Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY son hit a 390+ foot homeRun the fence was 350 there was trees behind the fence and the ball went over the trees and into the parking everytime he comes up he hits bombs his batting avg is over .900 he steals base all the time he was never caught and he is 5'11 220 he is very big he is 13 years old his main postion is catcher no one can run on him and pitchers love the pitch to him we live in New York on long Island he also pitches he was clocked at 82 mph at his cruise speed his fast speed was 88 is this normal for a good player because i now the kids are good in the south but i dont no how much better u can get he has so far 15 homeruns in 11 games on his travel team he never struck out and when he gets out he hits major league pop ups they arent litttle league pop ups that are 15-20 feet in tyhe air they are like 100 feet in the air . Does anyone think he is major league talent? we just had a gam 7/13/06 and he hits 4 homeruns won over the 390 center field fence so he might have got it 400 feet. a good hitting tip is to hit chick pees
    helps u see the ball better it will look like a basketball after you try to hit the chick pees

Comment

• Camp

Levi attended his first day of pitching camp today. It's the first time he's ever had someone "qualified" to teach him. I would guess there are about 50 kids there and the coaches seem to do a good job at watching each one. After the first day I am very pleased.
      Most of the day was spent on mechanics (which was what I hoped it would be). I hope my boy will listen and do as the coaches have instructed him to do.

Now a thought or two: I'm wondering if I've made a mistake about something. At some point I wonder when we are doing what's best for our kids or what "we" want? I'm really kind of in a funk about this. Here is the problem.... my boy begged my wife and I to let him play football. Of all things football camp is on the same day as baseball camp, and of all things the football camp is directly next to where the baseball camp is...I mean holy sh%t what are the odds of that?

My wife and I refused let him play football this summer. I really want him to play fall baseball and to be honest I don't want him to get hurt playing football. He is rather small for his age and I just don't think football is good for him - yet.

When we got out of baseball camp today I asked my boy if he had fun. He replied no that he didn't want to come back for the next two days because he wanted to go to football camp. I was shocked... He's always loved baseball and for the first time I see the "love" of the game fading from his eyes.

I don't know.....did I do the right thing? I honestly don't know. I fear that his mind isn't fully on pitching camp and he will not get out of it what he should get. Mike Lane of UNA is doing the pitching camp and from what I gather he is very good.

Oh well, I guess in the end we can only do what we think is best and live with our decisions. I hope he gets more interested in this pitching camp and really goes after it and soaks everything in. He's always had the drive inside himself to be the best...for the first time I'm not seeing that and it concerns me. Then again, it is only one day and maybe I'm over reacting....we'll see.

Sparks,

Comment

• Originally posted by baberuth7293
        MY son hit a 390+ foot homeRun the fence was 350 there was trees behind the fence and the ball went over the trees and into the parking everytime he comes up he hits bombs his batting avg is over .900 he steals base all the time he was never caught and he is 5'11 220 he is very big he is 13 years old his main postion is catcher no one can run on him and pitchers love the pitch to him we live in New York on long Island he also pitches he was clocked at 82 mph at his cruise speed his fast speed was 88 is this normal for a good player because i now the kids are good in the south but i dont no how much better u can get he has so far 15 homeruns in 11 games on his travel team he never struck out and when he gets out he hits major league pop ups they arent litttle league pop ups that are 15-20 feet in tyhe air they are like 100 feet in the air . Does anyone think he is major league talent?
        Are you kidding?! I'd probably Intentionally Walk him right now! Congrats there my friend!

Comment

• I haven't read any of the thread beyond the introductory post:

I use the radar gun but don't share the results with the players. I use it mostly during the season to try and detect a tired arm. It's also interesting to see a players increase from season ending to the start of the next year.

It's also interesting to see the differences that a change in mechanics make.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale
            Levi attended his first day of pitching camp today. It's the first time he's ever had someone "qualified" to teach him. I would guess there are about 50 kids there and the coaches seem to do a good job at watching each one. After the first day I am very pleased.
            Most of the day was spent on mechanics (which was what I hoped it would be). I hope my boy will listen and do as the coaches have instructed him to do.

