Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach flat out said no one play any summer ball and if he finds out you did you are off the team.

I don't agree with it but he's the coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Wow! Most college programs arrange where their players will play in summer ball. The new incoming coach was ticked at my son he sacrificed playing in the best possible league so he could also do a summer internship relating to his major and professional future.

Sometimes starting pitchers are told to take the summer off or given a max pitch count for the summer. But I've never heard of a coach telling a team not to play and get better. I don't know of any college teammate's or former travel teammate's of my sons who didn't play in a collegiate summer league. It's also exposure to pro scouts or four year college coaches for JuCo players. It appears he wants complete control of their futures.

Comment

• that sounds crazy----hey are you going to start a new thread? "College Ball"?
        13U Coach in God's Country (the Midwest)

Comment

• No this thread has its on life.

I think it's more about the journey now than the destination.

It is my hope that others can read through these many years and learn from my mistakes, there are many. Lots I would do different but it's all been a joy.

This is the greatest game in the world. Baseball has the ability to teach us all about life. I'm not talking about just the kids but the parents as well.

I don't know where or when this journey will end. The day he plays his last game I will close the thread. Maybe Jake can leave it up for others to read but in the end it is about baseball. As it turned out its about baseball "and" how it effects our lives.

Maybe there is a book here but I doubt I'll write it unless an agent works with me.

Till next time

Sparks

Comment

• Was fun watching the draft. Saw a couple of boys little Sparks played against go. One of them went in the 4th round today.

What a night it was when little Sparks faced him in high school. We seldom had more than 100 or so at our games (if that many). That night the stands were full and a bunch of scouts. They were there to see the other boy as he was one of the highest recruited players in our state. Not only was the other kid a great pitcher but was hitting over .600 and on his way to break his schools record for homers.

It was a battle from the first pitch. Little Sparks pitched a 2 hitter and struck out 12. We lost 2 to 0 due to errors ( our team was really bad). The other team went on to win the state.

Really happy for that young man.

I had a crazy thought... What if little Sparks got drafted and the world found this message board documenting his baseball life? Wouldn't that be fun?

Alas MLB doesn't draft 5'10 pitchers that top out at 88.

Regardless it's been a joy.

Sparks

Comment

• I haven't been on the site in a meaningful way in a LONG time. This is where I left off reading this story. I'm so glad to hear the story didn't end there!

Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
              I want to apologize to everyone for not posting updates. To be honest my heart wasn't in it.

After he got removed from the team at his college his grades with south.....fast. The end result he lost his grant to continue college so he was unable to attend the other college that he planned to attend. Besides.....I couldn't get him to go and sign up.

It's pretty much been a mess and little Sparks isn't doing anything at all now....nothing.

My wife says he will be able to apply to attend college next fall and that is our plans at this point. Before you even ask is he working on his game to try and make the team? No nothing.

At this point it looks like his baseball life is over and we are just trying to get him to face life head on and move forward.

Its such a shame.... it really is.

thanks for all the support on this thread throughout the years. If by some chance he attends college and attempts to play again I will post an update.

Sparks

Comment

• Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by Sparksdale; 07-12-2016, 11:25 AM. Reason: None

Comment

• Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• I didn't think what you wrote was problematic...

Comment

• Stkjock;

Literally 10 minutes after I posted that his coach called and said he has a full scholarship.

Long story but it all worked out.

Sparks

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
                        Stkjock;

Literally 10 minutes after I posted that his coach called and said he has a full scholarship.

Sparks

Fantastic!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
                          Stkjock;

Sparks

cool deal

Comment

• Great news, Sparks.

Comment

• Update;

Little Sparks drove down to the school today to take a couple of finals and to sign his scholarship papers.

His coach told him he was looking at 4 or 5 players and would he mind throwing to them while he was there.

Sparks said he threw about 4 pitches and the coach said "stop... Wait a minute". He went to his bag and got his radar gun. When he walked off the mound coach had a huge smile on his face. "What have you been doing this summer?"

For some stupid reason sparks said "I don't want to know".

Coach said he's never seen him throw that good or that hard.

I know he got him at 88 last year.

Sparks

Comment

• Awesome. The journey continures

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X