• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    tg643
    Team Veteran

• tg643
    replied
    You can always find the exception to the rule whether it be a handful of players or an organization or two. In the big picture I'll continue to stand behind my position on the issue.

Leave a comment:

• mudvnine
    Super Moderator

• mudvnine
    replied
    Originally posted by Encinitas View Post
    ....and it looks like B-team kids are starting to commit D1 too.
    Forget kids committing to college.....

The 90th pick in this year's MLB June draft played on his organization's "B" team.....the kid ahead of him on the "A" team went #78.

The organization had a total 10, 2012 HS players drafted this year from their "A" & "B" teams (1 first rounder, 2 second rounders, a third rounder, and on down) .....and 18 in total. Fourteen of the 18 signed, and two others (another 2012 HS graduate) signed as free agents.

As of last year's collegiate season, the organization had 61 players playing D1 ball (freshman through seniors), and umpteen others playing D2, on down through JC ball someplace....unfortunately, 16 year olds have a difficult time making this organizations "A" & "B" team, regardless of how good they are.

Much depends on which part of the country the opinions of the posters come from.....this is a SoCal organization.

BTW, in the 2011 MLB draft, they had 13 of their HS players drafted (four of them in the 1st round).....and 24 players in total if you count their college team(s).
    mudvnine
    Super Moderator
    Last edited by mudvnine; 08-06-2012, 04:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tg643
    Team Veteran

• tg643
    replied
    Originally posted by Encinitas View Post
    TG I have to disagree about all good 16s playing up on 17 teams, at least down here it is so hard just to make the A-team for an elite club that is in your age group and they now go all the way to a D-team and it looks like B-team kids are starting to commit D1 too. If I look at say the Orlando Scorpions elite 17U team I see 4 2014s on a team of 23. I do agree with what you are trying to get across to Sparks which is a strong dose of realism, I have no problem with that, you are very good about this. Where I disagree is the notion that there are a ton of 16Us playing on 17U elite teams. I would hate to toss a bucket of water on some kid's dream because he couldn't play up in summer ball, it's really hard to make these teams, some kids come from as far as Tallahassee and Ft. Myers to Orlando (total oppo ends of the state) to get on teams like the Scorps or FTB Mizuno. I just checked the roster of the 17U Scorpions a local team who does pretty well nationally. Their commitments breakdown like this:

UCF - 4
    FSU - 4
    Florida - 4
    Ole Miss - 2
    Stanford - 1
    Auburn - 1
    Fla. Int' - 1
    Fla. Gulf Coast - 1
    S. Car. Upstate - 1

23 kids, 19 committed, and at least 3 that are not, are total big-time D1s just haven't committed for whatever reason.
    19 - 2013
    4 - 2014

The 2014 committments - Ole Miss, UCF, Fla. St., To me it looks like the one kid not committed as a 2014 was added late in the season. Plus we don't know if all of these kids are 2014's who were held back or what. Some of the 2014s that play 16U ball are going to be getting D1 offers soon enough.
    I didn't say "tons." I said "the best." If a kid is playing 16U chances are the college coaches can wait a year to see them.

Leave a comment:

• tg643
    Team Veteran

• tg643
    replied
    Originally posted by songtitle View Post
    If TG didn't do it, it doesn't exist :o

June:
    - PG 16U BCS Finals, Ft Myers

July:
    - WWBA 16U National Championship, East Cobb
    - 16U PG World Series, East Cobb
    - 16U Cup, USA Baseball, NC

Aug:
    - 16U Labor Day Classic, Ft Myers

Orlando Scorpions 16U schedule
    You listed 16U tournaments, not college/pro prospect showcases. As fot the term college/pro prospect showcase" any idiot can run one. What matters is if college coaches and pro scouts show. I/ve heard many complinats about no name showcases where only a handful of coaches appeared. The key is nort who has been invited. The key is the history of what teams coaches and scouts have appeared in the past.

