This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tg643 View Post
    From being in the software industry I always reponded, "You were the beta testing."
    I love that! Awesome!

Comment

• Yesterday was to be the first full practice of the year. Actually was going to be my boys first practice as a high school freshman. Coach told us at the boosters meeting that for the first week freshmen through varsity would practice together for the first week then after that they would split up the practices.

I was so looking forward to seeing my boy practice along side the varsity players and looking forward to seeing him practice for the first time this year.

Wouldn't you know it.... this past weekend he goes out with his friends and eats Chinese food. Makes him sick as a dog and misses school the next day and of course practice. Geeeeezzzzzz

Sparks

Comment

• the first week freshmen through varsity would practice together
        Yea, our frosh got to shag balls last year. They looked like runts compared to the Seniors I'm pretty sure the coach did this on purpose (I would).
        Last edited by songtitle; 02-01-2011, 09:24 AM.
        efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

• The coach gave everyone the rosters for Varsity, Jr Varsity and Freshmen.
          Only two SO made the Varsity (my boy tells me they are very good players) and no Freshmen made Varsity or Jr. Varsity.

Looks like we have a smart coach. He told us at the first meeting (after he had been promoted to head the baseball program) that he wanted to rebuild our program into a top school in our state. He went as far to tell us that he was thinking down the road and the program may suffer for a couple of years at first. He was talking about the lack of talent among our Sr's and Jr's. Even though we are a 6A school there are only 3 Sr's on the team.

Looking at our roster for the beginning of the year he has kept all of our Freshmen together. I love it....these boys can stay together until they grow and learn more about the game....maybe even have a little fun along the way.

First game is in two weeks!

Sparks

Comment

• Seems that your son (and in a sense yourself) are fortunate to play for a coach with a long term goal, rather than just "doing the best he can with what he has to work with" each and every year. While it may be a couple of disappointing years for the upperclassmen, in order to make the program the best it can be in the long run . . . IMO he's doing all the right things.

Congrats to your son and please keep us posted on his and his teams progress this season, it been fun and interesting "watching him grow" here on the Internet . . . you've done a fine job in your reporting and definitely with your son in his progression.

mud -
            In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

• Bat

Well, sometimes life just kicks you I guess.

Today a couple of my boys teammates were using his bat for batting practice. They were using some kind of metal tea and they hit the bat on the end of the tea and ruined his bat. The bat is out of warranty so....crap...... They cost so much money now days....it's a big expense right now.

Comment

• When I decided to keep this thread going I said I would do it warts and all....well today is one of the "WARTS".

As a parent you try to prepare your child for the world the best way you know how. The only thing I've learned so far is that I know I'll pretty much get it wrong every time.

It is one year ago today that it happened to one of my boys best friends, who was also on his baseball team. No one knows why, some say he was just playing around and playing a joke on his parents others say that he....well... it's too hard to say the words. A year ago today this boys mother went into his bedroom to tell him that the pizza had arrived. What she saw was the worst thing a mother could imagine. Her young 14 year old child was hanging from the ceiling.

Aside from the fact that it tore this family to shreds it also effected my boy and effected him deeply. Today all the ball players are going to meet at a local park to remember this young man.

One of the memories I have from a year ago was my boy was pitching in our first game of the season. We were playing one of the top 6A schools in our state and no one gave us a chance. The coach honored my boy by letting him be the first starter of the year. My boy pitched one of his best games ever....he gave up two hits in 6 innings and didn't walk a batter. We won the game 2 to 0. The coach was forced to take my boy out of the game in the 6th inning because of the pitch count. As he walked off the mound everyone stood and clapped for him and I could see he was smiling and he pointed to the sky and I could see him mouth his friends name who had left us.

You know.... I want my boy to throw 100mph and hit 50 home-runs and make all A's. Each day as I go through this thing of raising him I realize most all of it is out of my control. The best I can do is the best I can do and always do it with love. Today breaks my heart for my boy.....he's so very sad and there's nothing like seeing your child sad.

I don't know what to tell him today.....I mean what is there to say? Maybe I'll just smile and let him know I'm here for him and if he wants we can throw a few balls in the backyard.

Sparks

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
                  When I decided to keep this thread going I said I would do it warts and all....well today is one of the "WARTS".

As a parent you try to prepare your child for the world the best way you know how. The only thing I've learned so far is that I know I'll pretty much get it wrong every time.

It is one year ago today that it happened to one of my boys best friends, who was also on his baseball team. No one knows why, some say he was just playing around and playing a joke on his parents others say that he....well... it's too hard to say the words. A year ago today this boys mother went into his bedroom to tell him that the pizza had arrived. What she saw was the worst thing a mother could imagine. Her young 14 year old child was hanging from the ceiling.

Aside from the fact that it tore this family to shreds it also effected my boy and effected him deeply. Today all the ball players are going to meet at a local park to remember this young man.

