This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
    We got word today.... my boy was told at practice he will be starting Monday against what many consider the best team in our state. It's my understanding that they have been scoring around 20 runs a game against the teams they've faced so far.

I usually make big goals (in my mind) before my boy pitches. I always want a no hitter and if that doesn't happen maybe a shutout. I think my boy giving up 3 or 4 runs to this team would be a great night....maybe better than great. It's a great hitting team and I just don't think at this age you can shut down "great hitting".

My boy is excited about this coming Monday..... i'm nervous. Three days from now will be the game of the year!

Sparks
    Sparks,a
    All you can do is all you can do.... Relax - and let him set his own goals... (respectfully of course)
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
      Sparks, All you can do is all you can do.... Relax - and let him set his own goals... (respectfully of course)
      Sparks, once the pitch leaves his hands, it's all in the hands of the gods -- except for the need to field his position. UMinor pitched three innings last night and gave up three runs and was upset, but I noted that all three runs were unearned, and two off the three hits of him came when teammates were inattentive or out of position. (E.g., a 20-hop grounder dribbled through because both the shortstop and second baseman ran to cover second on a hit-and-run and neither stopped to look up when the ball was hit.) And, he made two of the nine putouts (pop up to the mound and covered first on a grounder to the first baseman). He perked up after we talked it over.

Nervousness should come when he steps on the mound for the first time for a new team and has to prove to his coaches and teammates that he belongs there. By now, your boy has shown his mettle and earned the respect of coaches, teammates and opponents. It's the kids who worry about results who end up blowing up after a lucky hit or an error. UMinor may not be the best pitcher in the league, but he hangs in there even when things get a little hairy, and he never has given up more than two runs in an inning - ever. (On the other hand, he leads the world in "leaving the bases loaded when getting the final out" and, not coincidentally, heartburn attacks in his managers.)

The best advice is: "Just keep doing what got you here and, if they hit the ball, tip your hat to them and get ready to go get pizza after the game." If he starts to treat the game as a matter of life or death, he'll lock up or overthrow or start to nibble and end up walking people. And the best thing he can do before the first pitch is to think of his favorite joke and start laughing to himself. (Or maybe share it with his infielders and get them laughing too.) That can SOOOOO unnerve an opponent in a big game.

And don't get caught up in the team (or pitcher) wins record. That's not what they should be focussing on or learning at this stage.
      sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

• We played a double-header today.
        My boy had kind of a tough day.....
        The first game he didn't pitch and caught. He made two errors and went 0 for 2 at the plate. He's been working real hard on his hitting but he just couldn't seem to get in a rhythm batting today. Thats baseball I guess.

The second game was very tough for our team. For some reason they decided to have us play a JV team (9th and 10th graders), my boys team are 8th graders. It was clear that we were outmatched....boy was it clear.
        The coach wanted my boy to start and pitch only two innings so he would be ready to pitch this Monday in the big game I mentioned in my last post. My boy pitched great, he gave up 2 hits and one unearned run.
        In the 3rd inning our coach put our other top pitcher in (he throws just as hard as my boy does). They lit him up. One boy even hit a towering home-run that literally hit the scoreboard on a 360ft fence. He must have hit it 400 or more feet. Wow what a hit.
        Anyway, we lost that game 7 to 0. It's our worst game of the year but I thought we had some things to be positive about. There is a big difference between 8th graders and 10th graders. They were just bigger, faster and more experienced that we are. I hope it was a good learning experience for our team

It was a fun day though....nothing like a Saturday full of baseball!

Two days until the big game!

Sparks

Comment

• Anyway, we lost that game 7 to 0. It's our worst game of the year but I thought we had some things to be positive about. There is a big difference between 8th graders and 10th graders.
          How could it be the worst game of the year? If you go into as anything other than a fun learning experience and start worrying about performance, you're fools. And "big difference"? No kidding -- it's called 'shaving', among other things.

