X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Encinitas

• Encinitas
    replied
    Mine played two games at the PG WWBA in Ft. Myers, and sat two (most of two anyway he did get in for the last game in the 5th for 1AB). Despite being the 4-hitter on games that he starts he isn't seen as a must play all innings guy just yet. Make the most of opportunity when he plays. Mine had two doubles and 4 RBIs to lead the team in both extra base hits and RBIs for the weekend, despite having almost the fewest ABs at 6. (there are three catchers so two of them always sit). If the "play every inning guys" continue to not produce I think things will work themselves out. Each team probably has 4-5 kids who don't come out, and the rest have to rotate I can't imagine your coach will let your kid rot on the bench all weekend.

It's really hard to be that part-time guy for a kid, but hopefully he gets a chance to do something Sparks.

Leave a comment:

• Sparksdale

• Sparksdale
    replied
    Headed out today for a weekend showcase tournament with the Varsity School team.

This is a true showcase sponsored by Mizuno for various High Schools in our state.

The only problem is my boy doesn't think his Varsity coach will let him play much and I agree.
    We have to rent rooms for 3 nights and everything and I doubt my boy will play much at all.

Just have to think positive and see what happens. If it didn't cost so much money I wouldn't mind it but to spend hundreds of dollars on travel and motel and your kid hardly plays isn't fun. But we'll see.....

Sparks

Leave a comment:

• tradosaurus
    Team Veteran

• tradosaurus
    replied
    Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
    People here feel the same way until I ask... "How many kids does our HS have playing college sports right now?" We have about 350 kids - 8 are playing college sports.
    I know for a fact that some high school athletic directors do a better job at establishing contacts with major colleges. This helps with recruiting.

For instance there is a 4A school about 20 miles down the road that has contacts with Alabama, LSU, etc. The 2A school in my town has placed a one baseball or football player in a Div 1A program in 15 years.

I will base my decision on where my son goes to high school on this fact alone.

Leave a comment:

• tg643
    Team Veteran

• tg643
    replied
    Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
    People here feel the same way until I ask... "How many kids does our HS have playing college sports right now?" We have about 350 kids - 8 are playing college sports.
    The high school my kids came from places a lot of kids in college sports. There are two guidance counselors who are versed in helping potential college athletes. I would guess the each class places between 30-40 athletes in college sports. It's a large classification high school. But other than football the primary help comes from club teams. The kid who went to an SEC school for football got interest by sending them a video labeled: Tailback runs 4.35 40. The entire starting lineup and top four pitchers from my son's junior year are playing college baseball except two kids who are majoring in engineering. One had D1 offers in baseball and football. The other had D3 baseball offers. From my son's junior year of soccer everyone but my son is playing college soccer. He had interest until he expressed no interest.
    tg643
    Team Veteran
    Last edited by tg643; 05-30-2012, 09:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tg643
    Team Veteran

• tg643
    replied
    Originally posted by skipper5 View Post
    Tim Kielly?
    Yep. Another from that same D3 World Series was Chez Angeloni from Johns Hopkins. He was in the Red Sox system for a couple of years. Chez threw low 80's in high school. He left JHU throwing 92. He also grew a few inches.

Leave a comment:

• Jake Patterson
    Coaching 101 Moderator

• Jake Patterson
    replied
    Originally posted by tradosaurus View Post
    Another reason this 6'-4" pitcher, with good grades didn't receive any offers is that the coaches didn't help him out with recruiting.

Some schools in our area are much better at attracting recruiters and have better networks with colleges.

Unfortunately the high school in my town is terrible about recruiting.

Leave a comment:

• skipper5

• skipper5
    replied
    Originally posted by tg643 View Post

I saw a late bloomer D3 college pitcher throwing 92 his senior year. I saw his first walk ... in his 93rd inning. He was drafted in the 26th round.
    Tim Kielly?