Now a thought or two: I'm wondering if I've made a mistake about something. At some point I wonder when we are doing what's best for our kids or what "we" want? I'm really kind of in a funk about this. Here is the problem.... my boy begged my wife and I to let him play football. Of all things football camp is on the same day as baseball camp, and of all things the football camp is directly next to where the baseball camp is...I mean holy sh%t what are the odds of that?

My wife and I refused let him play football this summer. I really want him to play fall baseball and to be honest I don't want him to get hurt playing football. He is rather small for his age and I just don't think football is good for him - yet.

When we got out of baseball camp today I asked my boy if he had fun. He replied no that he didn't want to come back for the next two days because he wanted to go to football camp. I was shocked... He's always loved baseball and for the first time I see the "love" of the game fading from his eyes.

I don't know.....did I do the right thing? I honestly don't know. I fear that his mind isn't fully on pitching camp and he will not get out of it what he should get. Mike Lane of UNA is doing the pitching camp and from what I gather he is very good.

Oh well, I guess in the end we can only do what we think is best and live with our decisions. I hope he gets more interested in this pitching camp and really goes after it and soaks everything in. He's always had the drive inside himself to be the best...for the first time I'm not seeing that and it concerns me. Then again, it is only one day and maybe I'm over reacting....we'll see.

Sparks,
            I use the Winter for giving pitching camps, not at the end of a season. Of course if he plays fall ball he will have some practice for what he has learned but generally Winter is where that gives the most good.

Small kids play football all the time. If they can't take or initiate contact then the coach will hide them as a receiver or a defensive back depending on the league, etc. You can even talk to the coach about this if you want.

It's not that he wants to play baseball less, it's that he wants to play football. If you make him play fall ball he may resent it. I'll bet some of his friends are playing football and he wants to play for the social aspect of it.

To me there is a certain amount of a sport that a kid can play and benefit. Beyond that they are playing but not getting as much return. Shutting down after a good solid season and doing another sport or taking some time off is good.

Please don't let the fear of your son being too small stop you/him. Let him go out and decide for himself. Maybe he will go to camp and decide he doesn't like it, or play for a while and not go back the next year.

Comment

• as far as little league goes location is what matter most...you really don't even need movement

I would just teach my kid to hit spots and be a smart pitcher

after hes mastered spotting the fastball I'd teach him a changeup...and wait til he can spot that

then I'd teach him curves and sliders

the way I see it you can dominate little league with location

you can dominate HS with location and changing speeds

after that you need breaking balls
              "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

• Thanks WonderMonkey...

I think I've said before I use this message board as a diary of sorts. I reckon its kiind of a way for me to sound things off.

With that said I must say today has been a very down day for me. I can't remember when I have been so down. I can't get the words out of my mind that my boy said today "I don't want to go to pitching camp."

When we got home from camp I expected him to rush to the backyard and work on some of the things the coaches taught him today. For the first time EVER I couldn't get him in the backyard. He had no interest at all in working on his game. Today at camp the coaches told the kids they were going to have a competition (I think throwing strikes). I figured this would fire my boy up and he would want to do what ever it took to win.

Never before have I seen him unconcerned about baseball. He told me he didn't care how he did in the contest tomorrow.

I don't know...I'm really really down about this. I find myself wondering what I've done wrong. Yeah, I know it's just a kid and the silly game of baseball but he and I have shared so much of this game.

I don't know, the poor kid has been through so much. He has no idea where he will be living in a few weeks. His dad is 31 years old and has never had a job and will probably be going to jail for a long time. His mother was caught manufactoring drugs while he was in the house (which is why he has been living with us for the past three years).

It was my hope, or should I say my dream, that baseball would be his way out....kind of a salvation if you will. I know I've said it before but I'm honest when I say it.... he is the best 10 year old player I've ever seen. I hoped he would grab onto this talent of his and lean on it...

I don't know what tomorrow brings. I am fearing the worst. I think he has lost interest in baseball and my worst fear is he is simply losing interest in everything. I guess it must be hard on the little guy when he sees his dad sleeping 18 hours a day. His mother has never cared for anyone but herself.

In the end I've done the best I could. I just hope the man upstairs sees fit to help this little child out.

We have pitching camp for the next two days. I hope I see a change in him. I'm pretty sure I know what will happen tomorrow though. He has always won at everything he's ever done (in sports). He doesn't have a prayer of winning what ever contest Coach Lane is having tomorrow. There is one kid there that is bigger than the coach.....He is every bit of 6 foot and he told my boy that he throws 66mph. I believe him. It's the biggest 11 year old kid I've ever seen. This kid is a mountain but he is a nice young man. My guess is my boy will lose the competition tomorrow and that will be it for him. What ever interest he has in baseball will be gone.

