Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By the way.... the baseball fever app sucks. They’ve messed it up since I used it last

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
      He had 3 left. His former college coach gave him (I forget what it’s called) but because he played so little his last year he got an injury exemption (what ever that’s called). I know sparks had to drive down and get the paper.
      Medical redshirt. I’m not sure what the NCAA view of NJCAA medical red shirts would be. But the 4 year coach would know. Is he at a NCAA or an NAIA?

Comment

• NAIA and I know nothing about NAIA.

Comment

• Did the coach see him pitch when he was pitching well freshman year?

Comment

• Originally posted by JettSixty View Post

Medical redshirt. I’m not sure what the NCAA view of NJCAA medical red shirts would be. But the 4 year coach would know. Is he at a NCAA or an NAIA?
            It's a medical waiver. The NCAA schools honor the extra year.

Comment

• Originally posted by JettSixty View Post
              Did the coach see him pitch when he was pitching well freshman year?
              Jet;
              long story short. Sparks has been rehabbing for the past year with his high school pitching coach. His high school coach told the NAIA coach about Sparks. The college coach knows all about Sparks (the good and the bad) and basically wants to see 2 things from Sparks before he offers him a scholarship.
              1. Can he keep his grades up
              2. Wants to see where his arm is.

I had a long talk with Sparks. He knows this is his last shot. He is pretty much walking on and has to beat out scholarship players. He’s got a fight on his hands. It’s a long shot at best.
              He begged me to let him give it a shot. He misses the game and I think his little $8 an hour job opened his eyes to the world.

His arm is healthy. He’s throwing from the left field foul line to the right field foul line (long toss). He told me he’s never been able to throw that far before.

The big thing is grades. He just left and he’s going to be 8 hours away. It’s all up to him.

Sparksdale

Comment

• I thought about changing the title of this thread but either I couldn’t figure it out or it’s not allowed.
                I thought “Sparks Journey from Little League to College” would be a better title.

Comment

• I changed it for you Sparks if that's what you wanted to update it to...if you change(d) your mind just let me know, and I can change it back whenever.

mud -
                  In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

• That’s great thanks

Comment

• "I think his little $8 an hour job opened his eyes to the world."

heh, the Title could have been, "Hey Kid, Listen to pops, or You'll Have to Flip Burgers for $8/hr"
                      efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

• Sparks got to the school (after having major car trouble on the way).
                        He went straight to the field to see the coach.
                        when he got their 5 of the players were throwing up (workouts).
                        He ain’t in Kansas anymore lol!!!

The next day the coach went with him to get him signed up, getting all the papers in order and everything.

That was great of the coach.

They don’t have dorms. Sparks is renting a motel room while he looks for a place.

Tuition, apartment, living expenses, books....

I have no idea how we are going to pay for it all. I refuse to go in debt. After many years of being in massive debt I finally paid everything off a couple years ago. I like being debt free.

Its his last shot.

Good luck little Sparks.

Comment

• Just to repeat what has often been said, thanks for including us on this journey. The thread is a classic on many fronts!
                          RIP Joe Lindley (Jake Patterson) Oct. 25, 2019, Scott Sarginson (SSarge) Nov. 17, 2016, Donny Buster (Swingbuster) June 1st 2007. Greatly missed by so many!

Comment

• The coach calls it FU Friday.

Got a text from Sparks. Workouts at 6 am and he spent the past little while throwing-up!!

lol lol lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
                              The coach calls it FU Friday.

Got a text from Sparks. Workouts at 6 am and he spent the past little while throwing-up!!

lol lol lol
                              Yep, must be universal Sparks..haha! My son had workouts/running/sprints the last 2 mornings, same time 6AM. He said there were quite a few guys throwing up. He said "I felt like it and tried but I couldn't". He's in great physical shape as far as working out/weights and his arm is ready, but sprints, he said he hasn't ever ran like that for that long. Welcome to college son...LOL!
                              Ty Cobb-"Every great batter works on the theory that the pitcher is more afraid of him than he is of the pitcher."

Comment

• Really nice to see an update on this thread. It is quite the journey and it is still not over.

Glad to hear he made it through the rehab and still wants to get back in the game. Hope he most importantly keeps those grades up and secondly has much success with the new school.

Just a small side note my son wanted to do a pitching lesson on his 10th birthday in March this year. The pitching coach said he threw pretty hard so he wanted to measure the speed. My son threw 52mph. I found my way to this thread trying to determine if that was good, bad or average.
                                Last edited by steven-sq; 09-12-2018, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X