Leave a comment:

• tg643
    Team Veteran

• tg643
    replied
    One way a kid throwing 85 can stand out is be 6'4". Coaches will see upside potential. But when a kid throws 85 going to a major showcase probably isn't going to do it for him. He needs to focus on the schools he wants to play for and get in front of them.

Leave a comment:

• JJA

• JJA
    replied
    Originally posted by tradosaurus View Post
    Another reason this 6'-4" pitcher, with good grades didn't receive any offers is that the coaches didn't help him out with recruiting.

Some schools in our area are much better at attracting recruiters and have better networks with colleges.

Folks who believe that the high school coach will 1) help you child become a better hitter 2) help your child become a better pitcher 3) help your child with recruiting, etc. will be sadly disappointed in general. Most high school coaches have 50+ members on the team (varsity, JV, and freshman/sophomore) as well as teaching responsibilities at the school so it's hard to give any boy or girl individual attention. It really is up to the player and most importantly, the parent. Maybe it shouldn't be that way, but that's what I have seen for all of the kids who actually are playing in college today. Of the kids who made it, 100% were due to the parent/player, zero due to the high school coach.

Sparks, I've had a similar experience with several players throwing in the mid-80's. Yes, absolutely there are guys pitching at that and lower in college. The problem is that when you go to showcases, almost everyone can throw in mid-80's. So if you're throwing 85, how do you distinguish yourself from the masses? Far fewer can throw 90, so if can hit that magic number, all of this discussion becomes moot. That's really the point I was trying to make. If your boy can hit 90 mph, even for 1 pitch at one showcase, someone will take him, guaranteed. 85 mph, maybe someone will, or maybe they won't, at least in my experience.

-JJA

Leave a comment:

• tradosaurus
    Team Veteran

• tradosaurus
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sparksdale

• Sparksdale
    replied
    Originally posted by Encinitas View Post
    Look if that is his true speed, there is no way there isn't a school he can pitch for. Now you might be stuck in area that's not as heavily recruited. Now I am trusting that this speed has been independently verified. I went over to a tournament once around Lakeland Fla. (Auburndale) specifically out of curiosity we wanted to watch a Big Ten school who happened to be playing a Service Academy. Since the fields were kind of wide open so were the dugouts. Big10 School happened to have the Academy scouting reports on their pitchers posted. There were maybe two kids on the roster hitting 90. In watching the game most of the guys were living right around 85, some would dip lower, some inch up to say 88, but I never saw 90, and this is Division 1 baseball. I made the kid stand back there and watch so he could see it's no different than HS kid signed with Florida or whomever who we face that is touching 89 but living mostly around 86. (other than the college kids were much bigger). Point being a true 85 guy can pitch lower-tier D1 and many D2/D3/Juco/NAIA schools could get some use out of him. Some of these kids throw harder when they get to college I can't believe a 6'4" kid doesn't project.

Word of advice too, it takes a lot of work by the parents and kid outside of the diamond. Emailing teams, contacting coaches, etc. You have to go to their sites and fill out all the information, tell them where you are playing etc. At some point someone might bite. It's extremely rare these days for a kid to get found at a HS game. What is his off-season routine, travel ball, showcase ball?
    Encinitas,

I just happened to be at that game. The coaches were told before the game that there were two scouts from small colleges that I had never heard of there to look at this boy and another pitcher on our team. It might have been rude of me but when this 6' 4" boy was pitching I walked over to the scout and asked him how fast the boy was pitching. He told me mostly 85mph and had touched 86 a couple of times.

As far as showcases I really don't know if this boy did any. All I know is my stepson's youngest son is playing Tball this year and we went to see him play. The 6' 4" boy I've been talking about was there and he was umpiring the game. He came over and talked to me and I asked how many offers he had. I was shocked when he told me he hadn't gotten a single call and no interest from any school.