Today was a bad day. We haven't had many bad days. Maybe tomorrow will bring us blessings that I couldn't see today. Tomorrow's seem to do that sometimes. Just when you least expect it tomorrow will take you places you've never dreamed of going.

Comment

• Sparksdale,

It sounds like the little fella has alot on his mind. Baseball is a great escape but I found with my son (13) he sometimes needs a break and to step away for a little while. Just because he appears to have waning interest doesn't mean that he has given up or given up on baseball.

I have gone throught bouts with my son where he seems uninterested in working out and off season prep and I have learned through trial and error during the off season when that happens to just back off and let him be a little boy and do little boy things, fishing, ride his bike, computer games, play with his friends etc. When he ready to start back do the things that he has the most fun with as a way to work back into the groove.

The good news is that after a break, my son seems to come back renewed and more excited than when we stopped.

You got one thing right, the man upstairs has a plan, just follow it.

Comment

• Now a thought or two: I'm wondering if I've made a mistake about something. At some point I wonder when we are doing what's best for our kids or what "we" want? I'm really kind of in a funk about this. Here is the problem.... my boy begged my wife and I to let him play football. Of all things football camp is on the same day as baseball camp, and of all things the football camp is directly next to where the baseball camp is
                    I'd let him play football if he really wanted to. Its a common worry among parents about injuries in kids football leagues but as long as its pre-high school, and a program where the body weights/ages of the kids are controlled where'as they play their own age/size, serious injuries are very unusual. In the 10+ years I coached kids football we never had one, tho we paid serious attention to fitness.

Nowdays a kid from 10yo to 15 yo playing little league can play an awful lot of baseball in one season, most of all if on a traveling team and/or playing fall ball. By the 2nd half of July its not unusual for a kid to say "I'm not playing next year", or, "I dont want to play tonight". My guy is going to end up playing over 60 games this year before its all over, and then throw in his clinics, pvt lessons, and Dad practices.

I try to give him one or two days a week without even picking up a baseball. His practices with me are short and positive and since he responds so well to pro clinics I send him to those, "the heck with the money". And "positive" with a kid, always "positive"! In order of importance my practice time with him is #1, "fun", #2, "positive", and #3, "instructional".

When you see your kid burning out you have to step back from the game a little.
                    "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

• Sparksdale,

My son sounds a lot like yours when he was 9/10. He loves to play baseball, but I found that after a full summer of ball he needed time off. It was very difficult for me because I wanted to continue working with him and improve his skills, but I found that I had to do it at his pace.

I realized that if he was going to play in HS, or beyond, he would have to want to. I cant force him. Therefore I backed off and encouraged him to play other sports like soccer, football and basketball. These give him the opportunity to try new things and make more fiends while still competing. What has happened is after a few weeks of time off, we slowing start throwing and hitting again and by the first of the year, he is ready to play baseball non stop. I really feel that if I had forced him to play earlier, he would be like a number of other kids that have completely quit playing.

I really think the time off not only allowed him to regain his passion to play but did him good physically. It allowed his arm to rest and by playing other sports, he is working muscles that help him in baseball but are not always used as much (not an expert so I can list any).

He is now 13 and going into the 8th grade. This summer he got the honor of playing with his HS team and going to camp with them. This has really motivated him to work more this off season (so far), but I fully expect that when school starts, he will need some down time. I plan on not pushing him and know that after a few weeks, he will be coming to me asking "Dad, do you want to throw some". That is always music to my ears.

My advice is just don't force him to play. Encourage but not force.

Good luck!
                      Last edited by dw8man; 01-25-2007, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Thanks WonderMonkey...
                        With that said I must say today has been a very down day for me. I can't remember when I have been so down. I can't get the words out of my mind that my boy said today "I don't want to go to pitching camp."
                        It shows how much you care about what he wants and not just what you want. I respect that.

