X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jake Patterson
    Thanks,

I am unsure what you are checking with regards to "dead arm?" Good pitching coaches can spot pitcher fatigue long before the MPH's come down.
    Agreed. Radar isn't my indicator, but a helpful tool.

Originally posted by Jake Patterson
    It is my opinion that using a gun for that particular purpose is the worse use of a gun as good youth pitchers will tend to overthrow once they become tired or inaffective. No one wants to be taken out of the game, particularly your best players or pitchers. The combination of overthrowing for speed while compensating for fatigue can end a pitchers career. I would evevn venture to say this is when most throwing injuries occur (I will check with ASMI on this).

Other things you can watch:
    1. Sudden change in mechanics
    2. Loss of control
    3. Unusual arm throwing angles
    4. Bad finish or lazy finish (Incomplete rotation)
    5. Arm dangling to the side
    6. Exessive sweating.
    7. Exessive deep breaths (not power breaths)
    8. Holding the arm.
    9. Circling the arm.
    10. Pitcher looking at the coach and or dad looking for help

Throw the gun away!
    I agree with what you are saying. Incorrect use of the gun is more down then up. I feel I use it has a helper.

Comment

• does anyone think he can be in the majors

this is my sosn sats
      avg hr rbi r sb cs obp w ibb
      917 14 35 21 19 0 950 10 15

pitching sats
      wins losses era Er so
      5 0 .23 1 43

cathcing stats
      sb cs E sb stolen bases of him
      3 22 1 cs people caught stealing

Comment

• Originally posted by baberuth7293
        this is my sosn sats

pitching sats
        wins losses era Er so
        5 0 .23 1 43

cathcing stats
        sb cs E sb stolen bases of him
        3 22 1 cs people caught stealing
        My only problem with the above is I have yet to see a youth team keep accurate books. So I would suspect the above is suspect.

I had a HS parent who was proud of his son's 32 stolen bases.... Long story short he didn't know the difference between a stolen base, passed ball and defensive indifference.
        Last edited by Jake Patterson; 07-19-2006, 05:59 PM.
        "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
        - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale
          I have a question. I am coaching Little League again this year and i am wondering about my boy.
          He has what I think is an amazing arm and I recently clocked him throwing 50mph. He is ten years old.

Does anyone know what is very good (speed) for a ten year old? Is 50mph just average, better than average, good, or great?

Oh and BTW: Yes I do stress strikes. This is just something I am wondering about.

Thanks
          I have a brother (11 yo) who's been clocked throwing strikes in game at 60 mph. The problem with the radar guns, though, is they fuel an insatiable lust for speed.

Comment

• can he be in the majors

this is my sosn sats 13 years old 5'10 220

pitching sats
            wins losses era Er so
            5 0 .23 2 43

cathcing stats
            sb cs E sb people who stole on him
            3 22 1 cs people caought stealing of him

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale
              I have a question. I am coaching Little League again this year and i am wondering about my boy.
              He has what I think is an amazing arm and I recently clocked him throwing 50mph. He is ten years old.

Does anyone know what is very good (speed) for a ten year old? Is 50mph just average, better than average, good, or great?

Oh and BTW: Yes I do stress strikes. This is just something I am wondering about.

Thanks

That's good for a 10 year old. I threw 55 in age 10 though. I'm just from a family of baseball.
              Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

this is my sosn sats 13 years old 5'10 220

pitching sats
                wins losses era Er so
                5 0 .23 2 43

cathcing stats
                13 y/o League: (25 games) X (4 AB's/game [Assuming he hits at the top of the order]) = 100 total plate appearences.
                If we assume he walked 30 times (He must been walked alot) that means 70 AB's
                This means he got a hit 64 out of 70 times? Not getting on base 6 times out of the 100?
                So he flew out, struck out, and grounded out only 6 out of 100 times.
                Can you post a clip of his swing???
                Last edited by Jake Patterson; 07-20-2006, 04:06 PM.
                "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

• Sparks, glad to hear things are looking up for the little fella. As I was scrolling through the last few days' messages on this thread and saw how down you were, I couldn't help but think back to the advice that I and a couple of others gave you some time ago about not getting too high or too low about the results of a particular days' events. This goes not only for the way he plays a game, but the way he lives his life.