When I ran a 16U team we signed up for a 16U D2 showcase. I knew it wasn't going to be a big deal. I told the players and parents as such. It was the only tournament available in the area that weekend. The only college coach in attendance was the coach of the team running the showcase. It was also mandatory to pay to stay in their dorms and pay for the food in their cafeteria. The tournament should have been called the "Pay for our spring trip" tournament.
    tg643
    Team Veteran
    Last edited by tg643; 08-06-2012, 01:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Encinitas

• Encinitas
    replied
    TG I have to disagree about all good 16s playing up on 17 teams, at least down here it is so hard just to make the A-team for an elite club that is in your age group and they now go all the way to a D-team and it looks like B-team kids are starting to commit D1 too. If I look at say the Orlando Scorpions elite 17U team I see 4 2014s on a team of 23. I do agree with what you are trying to get across to Sparks which is a strong dose of realism, I have no problem with that, you are very good about this. Where I disagree is the notion that there are a ton of 16Us playing on 17U elite teams. I would hate to toss a bucket of water on some kid's dream because he couldn't play up in summer ball, it's really hard to make these teams, some kids come from as far as Tallahassee and Ft. Myers to Orlando (total oppo ends of the state) to get on teams like the Scorps or FTB Mizuno. I just checked the roster of the 17U Scorpions a local team who does pretty well nationally. Their commitments breakdown like this:

UCF - 4
    FSU - 4
    Florida - 4
    Ole Miss - 2
    Stanford - 1
    Auburn - 1
    Fla. Int' - 1
    Fla. Gulf Coast - 1
    S. Car. Upstate - 1

23 kids, 19 committed, and at least 3 that are not, are total big-time D1s just haven't committed for whatever reason.
    19 - 2013
    4 - 2014

The 2014 committments - Ole Miss, UCF, Fla. St., To me it looks like the one kid not committed as a 2014 was added late in the season. Plus we don't know if all of these kids are 2014's who were held back or what. Some of the 2014s that play 16U ball are going to be getting D1 offers soon enough.

Leave a comment:

• tradosaurus
    Team Veteran

• tradosaurus
    replied
    What kinds of bad things can happen if a radar gun is used? These bad things won't happen after kids are 14?
    Kids don't fully develop until late teen years.

Having a kid know his pitching speed will naturally cause him to want to beat that score.

You are asking for developmental and physical issues when a kid pushes himself (or the parent pushes the kid) too hard at a young age.

Patience is the key with developing pitchers at an early age.

Leave a comment:

• Jake Patterson
    Coaching 101 Moderator

• Jake Patterson
    replied
    What kinds of bad things can happen if a radar gun is used? These bad things won't happen after kids are 14?
    I think we beat this to death.... First- using chronological age is wrong with this topic. JMHO

Leave a comment:

• songtitle
    Baseball Voodoo

• songtitle
    replied
    Originally posted by tradosaurus View Post
    radar guns, which I also believe should not be used below high school age

Leave a comment:

• tradosaurus
    Team Veteran

• tradosaurus
    replied
    Originally posted by jojab View Post
    You still can't answer my question, can you?

Here is what I find interesting about your comments. By your own admission, scouts use radar guns to pick kids out if a crowded field. Now, do you think the scouts after reading the radar guns will select the pitchers throwing 83 to 85 mph but with exceptional control or the ones throwing 95 mph?

Yet you have no interest in using a radar gun to train your pitchers? You have no interest in using a tool that might motivate little Jonny to want to throw harder. No -- we don't want little Jonny throwing harder. He might hurt himself.
    I know this is an old post (July 2006) but reading about radar guns, which I also believe should not be used below high school age, I wonder how jojab son is doing?