Sparks

Leave a comment:

• Sparksdale

• Sparksdale
    replied
    Originally posted by Encinitas View Post
    Look if that is his true speed, there is no way there isn't a school he can pitch for. Now you might be stuck in area that's not as heavily recruited. Now I am trusting that this speed has been independently verified. I went over to a tournament once around Lakeland Fla. (Auburndale) specifically out of curiosity we wanted to watch a Big Ten school who happened to be playing a Service Academy. Since the fields were kind of wide open so were the dugouts. Big10 School happened to have the Academy scouting reports on their pitchers posted. There were maybe two kids on the roster hitting 90. In watching the game most of the guys were living right around 85, some would dip lower, some inch up to say 88, but I never saw 90, and this is Division 1 baseball. I made the kid stand back there and watch so he could see it's no different than HS kid signed with Florida or whomever who we face that is touching 89 but living mostly around 86. (other than the college kids were much bigger). Point being a true 85 guy can pitch lower-tier D1 and many D2/D3/Juco/NAIA schools could get some use out of him. Some of these kids throw harder when they get to college I can't believe a 6'4" kid doesn't project.

Word of advice too, it takes a lot of work by the parents and kid outside of the diamond. Emailing teams, contacting coaches, etc. You have to go to their sites and fill out all the information, tell them where you are playing etc. At some point someone might bite. It's extremely rare these days for a kid to get found at a HS game. What is his off-season routine, travel ball, showcase ball?
    Encinitas,

I just happened to be at that game. The coaches were told before the game that there were two scouts from small colleges that I had never heard of there to look at this boy and another pitcher on our team. It might have been rude of me but when this 6' 4" boy was pitching I walked over to the scout and asked him how fast the boy was pitching. He told me mostly 85mph and had touched 86 a couple of times.

As far as showcases I really don't know if this boy did any. All I know is my stepson's youngest son is playing Tball this year and we went to see him play. The 6' 4" boy I've been talking about was there and he was umpiring the game. He came over and talked to me and I asked how many offers he had. I was shocked when he told me he hadn't gotten a single call and no interest from any school.

Sparks

Leave a comment:

• tg643
    Team Veteran

• tg643
    replied
    Sparks ... Your example is why a player should never buy into "if you star they will find you." If the kid had chosen a handful of the right showcases he would have received some mid major D1 offers. With his size and a college program someone would see his upside as potentially 88-90.

I saw a late bloomer D3 college pitcher throwing 92 his senior year. I saw his first walk ... in his 93rd inning. He was drafted in the 26th round. He was the first pitcher promoted up from short season A ball to low A. He made it as far as AAA. His command was fantastic at every level until AAA.

Leave a comment:

• Encinitas

• Encinitas
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sparksdale

• Sparksdale
    replied
    A boy on our schools varsity team is a senior and graduated this year.
    He's 6' 4" and a good pitcher. We had a couple of scouts from smaller colleges come look at him and another kid during a game this year. This 6' 4" boy threw 85 and 86mph.
    He made straight A's and is an incredible student from a very good family.

He didn't get a single offer from any school..... no offer of any kind. Not even a Jr. College offered him a partial scholarship.

He had the disadvantage of playing on a bad team. Our Varsity team was just plain terrible this year and they were beat up on by everyone even the 1A schools. I thought with his size someone would take a chance on him but not one college in the entire united states offered him anything.

You would think with his size, grades and the fact the throws in the mid 80's he would have gotten some kind of offer. But he didn't.

Last year we had a kid on our schools team that was 5' 7" and 140lbs soaking wet. Probably the best pitcher our school has ever had. To my knowledge he never threw over 83mph but had the control of Maddux. He could literally nip the corners with his pitches. Again one of the top students our school has ever had grades wise.... he finished with a 4.0 average. He got a scholarship to a D2 school for his grades. The baseball team had no interest in him because of his size and lack of MPH. He tried out for the team and made the team as a pitcher. Now he is one of the top relief pitchers on his college team. It just so happens that next year his college is going to D1 level. So at 83mph he's a D1 pitcher and doing very well, but I have to tell you that you wouldn't believe his control unless you saw it for yourself. It is a site to see a boy hit spots like he does..... amazing.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X