Originally posted by Sparksdale
                        I don't know...I'm really really down about this. I find myself wondering what I've done wrong. Yeah, I know it's just a kid and the silly game of baseball but he and I have shared so much of this game.
                        I'll bet that is only partly true. You both have shared being together doing something that both of care deeply about. If you would have spent that time fishing together at a local pond you would feel the same way. And I bet you know that. So while baseball is the vehicle, the passengers are the more important thing.

I don't know, the poor kid has been through so much. He has no idea where he will be living in a few weeks. His dad is 31 years old and has never had a job and will probably be going to jail for a long time. His mother was caught manufactoring drugs while he was in the house (which is why he has been living with us for the past three years).

It was my hope, or should I say my dream, that baseball would be his way out....kind of a salvation if you will. I know I've said it before but I'm honest when I say it.... he is the best 10 year old player I've ever seen. I hoped he would grab onto this talent of his and lean on it...
                        He's too young to have that happen. Has he had a nice long season already? Probably. Has he enjoyed it and had success? Probably. What will the fall league get him -versus- not playing football, which is what he wants to do?

Many coaches will tell you that a key to success in one sport is playing others. There will be time in High School to focus on specifics.

I don't know what tomorrow brings. I am fearing the worst. I think he has lost interest in baseball and my worst fear is he is simply losing interest in everything. I guess it must be hard on the little guy when he sees his dad sleeping 18 hours a day. His mother has never cared for anyone but herself.

In the end I've done the best I could. I just hope the man upstairs sees fit to help this little child out.
                        He has. He sent you.

We have pitching camp for the next two days. I hope I see a change in him. I'm pretty sure I know what will happen tomorrow though. He has always won at everything he's ever done (in sports). He doesn't have a prayer of winning what ever contest Coach Lane is having tomorrow. There is one kid there that is bigger than the coach.....He is every bit of 6 foot and he told my boy that he throws 66mph. I believe him. It's the biggest 11 year old kid I've ever seen. This kid is a mountain but he is a nice young man. My guess is my boy will lose the competition tomorrow and that will be it for him. What ever interest he has in baseball will be gone.

Today was a bad day. We haven't had many bad days. Maybe tomorrow will bring us blessings that I couldn't see today. Tomorrow's seem to do that sometimes. Just when you least expect it tomorrow will take you places you've never dreamed of going.
                        Talk to him and ask him if he really wants to play football. If so maybe consider letting him attend the last few days of football camp. At the minimum let him know that after baseball camp is over you will help him get ready for when pee-wee football starts. If he is going to finish baseball camp let him know that maybe you made a small mistake in not listening to him, but sometimes adults make those mistakes.

Though I am tall (6'2") my son wasn't very big when he started playing football at the age of 10. His first year was all about learning to play the game and get used to the contact. He got a significant amount of playing time but that wasn't important to him. He was out there with his friends doing what he wanted to do. He is going into 8th grade now and we make sure we play a hard baseball season and shut down the second week in July. The boys take some time off and prepare for football.

We concious of the burnout. I think your kid (nephew?) would benefit more from being allowed to play football and then you working with him a few months before the next baseball season starts to improve his skills. He will be stronger from playing football and probably a tad more agressive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jake Patterson
                          I have been involved with LL for about twenty years. A word of caution.... I have more of an issue with clocking a ten year old than whatever it is he is throwing for speed. You may be setting him up for failure. He should be throwing whatever it is he can properly throw using good mechanics, if it's 50 so be it. If it's 30 so what... Be carefull. Put the Gun away until he's playing in high school.
                          Ding. Winner. I almost agree 100%. I use the gun here and there throughout the season to check for dead-arm, etc. I don't care what the numbers are actually I just want to spot trends. When using the gun the important thing is to use it so they don't know you are using it. Not easy. If I had to stand out in the open where the kids could see it then I wouldn't do it because I know what would happen. Since I can set it up behind the net out of the way I can use it.

I'd say I use it probably 5 times during the season. A few times at the beginning of off-season, right at the start of the season, and here and there during the season if I want to check dead-arm.

But really I agree with the spirit of your words.

Comment

• Originally posted by WonderMonkey
                            But really I agree with the spirit of your words.
                            Thanks,

I am unsure what you are checking with regards to "dead arm?" Good pitching coaches can spot pitcher fatigue long before the MPH's come down.