Treat it as an honor to be able to hang with 'em at all and throw out the score. And Young Master "Can throw as fast as my boy" learned a valuable lesson -- there aren't many kids who can get by with just speed as they move up the food chain. You gotta learn to pitch.

Not sure why you're playing a doubleheader two days before the biggest game of the year when you don't have to (i.e., it's not a rainout makeup of a league game). Guess that's why I don't make the big money coaching middle school ball.
          sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ursa Major View Post
            How could it be the worst game of the year? If you go into as anything other than a fun learning experience and start worrying about performance, you're fools. And "big difference"? No kidding -- it's called 'shaving', among other things.

Treat it as an honor to be able to hang with 'em at all and throw out the score. And Young Master "Can throw as fast as my boy" learned a valuable lesson -- there aren't many kids who can get by with just speed as they move up the food chain. You gotta learn to pitch.

Not sure why you're playing a doubleheader two days before the biggest game of the year when you don't have to (i.e., it's not a rainout makeup of a league game). Guess that's why I don't make the big money coaching middle school ball.
            Ursa the reason we played a double header two days before the big game is.... you are right.... it was make up games. We were supposed to play another team yesterday but for some reason they couldn't make it so a JV team offered to play us.
            Also you are dead right again.....the more I think about it the more I like it. Our boys were able to hang with the older players and as always you make me see things the way I should. I think after all is said and done our boys really enjoyed playing against the older kids. I saw a few of them last night and that's all they talked about is how they played the 9th and 10th graders....also we were told there was an 11th grader on that team as well. They didn't talk about the first game that we won 9 to 2.....no they talked about the game we lost to the JV team 7 to 0. Tell you something else.....when they talked about it they were all smiling. They were kinda proud of themselves. Man is baseball a great game or what? Even when you lose you win and find joy.

Sparks

Comment

• Good to hear about the kids' pride in taking on the older kids, and props to the older kids for being willing to take 'em on in a 'no win' circumstance for them.

One of the great benefits of just watching, much less playing, high school kids (assuming that they're coming from a good program) is that kids can see what hopefully will be the more mature and team-oriented deportment of the highschoolers. It makes kids want to be like them, and -- to achieve that -- they obviously have to stay in the game and work hard to get there by the time they're of high school age. (Too many top athletes drift away from baseball right after middle school. The best 10 year old outfielder I ever saw is now on the school lacrosse team, frevvinsakes.)

By way of example -- we had a great moment last weekend when our HS JV team played on a field right near the local sporting goods store/warehouse that is 'mecca' for buying baseball equipment in Northern California. After the game, about half the players went over to shop for equipment -- still in uniform. We saw a kid in a uniform from our old rec league's 9 - 10 y/o division and started chatting with his dad, and we pointed out to them around the store a half dozen kids in the HS uniform who'd also started out in that rec league, several of whom - like Ursa Minor -- at that youngster's age had been skinny little sticks and hadn't been all-stars. The kid was glowing and you could see the message that he received -- stick with it and you too could be wearing this uniform.

Comment

• We played the big game tonight....or should I say "games" (we played a double-header).

I talked to some people there about the team we faced. Come to find out they were undefeated on the season and have been beating most of the teams they play by 15 or 20 or more runs. I knew several of the players from our old travel ball days. Many of them were the same kids that won several state championships in travel ball.

My boy was sheduled to pitch the second game.... more on that later. The first game I clocked the other pitchers fastball as high as 78mph. I mean my God that boy could sling it. But our boys found a way to hit him and we won the game 9 to 5! It was a great game and we spoiled their undefeated season!

Ok, now the second game. I tell you my boy pitched the game of his life. I kid you not when I tell you the kids on this team were hitting crazy.....many tell us the best hitting team in our state and I don't doubt it at all. Without a doubt the best hitting team I've ever seen. MY BOY HAD A NO HITTER GOING INTO THE 5TH INNING!!!! He was simply freaking lights out.
                Going into the 5th inning the score is tied at 0 to 0.....neither team can do anything offensivly.
                In the end my boy gave up 3 hits in the 5th inning and walked one and gave up 3 runs. In the end he/we lost the game 3 to nothing. My boy gave up three hits and struck out 4.