BTW, I have never gunned my 13 yo son and he has pitched since he was 9 yo. I've stressed mechanics over speed with the emphasis on throwing as hard as you can control. After his 2nd yr of travel ball he has worked to the #1 spot as pitcher. There was one or two games in a tournament where I saw him throw as hard as I've ever witnessed (majority strikes). He did this on his own because his body felt good that game.
    tradosaurus
    Team Veteran
    Last edited by tradosaurus; 08-06-2012, 06:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• songtitle
    Baseball Voodoo

• songtitle
    replied
    If TG didn't do it, it doesn't exist :o

June:
    - PG 16U BCS Finals, Ft Myers

July:
    - WWBA 16U National Championship, East Cobb
    - 16U PG World Series, East Cobb
    - 16U Cup, USA Baseball, NC

Aug:
    - 16U Labor Day Classic, Ft Myers

Orlando Scorpions 16U schedule

Leave a comment:

• tg643
    Team Veteran

• tg643
    replied
    tg, I'm pretty sure they have 16U showcase ball where some of the best players play.
    If 16yo's are good enough they typically play up to 17/18U.

Leave a comment:

• songtitle
    Baseball Voodoo

• songtitle
    replied
    Originally posted by tg643 View Post
    It's 16U? It's not a showcase. The best sixteen year olds are usually playing 17/18U showcase ball.
    tg, I'm pretty sure they have 16U showcase ball where some of the best players play.
    songtitle
    Baseball Voodoo
    Last edited by songtitle; 08-05-2012, 07:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tg643
    Team Veteran

• tg643
    replied
    It's 16U? It's not a showcase. The best sixteen year olds are usually playing 17/18U showcase ball.

Leave a comment:

• raptor

• raptor
    replied
    Did fine in pool I mean..then bracket play ran into a good freshman pitcher.

Leave a comment:

• raptor

• raptor
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
    Just got back from our first travel ball tournament.
    It was an odd tournament.. something called a showcase tournament that didn't give teams any points but was a showcase for some of the top travel teams around our part of the country. It was also a wood bat tournament.

We didn't win. The first day killed us. We tied the first game and lost the second game. The next day we won both games. Now this is the crazy part....we weren't allowed to play in the championship day because of the tie. Yet the two games we beat today were the #1 and #2 seed in the tournament. Everyone lost a game. We only lost 1 game but they told us the tie was considered a loss. My point was if that is your rules then they need to allow the teams to play where there isn't a tie because we got the small end of the stick.

Never the less they didn't agree with our arguments and we are coming home a day early.

My boy had a great tournament. It's my understanding that these were some of the top 16 and under teams in the South in this tournament so it was a good test for us. My boy ended up (in the four games we played) with an even .600 batting average with a huge stand up triple and a solid double among his hits. I think he walked like 3 times or something like that and was hit by a pitch so his on base % was somewhere around .800 or so.

He also pitched one game.... the game we lost. He gave up three hits and 1 earned run (2 unearned runs, which is 3 total). The coach pulled him in the 7th inning with us down 3 to 2.

I thought the wood bat tournament was a lot of fun..... I would love to do more of those. The kids seemed to enjoy it.

Sparks
    Originally posted by tg643 View Post
    To be honest, it couldn't have been much of a showcase if 82 was the 7th fastest time. The one's my son did there were more than seven kids hitting 90. You are right about pitching. My son's team would go to the eight game tournaments with fourteen pitchers. Trade is right about showcases opening eyes. Perfect Game showcases showed my son there are hundreds more similar in ability. It was then he got serious about differentiating himself from the pack and trained even harder.
    Sparks and his story was the reason I joined this site after reading his whole journey. Compelling read.
    it was the usssa 16u championships.
    http://www.usssa.com/sports/Tourname...amentID=805350

No Calif or tx teams and ecb has top teams playing elsewhere right now but it looks like most of the top south Florida teams were in attendance. Sparks..your boys team did fine in bracket play..just ran into the freshman teams one stud id guess first round of pool.
    raptor
    Last edited by raptor; 08-05-2012, 10:02 AM. Reason: incorrect link

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X