is Southern Union college. I thought Jr. Colleges were d2 so I think I'm wrong.
                            Anyway they are saying he has to have 12 hours this semester in order to play during baseball season next semester. So that is my question.

So far if we can figure all this out he is offered a full scholarship books, tuition, dorm and even a food card.

This is all going so fast.

Comment

Ok I may be wrong this is a Jr. College. So Jr college is not a d2?
                              I'll go ahead and tell you... The name of the school is Southern Union college. I thought Jr. Colleges were d2 so I think I'm wrong.
                              Anyway they are saying he has to have 12 hours this semester in order to play during baseball season next semester. So that is my question.

So far if we can figure all this out he is offered a full scholarship books, tuition, dorm and even a food card.

http://www.njcaa.org/eligibility/eligibility_rules

D.2.c. Two or More Previous Terms of Full-Time College Enrollment: On or before the 15th calendar day of the third full-time, and all subsequent terms of full-time enrollment, A student-athlete must have passed 12 credit hours with a GPA of 2.00 or higher in the previous term of full- time enrollment

Comment

Ok I may be wrong this is a Jr. College. So Jr college is not a d2?

JC's have both DI and D2 classifications.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X