The sad part is my boy took it really hard..... I mean really really hard. In my opinion he pitched the best he's ever pitched in his life and got the loss and he just doesn't understand it. I don't know what to tell him. I've told him how great he did but he just doesn't want to hear it. Baseball is a great game but man it's bad when you play the game of your life and lose.

It is my hope that my boy learns from this..... maybe in the long run it will make him a better player and who knows, maybe even a better person. It's hard to learn how to lose but baseball is like that... kind of like life in a way.

Sparks

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
                  The sad part is my boy took it really hard..... I mean really really hard. In my opinion he pitched the best he's ever pitched in his life and got the loss and he just doesn't understand it. I don't know what to tell him. I've told him how great he did but he just doesn't want to hear it. Baseball is a great game but man it's bad when you play the game of your life and lose.
                  Sparks
                  Mini-Jake was like this... After a particularly hard loss in HS (a number of years ago) we went home and was beside himself... I had a clip of Bob Feller pitching and was (purposefully) watching it when MJ came down for dinner.... "Who's that? He doesn't look that good."
                  After a short discussion about how even the best have good and bad days... and good days that seem bad... he got it. "And by the way son.... that's Bob Feller... he was one of the best ever."
                  "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                  - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

• Sparks, sounds like he did a great job. At that age level, you'd be happy to give up three runs in five innings against just about anyone, much less the type of hitters he was facing last night.

If you're not getting beat once in awhile, you're not facing tough enough competition. I'll leave ya with this famous quote from Robert Browning, “Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?”

Comment

• We found out something today about our last game...as it turns out the other team put 4 of their JV players on the team that night just for the game against us. From what I gather they had a perfect season going and they didn't want to take any chances. Well be beat them the first game and played tough the second.

Doesn't surprise me though.... this team has been known to do things like that.

I thought my boy did outstanding.....giving up 3 hits to that team. Yet he's still not over it. We had another game tonight and he went O for 2 with one walk and made two more errors. One was a really tough error and the other was a ball right between his legs (both while playing SS). I'm sure he'll learn from all this.

Ursa I agree about playing the tougher competion. It really is a lot more fun. Everyone on both sides the other night was talking about BOTH teams pitching. It was amazing whatching those kids. I love it.

Sparks

Comment

• Last week of baseball....we are having a season ending tournament with 6 teams involved.
                        Tonight we played a double header and won both games so we will play for the championship on Saturday.
                        Tomorrow the other pool plays and we will see who we have to face......no doubt we will be facing our crosstown rivals that I've mentioned on my previous few post. I just can't see either of the teams they are going to play beating them.

I'm sure they will load their team with several JV players again.....so be it. If that's what they have to do then fine....we beat them one time with a stacked team and my boy had a no hitter against them going into the 5th.

We haven't been told who will be the starting pitcher yet but I'll be surprised if it isn't my boy. My boy did pitch one inning tonight for a save but he should be fine to pitch Saturday. I know he wants to pitch against them again. It will be a tough game and my boy will have to have his best stuff but win or lose it should be a good game.

Sparks

Comment

• Kinda fast for a 10 year old, but I wouldnt use radar guns. I wouldnt tell him how fast he is. I would motivate him, so he doesnt get complacent with his arm.
                          MySpace Codes

Comment

• Maturing seems to even things out.

IMHO,

drill
                            Yogi Berra was asked by a reporter "How do you catch a knuckle ball?" He came right back and said "When it stops rolling"

Comment

• Huh?

Originally posted by stejay View Post
                              My life baseball stats. SS-
                              batting average- 1.944
                              On base precentage- 1.628
                              Slugging percentage- 3.230
                              Total bases- 1744.
                              Stejay, How in the world can you have a batting average and an OBP OVER 1.000?:noidea

Comment

• I really don't know....I didnt do the math...A website did it, when I put in my accurate stats...I really haven't noticed till now tbh
                                MySpace Codes

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X