One of the memories I have from a year ago was my boy was pitching in our first game of the season. We were playing one of the top 6A schools in our state and no one gave us a chance. The coach honored my boy by letting him be the first starter of the year. My boy pitched one of his best games ever....he gave up two hits in 6 innings and didn't walk a batter. We won the game 2 to 0. The coach was forced to take my boy out of the game in the 6th inning because of the pitch count. As he walked off the mound everyone stood and clapped for him and I could see he was smiling and he pointed to the sky and I could see him mouth his friends name who had left us.

You know.... I want my boy to throw 100mph and hit 50 home-runs and make all A's. Each day as I go through this thing of raising him I realize most all of it is out of my control. The best I can do is the best I can do and always do it with love. Today breaks my heart for my boy.....he's so very sad and there's nothing like seeing your child sad.

I don't know what to tell him today.....I mean what is there to say? Maybe I'll just smile and let him know I'm here for him and if he wants we can throw a few balls in the backyard.

Sparks
                  Sparks,
                  the reasons youngsters take their own lives are way too numerous to discuss here with any competence. Chemical imbalances, learning and emotional disabilities, psychological disorders, social anxieties, depression, environment, drugs can all have a play... For many parents, family members, and friends left behind the biggest issue they deal with is the feeling I could have done more... In most cases this is not true... If mini-Sparks was a good friend then that is all he could have done.

PM me I have further info I can provide.
                  "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                  - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Sparks, I think you just follow his lead, but try not to make anything more about than he's inclined to. It sounds as though he dealt with it magnificently a year ago, and -- while the memory of it today will touch him again -- most teenagers tend to slough off death as something very distant to them, though it may come back at odd moments. As you note, sometimes it's other parents who feel the loss the most, because they know the pain of losing someone to death and the reminder that it can even take the form of what you rightly call 'the worst nightmare' is very troubling. But I wouldn't initiate any recognition of it, lest he feel guilty that he's maybe not taking it as hard as he "ought to".
                    sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

• After a horrible day yesterday there was a bit of sunshine today.

I know many of you could care less but I thought I'd pass it along anyway. The coach is gunning the boys this week and he gunned my boy's group today. He hit 79mph with a jugs gun. Not bad for a 15 year old freshman.

Sparks

Comment

• Not bad Sparks. Keep the updates coming...this thread is like a good book...

Comment

After a horrible day yesterday there was a bit of sunshine today.

I know many of you could care less but I thought I'd pass it along anyway. The coach is gunning the boys this week and he gunned my boy's group today. He hit 79mph with a jugs gun. Not bad for a 15 year old freshman.

Sparks
                          Not bad at all.... But get rid of the gun!!
                          "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                          - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

• Update:

Not a lot to report but we have been practicing a good bit the past couple of weeks. Our first game is next week so the season will start.

This week (the past three days) 4 of the freshmen have been practicing with the Varsity as they have been having scrimmage games every day to get used to live game speed. My boy is one of the freshmen who've been practicing with the Varsity. He hasn't gotten a hit yet but has hit the ball against Varsity pitchers...most of his hits are soft grounders and he get's thrown out...never the less he has been making contact against pretty good pitchers. Yesterday he batted against our Varsity's best pitcher.....the boy's dad told me he's been clocked at 85mph and yesterday it looked like he was hitting it. My boy got two foul balls and then struck out..... it was fun to see him bat of this kid who was throwing some serious heat.

On defense he's played 2and base, SS and yesterday he caught. He did an outstanding job catching yesterday and threw two runners out trying to steal....his arm looked very good.

He told me last night that he's pretty sure he will pitch today.

I don't know what's going on with my boy lately......he almost never talks to any of us and he doesn't look like he's having as much fun playing. Also, and this is very important, for the first time he isn't doing any work at all away from the field on his game. He is supposed to do arm bands and light weights every night that the pitching school told him to do and we can't get him to do them anymore. He isn't doing any batting away from the field or any pitching. Basically all he is doing in baseball is when they practice.....

I don't know.... having a 15 year old kid is nuts. I mean I just don't understand what's in his head and getting him to talk is like pulling teeth. I just hope he isn't losing his love for the game but for the first time I'm starting to see that he doesn't love it like he once did.

I think what is all boils down to is this....MOTIVATION. I hate to say it and it's hard for me to say, but I just can't seem to get my boy motivated. I know I must be doing something wrong but I just don't know what to do.

We were contacted by some group called "Perfect Game" and they invited him to a showcase this June. I told him about it and he was interested but kinda like ...." yeah I'd like to go".....and that's it. We aren't going to be able to do it anyway because we can't come up with the money. It's very expensive and by the time you pay for travel and motel and food and the entry fee....well we just can't come up with that kind of money. But, my point is even though I told him about it it seemed to go in one ear and out the other.

If any of you have any ideas about "motivating" a 15 year old.....I'm all ears.

Sparks

Comment

• Sparks, this could be my son you're talking about. 3-4 hours of practice a day at school is plenty. PG is the place to showcase, but you don't really need that until his Jr year (maybe next year, just to get a feel for it).
                              efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

• Sparks

Your son doesn't need to attend a PG event until you think he's a college prospect. This means a college coach would be impressed with what he sees in the moment. I also sent you a PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X