I hope you've learned a little about him (and kids in general) over the last couple of days. Whenever my son makes a grand pronouncement about anything -- whether it's the sports he wants to play or what he wants for his birthday -- I always insist on waiting a couple weeks to see if the feeling lasts. And even then I don't make it irrevocable. I can't tell you how many time my son has told me that (a) he doesn't like baseball, and (b) I make him sign up and play it. However, on the other 95% of days, he drags me out to do drills with him and has a great time. Today was one of those days, where we worked on his infielding and hitting, and he had a great game this evening, spinning all sorts of smart and gracefully executed plays at second base, and being a good teammate. Remember that, with all the twists and turns in the boy's life, you've GOT to be the rock who doesn't get swept up in the emotion of the moment.

As for his playing football, he may be a bit "short", but he's not small. He looks very sturdy and he's got that determination. I bet he'd make a good offensive lineman; there's something very rewarding about being part of the pack working together to drive the offense down the field. It probably would be a good break for him.
                  sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

• hi

yes i will try to get my camrea to work and i will send u hi swing it is a great swing

Comment

• Babe, why do you keep posting this, and in a thread that has nothing to do with your 'son'? This assumes that there's an ounce of truth to your tale.

First, a thirteen year old kid who weighs 220 pounds likely has got some weight issues that better be addressed or he'll have no chance at a major league career.

Second, he's got almost no chance at a career without going through a college program, and I wonder how he'll get there with a 'father' who has no sense of spelling, grammar, diction, context, presentation, or deportment.
                      sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

• Ouch! IMO 13 is still a bit too young to be worried about playing in the majors. Ursa is right, college first then MLB. If half the kids out there playing baseball today knew the dramatic rates of "player drop off" they would go out and get golf clubs. From LL to high school the numbers decrease by at least seventy percent. College?? MLB???? One step at a time Babe.
                        You have to piss with the puppies before you can bark with the dogs. - SFC Norman Dutram, Company B, 242d Combat Engineers

Comment

do you think he can be a major league baseball player
                          No one can tell if you child is or is not going to be a major league ball player.

I think that just about every parent on this site dreams that their child is going to be good enough to play baseball at some significate level. That is the reason we are out here looking for more information to help us give our kids some advantage that others do not have or to get the most out of whatever God given talents they do have.

The reality is that the numbers are against us. We have to realize that most our children will probably not play a game of competive baseball after their 18th/19th birthday.

Now to the stats. They really do not mean anything in the context in which you have presented them.

Originally posted by baberuth7293
                          13 years old 5'10 220
                          Is he an "old" or "young" 13 yr old? Those 12 months can mean a lot.....
                          5'10" is a good size for a 13 yr old but doesn't mean he is going to grow another inch. My son has a friend who was 5'8" as an 11 yr old and is still 5'8" as an old 13 yr old. Everyone thought he was going to be huge. He will probably still grow but who knows.
                          220 lbs sounds good but is it fat or muscle? I would find it hard to believe that a 13 yr old has a lot of muscle mass to weight 220 without a good bit of fat to go with it.
                          Originally posted by baberuth7293
                          pitching sats
                          wins losses era Er so
                          5 0 .23 2 43

cathcing stats
                          You child's numbers appear to look good, but who were they against? What league is he in, where, and what age group (some current 13s could have played in 12 yr old leagues if their birthday fell at the right time)? Is the competition elites travel teams or community rec ball teams? And so on.....

IMO... the "experts" on this site seem to be more impressed with visual information, like videos of you child's swing, then with stats of what a kid has done (without more information). If you want to help your child, send in a clip and let them critique it.

Comment

• ok

he is in a 14-15 year old league he is strong not a 6 pack but not a bear belly he is in great shape and he just started to grow alot the doctor said that he might get around 6'5 i think he will be 6'4 i am 6'3 also i am going to buy a camrea just to show you his swing to show you how much better he is then your kids he turned 13 july 2nd

Comment

• Movie

Edited.....

Sparks
                              Last edited by Sparksdale; 07-28-2006, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• Ok, now you really need to be careful with statements like this:

to show you how much better he is then your kids
                                That by Baseball Fever standards could cause you to lose friends quickly here. No one here has said your son was no good. No one has said they didn't fully believe you. In fact everyone has offered advice to you. My advice was to slow down on the MLB talk. I wouldn't mention it personally until he becomes rated in Baseball America. That way you know there is more than an outside chance of him making it.
                                You have to piss with the puppies before you can bark with the dogs. - SFC Norman Dutram, Company B, 242d Combat Engineers

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X