X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
    Bought me a new hat today.[ATTACH]157099[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Congrats Sparks that's wonderful news!!!

And I guess now you've finally found the answer to our question of some 10+ years....."Do you think Radar guns can be a valuable tool to use?"

Right about now, I thinking you're answer to that is a big fat....."!!YES!!".

So happy for you, and little Sparks....a well deserved, and hard earned accomplishment for all of the trials, and tribulations you've both encountered along your journeys. :applaud::applaud:

PS. Wear your hat proudly, but just be remember to be humble when describing what it means to you should someone ask. Which I have no doubt you will.
    In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
      Congrats Sparks that's wonderful news!!!

And I guess now you've finally found the answer to our question of some 10+ years....."Do you think Radar guns can be a valuable tool to use?"

Right about now, I thinking you're answer to that is a big fat....."!!YES!!".

So happy for you, and little Sparks....a well deserved, and hard earned accomplishment for all of the trials, and tribulations you've both encountered along your journeys. :applaud::applaud:

PS. Wear your hat proudly, but just be remember to be humble when describing what it means to you should someone ask. Which I have no doubt you will.
      I echo those congrats, what a ride! I will add, I always thought it was crazy to gun these young kids, but from what people are saying now, the gun isn't a bad idea. The basic focus is supposed to be "throw hard, throw fast" so why not give them that feedback and find their own adjustments as kids. Man, keep us posted, what a great story!
      Never played baseball, just a dad of someone that loves to play. So take any advice I post with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Originally posted by JettSixty
        Just tell him it's great he hit 90 and you're proud of him. That hat will have people talking behind your back and rooting for your kid to fail.

When my son was a high school junior he started the year 14-16. He hit about .525 for the season. I didn't have to tell anyone around town how well he was doing. Everyone who followed baseball knew. My canned response was "He's having a nice season. thank you" and kept moving.

Your son will put the hat on in the house once to please you. But he won't wear it.

I hate to burst your bubble. But a little perspective may be required. Do you know how many high school kids hit 90 at PG this summer? Almost every pitcher in D1 ball hits 90.
        Lighten up. Not sure you read the whole story. Sparks has had enough perspective. Time to celebrate. Get the shirt too. As for people talking "behind the back" it's much better to talk about the kids baseball than what could have happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by JettSixty
          Just tell him it's great he hit 90 and you're proud of him. That hat will have people talking behind your back and rooting for your kid to fail.

When my son was a high school junior he started the year 14-16. He hit about .525 for the season. I didn't have to tell anyone around town how well he was doing. Everyone who followed baseball knew. My canned response was "He's having a nice season. thank you" and kept moving.

Your son will put the hat on in the house once to please you. But he won't wear it.

I hate to burst your bubble. But a little perspective may be required. Do you know how many high school kids hit 90 at PG this summer? Almost every pitcher in D1 ball hits 90.
          Dang man, why don't you back off and let the man enjoy himself. You brag about your kids in nearly every post you write.

Comment

• Sorry haven't posted in a while.

It's been a mess at Sparks school. The head baseball coach got suspended pending termination for most of the fall season. Last week he came walking back on the field, he got his job back.

The result is they played almost no off season games. It was a mess.

All I know is they had a big tournament. According to the newspaper there were 25 D1 scouts and 15 pro scouts at the event. Once the head coach saw who was umpiring he told the players to get back on the bus. It's crazy. A few days later he was pretty much fired.

It was all a mess.

Sparks

Comment

• Dang. Little Sparks had some difficult high school coaches and now a difficult Jr College coach. Can't seem to catch a break. Make sure he still keeps on the narrow road he seems to have been going on lately.

Comment

• Nefore committing did your son or you sense anything unusual about the coach? What did you hear from other parents? What questions did you ask the coach before committing? Do you set your players up with collegiate summer teams was a "must ask" on my son's list.

Comment

• Originally posted by JettSixty View Post
                  Nefore committing did your son or you sense anything unusual about the coach? What did you hear from other parents? What questions did you ask the coach before committing? Do you set your players up with collegiate summer teams was a "must ask" on my son's list.
                  The coach has been there 30 years great reputation.

I live 4 hours away and this is college. It's not like high school when all the parents knew each other.

I don't know. Maybe it will all work out. He's getting an education at a good school so I remain positive.

Comment

• Originally posted by JettSixty View Post
                    Nefore committing did your son or you sense anything unusual about the coach? What did you hear from other parents? What questions did you ask the coach before committing? Do you set your players up with collegiate summer teams was a "must ask" on my son's list.
                    Come on Jet you have followed this story and know the answers to your questions! This was his only option to play baseball. More than likely if it wasnt for this opportunity he wouldnt be in any college.

Comment

• Merry Christmas everyone!

Comment

• I'm surprised there isn't word from Sparks. College teams are practicing. JuCos typically start their season the end of January. Sparks, if you're out there how is it going?

Comment

• Jett

Not much to report. There has been a mess at his college. The pitching coach was pretty much forced to find another job and several of the players loyal to him left.

Little sparks is mad at me for some stupid reason and I don't hear from him. I know he loved his pitching coach.

Their season starts next week.

I'm more worried about his grades than baseball. But he is on his own now. We'll see how he does.

Sparks

Comment

• I was curious how it was going since last year ended in a mess. I was hoping Sparks Junior wouldn't get upset and quit. Playing baseball is great. But more importantly he's working towards an AA with the potential for more. Good luck.

Comment

• Got to go see him play his first game of the season tonight. Tough night. Pitched the last inning gave up 2 runs. They won the game by 13 points but he wasn't happy with himself giving up the runs.

His stuff was as good or better than I've ever seen. I just think his location was just a hair off. Still his stuff looked great.

I've got a feeling. Just a feeling. Not sure he loves the game as much. Also his baseball life is winding down and I think it's weighing on his mind and his heart. To be honest kinda worried about my little man.

Sparks

Comment

• One thing that confused me about this story was what kind of school Southern Union State Community College is and what baseball division it is in. So I did a little research and this is what I found:

Southern Union is a public 2-year college. For baseball, it is an NJCAA school which is part of the Alabama Community Conference, which is part of Region 22, Division I.

Division I NJCAA (2 year colleges) is not the same as Division I NCAA (4 year colleges). NJCAA baseball scholarships are more favorable, with 24 full scholarships available. Sources:

http://www.njcaa.org/sports/bsb/teams-page

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/seaso...?Y=2015&L=ACCC

http://www.hsbaseballweb.com/how_many_scholarships.htm (scroll down to NJCAA)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X