Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparks is going through the long slow rehab.

He got a letter from his coach today... he is not offered a scholarship for next year.
    Brutal, gets hurt playing for the team and well.... I guess this is just how things are.

Sparks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• To borrow a phrase, it's not personal. It's just business. Your son has one year of eligibility remaining. His physical ability to contribute is questionable. Next man up!

My son tore his MCL and PCL in the first game of his post junior year showcasing. Based on conversations we figured schools wanted to see how he had physically developed and improved baseball wise since the previous summer and the offers would be flowing from about ten programs. He had already decided the top five and a preference school. After his injury we never heard from any of them ever again. It was a call from his travel coach (former D1 coach and a pro scout) to one of them assuring them he was healthy (a year later). He applied and was accepted. There wasn't any money left or a roster spot freshman year. He was offered money for his red shirt freshman year and subsequent years.

Indiana was his last choice of the five. He received 75% money between baseball and academics four of the five years and 50% academic money the first year. He left in five years with a BA and an MBA from a top twenty B school. From his last choice he had a great baseball experience (ranked and played in the CWS) and now has a great job.

When life serves up lemons it's all about deciding to be bitter or how you make lemonade. No one ever become successful and happy with a "woe is me" attitude. If your grandson can't see the light it's on you to ask him what's next? How do you make your life work?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
        Sparks is going through the long slow rehab.

He got a letter from his coach today... he is not offered a scholarship for next year.
        Brutal, gets hurt playing for the team and well.... I guess this is just how things are.

Sparks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Hope rehab goes well, and that Little Sparks continues to be able to play (or do something else with) baseball.

Three months ago I mentioned that I was writing up the Little Sparks story in a more accessible form. It is complete, as of this last post by Sparks.

Over the years there have been many calls to write a book. This is not exactly a book, as it is a blog series split into 11 chapters, one per year of Leo's life, and it is around 41,000 words total. But it does retell the story in a way that I believe is easier to absorb than reading through 1922 forum posts.

The first "chapter" also has an index into every other chapter:

https://www.filterjoe.com/2017/03/01...the-beginning/

Sparksdale - if you're reading this - I wanted to send you a PM to let you know this was done (but PM functionality does not seem to be available since the forum was restarted on June 10). Hope I did your boy justice with the story.

Thanks so much for sharing your story with all of us over the years - and thanks also to the many other participants who left thoughtful comments!
        Last edited by JoeG; 06-25-2017, 06:28 AM.

Comment

• Sparks ... Hopefully there will be an opportunity to provide a baseball update in the future. But regardless please post about Jr in two or three years. Baseball has had a profound impact on getting him on track in life. It would be interesting to see where it leads.. He can always play in an adult summer ball league for a few years if college baseball doesn't work out.

My kids reference the impact college baseball/softball has had on their lives. My daughter said the time management involved in playing college softball and a STEM major made law school seem a lot less demanding for her than many of her peers. Both kids talk about their athletic competitiveness and challenges spilling over into their professional world.

Comment

• Sparks... really appreciated this thread. I shared it with my wife since we see some similarities with our son. He has been a struggle when it comes to him taking his studies serious. It is a constant fight. She has told him of little sparks journey - hopefully he can relate to it a bit.

​​​ It took me a while just like little aparks..... I eventually went to Ga. Tech once I got my crap together. We all mature at a different rate.

Alanj
            ​​​​​
            ​​​

Comment

• This thread is now difficult to find (no longer stickied), and Sparksdale has not posted anything for over a year.

Does anyone have any news about what happened after Sparksdale's last post?

I did a quick internet search and it doesn't appear that Sparksdale's son has played any baseball since trying to rehab his arm over a year ago. Or if he did, it's not easy to find on the internet.

Comment

• What an awesome thread. Bumping it to the top.

Hopefully there is some more information but if not then maybe some other "new guy" will read this and learn as much as I did. Seriously, one of the best things I've read on the internet. Full range of emotions.

Comment

• Originally posted by lintonindy View Post
                  What an awesome thread. Bumping it to the top.

Hopefully there is some more information but if not then maybe some other "new guy" will read this and learn as much as I did. Seriously, one of the best things I've read on the internet. Full range of emotions.
                  Many of us have found this thread to be amazing and read it in it's entirety. It was stickied for many years but with no activity for over a year, I can understand why it got bumped off.

Comment

• This thread will be meaningful years from now. There will always be dads who don’t know the game who get educated as their son grows in the game. I’m for keeping it a sticky.

Comment

• I agree.... I enjoyed and learn a lot from this thread, and others that are probably worthy of a sticky.
                      Like Root and his son's Journey.
                      Motherlode and his son journey, and I know there are others I am forgetting.

Comment

• I agree but I would change the title it may have started out as little league question but went to something way greater.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vette74 View Post
                          I agree but I would change the title it may have started out as little league question but went to something way greater.
                          “From LL to college. A family’s baseball journey.”

Comment

• Originally posted by JettSixty View Post

“From LL to college. A family’s baseball journey.”
                            Yep thats perfect

Comment

• I’m back....

little Sparks has spent the past year+ rehabbing his arm. He even got a job. His arm injury was worse than I thought.

He sent a video to a 4 year college and the coach called him. He said he can’t give sparks a scholarship based on a video but if he can maintain good grades and earn a spot on the team he has a scholarship waiting for him.

He starts school Monday. The coach is helping us out by waiving the out of state Tution cost. That will save us thousands.

I will update how things go.

Sparks
                              Last edited by Sparksdale; 08-17-2018, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• great to hear!! best of luck to little Sparks

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X