Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm... didn't work. Try sending to [email protected].
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

• Last test and I give up.....

http://www.lamarcook.com/pittchingvideo.htm
      Last edited by Sparksdale; 08-19-2007, 05:19 PM. Reason: testing image

Comment

• Got it!! See you PM's

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
          Last test and I give up.....

http://www.lamarcook.com/pittchingvideo.htm
          Wow, that's great mechanics for an 11 year old, IMO.

Comment

• Nice looking motion, Sparks. Looks like your boy has stretched out a bit from the little muffin of a kid I saw from the earlier photos.

Seems like you and the coach have a nice solid motion going; I like the arm angle. If I'd work on anything, I'd try to keep the left hip, knee and foot closed a little longer as he "falls" in his stride, so that his hip "snaps" him around at the last second.

Take a look at this clip of the lower body action of Bartolo Colon, and you'll see what I mean:

(Thanks to JSiggy, from whose wonderful clip collection I'm 'stealing' the above clip.)
            sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

• The Season

Baseball fall season has finally arrived. My boy is playing both fall rec ball and travel ball on the weekends. It's not as bad as it sounds. We will play very few travel ball tournaments and fall rec ball is only two miles from my home.
              My boy eats and sleeps baseball so he loves playing all he can.

We had a first fall ball game this week. The coach made my boy the starting pitcher. As many of you are aware they only allow kids to pitch two innings in fall rec ball. My boy pitched the first two innings and did great. He struck out five batters and didn't allow a hit. The pitching coach I hired for him has, to say the least, done wonders....it's amazing. Now when my boy misses he misses by two or three inches....he used to miss the strike zone by feet - not inches. He's only had three lessons so my hope is that he will only get better.

One odd thing though....he seems to have lost about three miles per hour on his fastball. I'm not sure how big of a deal that is. I said something to the pitching coach about this and he said he expected that. He said until my boy learns the right way to pitch he will be more controlled and will naturally lose a little bit on his fastball. He also said that as my boys muscles learn and remember he will throw harder and for more strikes....it just might take a little time for him to adjust.

Anyway, in my area rec ball doesn't have the quality of players that travel ball does so the game he played in rec ball this week should be a good warm up for when he faces better players this weekend in our first travel tournament.

One thing I am proud of is my boy is having to work harder to be better but he doesn't mind. I actually have to tell him not to go in the backyard and rest his arm. He want's to throw every day and hit in the backyard everyday. I tell you the boy just loves baseball. The good thing is he doesn't mind working hard and maybe that will translate to other things in life.

Sparks

Comment

• FaLL Ball

My son is on a team away from his fellow players he has grown up around all of his life. I must say he seems to be a happy camper catching and getting down and dirty around a whole bunch of new kids. He has gone up to the big field and is adjusting well and popping the ball to all bases good. The manager and coach seem impressed with his skills for just stepping on the 90 ft field. the way it looks he will be doing most of the catching. He is bunting and hitting good for his size. Not powering the ball out to the fence, but making good contact.

Enjoying watching him grow up now.

drill
                Yogi Berra was asked by a reporter "How do you catch a knuckle ball?" He came right back and said "When it stops rolling"

Comment

He want's to throw every day and hit in the backyard everyday. I tell you the boy just loves baseball. The good thing is he doesn't mind working hard and maybe that will translate to other things in life. Sparks
                  It's OK to throw every day in season as long as his arm isn't stiff or sore. It's not OK to pitch too much. There's a difference. Throwing will build arm strength. However, it is important he not throw for about a three month offseason to rest up for the next season.

Comment

• update/news

Hello everyone,

First let me get a bit of personal news out of the way. My debut novel will be coming out in the next month or so. I've made a three-minute video which tells about my novel in case any of you are interested.
                    http://www.lamarcook.com/jolmovie.htm

About my boy. Sad news, his travel team disbanded for the fall. We played one tourney but we lost too many players (to football) and we were forced to shut down the team.
                    My boy is playing fall ball for the local rec team. The team he is on isn't very good and he's getting very frustrated with losing. I try to keep his spirits up but I swear the kid can't stand to lose.

