Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sparks Journey from Little League to College

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • So good to hear this. Isn't college baseball fun?
    efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
      He also told me his coach told him he got a call from the baseball coach at Clemson asking about little Sparks.
      Monte Lee is an outstanding baseball coach and person.

      Glad things are going well Sparks!
      Ty Cobb-"Every great batter works on the theory that the pitcher is more afraid of him than he is of the pitcher."

      Comment


      • Update;

        Sparks had a sore shoulder so the coach sat him the past couple of weeks. The games he has played since he came back he is doing well.

        It's a little past mid season and he has earned the spot of #1 closer. So far he has an era of 1.64 and 10 k's in the 11 innings he's pitched.

        Please read my next post for a great update.


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

        Comment


        • Little League

          Update:

          Little Sparks has truly impressed. Every change I hoped college/baseball would offer him has happened and far far more.

          He's has turned his life completely around. He has bought into his coach hook line and sinker. He has all A's in his classes and most important has made a new set of friends (teammates) instead of the kids he hung around with the past few years.

          I can't begin to post here the positive changes in his life but I am very very proud of him.

          His goal is to improve and go to a D1 school. I think he'll make it.

          Sparks


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
            Update:

            Little Sparks has truly impressed. Every change I hoped college/baseball would offer him has happened and far far more.

            He's has turned his life completely around. He has bought into his coach hook line and sinker. He has all A's in his classes and most important has made a new set of friends (teammates) instead of the kids he hung around with the past few years.

            I can't begin to post here the positive changes in his life but I am very very proud of him.

            His goal is to improve and go to a D1 school. I think he'll make it.

            Sparks


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I first read this thread (over a couple of days) about 2 years ago. The end of the thread at that time was sort of depressing. Maybe we're just conditioned to expect Hollywood style happy endings.

            And somewhere, out of nowhere, the happy ending is happening. Thrilled for you and your boy Sparks.

            Comment


            • Sparks ... Your grandson is doing great. He's snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. The baseball success is great. More important are his life choices. Choosing good friends and doing well in school is more important than baseball. As for the D1 dreams, just let baseball happen. Let it be his dream. The most important thing is to find a place to continue having a positive baseball experience regardless of the level. You don't want him bummed out if he ends up at a quality D2 or D3 program.

              There are very few right handed pitchers at the D1 level under six feet. The few tend to throw 90+. At my son's school this year the three shortest pitchers (of seventeen) are 6'0 and two 6'1's.

              Comment


              • Little League

                Jett

                You are right about size. I think he needs to get into the mid 90's to move up and don't think he'll make it.

                He has 3 very good pitches FB, CB and change up. Most pitchers I've seen that throw hard is they seldom have 3 solid pitches.

                His coach was a pitcher in mlb and I asked little Sparks if his pitching coach has taught him a new pitch. He said no. His coach told him he has 3 good pitches and doesn't need another.

                Still size is an issue and few smaller players break through.

                Sparks


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                Comment


                • A former teammate/friend's son was a starter on a 45-1 D3 national champion. No one in the family is upset he didn't play D1. There are a lot of very good players at the D3 high end. Many of them could have played D1. They chose the D3 for its academics and knowing they would start three or four years.

                  In D1 10-15 studs are recruited each year to replace anyone who stumbles. My son's roommate went from freshman starter to soph platoon player to junior bench player to cut senior year.

                  Do you know what happens at a D1 if the team ends up with 38 players? Three have to be cut. The roster limit is 35. Not that players 21-35 get on the field very often.

                  Comment


                  • Well sparks had his first bad outing although I think it was what I call "just baseball".

                    He came in to finish the last 1.25 innings of the game and we were down 5 to 0. He gave up 4 runs but only 1 was an earned run. His defense had 3 errors in 1 inning.

                    His era has gone from 1.64 to 2.19. He has 13 k's in the 12 innings he has pitched.

                    So on to the next game.

                    Hey you know what? My little Sparks is a college baseball player. Isn't life wonderful!

                    Sparks


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                    Comment


                    • He playing some new fangled ball with four outs a inning?

                      Sucks when the D kicks it.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by JettSixty View Post
                        Sparks ... Your grandson is doing great. He's snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. The baseball success is great. More important are his life choices. Choosing good friends and doing well in school is more important than baseball. As for the D1 dreams, just let baseball happen. Let it be his dream. The most important thing is to find a place to continue having a positive baseball experience regardless of the level. You don't want him bummed out if he ends up at a quality D2 or D3 program.

                        There are very few right handed pitchers at the D1 level under six feet. The few tend to throw 90+. At my son's school this year the three shortest pitchers (of seventeen) are 6'0 and two 6'1's.
                        But there is Hope though for the short guys. We watched Arizona State playe over Spring Break. They had a pitcher that is listed at 5'6". I believe he sat around 86mph on the gun. Topped out at 88 I believe. But your are right, it was odd seeing someone that short on the mound. When the coach came out to talk to them, you couldn't see him when surrounded by the infielders and coach.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
                          Hey you know what? My little Sparks is a college baseball player. Isn't life wonderful!

                          Sparks
                          This is all that matters...
                          "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                          - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

                          Comment


                          • Little Sparks got another save last night. Dropped his era to 2.03 with 14k's in 13 innings.

                            Here is a picture of someone you may recognize. His son plays FB on our team.



                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                            Comment


                            • More pictures from last night to put a face to the one this message board has been about for so many years.


                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                              Comment


                              • congrats

                                I don't recognize the adult in the picture??

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X