It is my opinion that using a gun for that particular purpose is the worse use of a gun as good youth pitchers will tend to overthrow once they become tired or inaffective. No one wants to be taken out of the game, particularly your best players or pitchers. The combination of overthrowing for speed while compensating for fatigue can end a pitchers career. I would evevn venture to say this is when most throwing injuries occur (I will check with ASMI on this).

Other things you can watch:
                            1. Sudden change in mechanics
                            2. Loss of control
                            3. Unusual arm throwing angles
                            4. Bad finish or lazy finish (Incomplete rotation)
                            5. Arm dangling to the side
                            6. Exessive sweating.
                            7. Exessive deep breaths (not power breaths)
                            8. Holding the arm.
                            9. Circling the arm.
                            10. Pitcher looking at the coach and or dad looking for help

Throw the gun away!
                            "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                            - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

I don't know what tomorrow brings. I am fearing the worst. I think he has lost interest in baseball and my worst fear is he is simply losing interest in everything. My guess is my boy will lose the competition tomorrow and that will be it for him. What ever interest he has in baseball will be gone.

Don't give up yet. My boy sounds similar to yours. When he was 9-10 he was into baseball for the length of the LL season and then wanted to move on. I'll admit that I've been one of those pushy dads since the first day I coached his minors team. I dragged him out to practice at all times of the year and frequently against his wishes. Sometimes he resented my obsession with baseball. Of course he played a variety of other sports, particularly basketball, and enjoyed them as much as he did baseball. Because I dragged him out so much, he became one of the better players in his age group, but was playing against a lot of kids older, bigger, stronger, etc.

Last year things changed. He is one of the kids affected by the age rule change. I wasn't sure how the age change was going to play out, so I proceeded under the assumption that last year was his last LL year. Before the season I made a deal with him that if he agreed to come out with me when I asked without complaining he would be one of the best players in the league by the end of the year. He agreed and stuck to it. By the end of the year he was one of the half dozen "big dawgs" in the league. He went on to play fall ball on a 14U travel team and played on a 14U indoor batting league over the winter.

By spring, of course, we knew that he had another LL year and he went into it motivated to be the best. And, he had a measuring stick because one of the best was already on our team. They had a friendly rivalry that inspired both to give their best efforts. Those two not only clearly dominated our team, they dominated the league to the tune of a 12-0 season. Since the LL season ended he has been playing on a 13-15 BR team with 7-8 of the best 15 yo's in the area. Of course, he is usually the smallest and youngest kid on the field, but has been holding his own against some pretty tough competition.

Bottom line is that he is as motivated as I've ever seen him about anything to play baseball at the highest level he can achieve. He is determined to play HS ball next spring even though he will be in the 8th grade, and from what I've seen he probably will.

There have been a lot of tears along the way, but I think if you asked him now he would say it was all worthwhile. Don't be discouraged, push him a little, but also let him know that he has some power to choose the things he wants to do too. My son has played just about every sport offered through the school system and town programs and has done reasonably well at each, but now recognizes that baseball is his strong suit. From now on my presence on his teams will be decreasing, but I know he is going forward with an understanding of what is necessary to master whatever discipline he chooses to pursue. As the NY cabbie said when asked how to get to Carnegie Hall, "practice, practice, practice." Good luck

Comment

• We just got home from the second day of pitching camp.

Today was a very good day.

Coach Lane used the radar gun for the kids today. My boy has been trying for months to hit 55mph. He hit 55 mph today and several pitches at 54 (he had never thrown faster than 53 mph before). Actually, the coach told me he threw about 60mph. He told me the gun takes the speed over homeplate and the result is usually a 5 mph difference. The way he explained it to me was he threw 60mph out of hand and 55mph over the plate. I've never heard of that before but I'll take the coaches word. 60 out of hand and 55 over the plate should be pretty good for a 10 year old.

Do you think my boy was/is excited today? I can tell you he is climbing the walls. His face is lit up and the joy of baseball is back.

They also had a contest to see which kid could throw the most strikes. My boy won that contest as well and they gave him a t-shirt.

Yes today is a very good day.

BTW:I'm going to talk to my wife tonight about letting him play football. She is the boss around here so she will have the last word on it.

One more day of pitching camp tomorrow. My boy has really learned a lot of things that I simply could not teach him. Not only is his velocity improved his mechanics are much better and he should throw a lot more strikes. Most of all he is excited today and for that I am thankful.

Sparks

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X