The pitching coach he has been going to has worked wonders for him. He is really throwing a lot of strikes. So far he has pitched 5 innings in rec ball (as many of you know there is a limit of two innings pitched per game). Thus far he has struck out 12 batters in five innings and has given up no earned runs and two unearned runs. His pitching has been lights out but I'll be darn if he isn't in a hitting slump. We have done everything about his hitting and nothing has helped. I swear he looks like he's doing everything right so it must be something mental for him...I really don't know.
                    He tells me that he can't hit the pitching in rec ball because the pitchers are so slow. I think that is an excuse but last night he hit a shot to left that went 215ft in the air and hit the 225 ft. fence on one bounce. It just so happens that the pitcher he was facing was probably the fastest pitcher he has faced this year. So he can't hit slow pitching? I just don't know what to do about that.

Anyway, he is about to turn twelve. He's hitting 60mph on the gun regularly now and most importantly they are either strikes or close to a strike. I think 60 must be pretty good for an eleven year old. I'm really proud of how he has learned to throw strikes. Getting him a pitching coach was a sacrifice for my wife and I but I personally think it is well worth it.

Till next time,

Sparks

Comment

My boy is playing fall ball for the local rec team. The team he is on isn't very good and he's getting very frustrated with losing. I try to keep his spirits up but I swear the kid can't stand to lose.
                      This is a good opportunity to teach him not to concern himself with that he can't control. he can't control how other's play. He can't even control the end result of one of his pitches put in play. There will be bad days on good teams. This is an opportunity to teach him composure and control.

Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
                      He tells me that he can't hit the pitching in rec ball because the pitchers are so slow.
                      Never let this be an excuse. He has to adjust. If he's good enough to play at the high school level some pitchers throw upper 80's while others throw 80. A stud may through in the 90's. When he sees the slower pitcher at the high school level he can't complain. He has to adjust.

Also ask him what happens when a pitcher throws a change 10mph slower than his fastball. Pitching is about upsetting timing. Slower pitching can upset timing. Make him learn to adjust. The big thing is keeping the weight back. If nothing else I've seen hitters bail themselves out of committing too early by keeping their hands back.

My son and every other kid who has played the game in this generation has whined about slow pitching. It's because they never played pickup ball with the pitch being pussed up to the plate. Take him out and throw BP with slow pitching. Make him adjust.

Comment

• Fall season is over/my novel

Fall baseball season is over. Of course our last two games were rained out and my local league has never heard of making up games. I really don't like that, these kids work hard to play their games and then if it rains they wont make them up. I don't like that about rec ball at all. One year my boy played fall ball and I don't think they played more than 5 or six games.

I did want to tell everyone that my debut novel is now listed on Amazon.com. You can check it out if you like.
                        http://www.amazon.com/Journey-Life-L...3590007&sr=1-1

Till next season...

Sparks

Comment

Fall baseball season is over. Of course our last two games were rained out and my local league has never heard of making up games. I really don't like that, these kids work hard to play their games and then if it rains they wont make them up. I don't like that about rec ball at all. One year my boy played fall ball and I don't think they played more than 5 or six games.

I did want to tell everyone that my debut novel is now listed on Amazon.com. You can check it out if you like.
                          http://www.amazon.com/Journey-Life-L...3590007&sr=1-1

Till next season...

Sparks
                          Hey Sparks, just ordered- Looking forward to reading it. Good luck.

For those who don't know Sparkdale I would suggest you go back and review this thread. Its baseball (and being a great grandfather) at its best...
                          Jake

Comment

• Jake

Your very kind Jake...

My boy really misses baseball but in all honesty I think he is glad for the break. He's going to play basketball and I think he's looking forward to it.

All the best,

Sparks

Comment

• speed

I'm 13, and when I was ten I pitched a no hitter with 2 walks and no hits. I threw 55, at 4"7. I just got done with the fall I'm 5"1 and throwing 55 to 60, not to fast, but I strike people out with good placement and killer changeups.

Comment

• Long Time

It's been a long time since I've posted on the LL thread. I hope everyone is doing well.

My boy just finished with basketball and it will not be long before baseball starts again. Basketball is ok but it's not my boy's game. Baseball is his first love. We are really looking forward to baseball season again. He hasn't picked up a baseball or bat since baseball ended a few months ago. I think it was good to shut him down and leave the game for a while.

Anyway, his travel ball team isn't going to have enough players so they've decided not to try and have a team this year. This is a major disappointment to us. We really love travel ball. We love the idea of spending the weekend together as a family and my boy loves playing in tournaments against better players.

If anyone knows of a travel ball team (12 U) in the North Alabama area then please let me know.

BTW: If I have two major stars reading my novel which I published a few months ago. If you haven't checked out my novel I invite you to do so. You can find a link to my book on my website at www.lamarcook.com

Sparks

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X