This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
    Headed out today for a weekend showcase tournament with the Varsity School team.

This is a true showcase sponsored by Mizuno for various High Schools in our state.

The only problem is my boy doesn't think his Varsity coach will let him play much and I agree.
    We have to rent rooms for 3 nights and everything and I doubt my boy will play much at all.

Just have to think positive and see what happens. If it didn't cost so much money I wouldn't mind it but to spend hundreds of dollars on travel and motel and your kid hardly plays isn't fun. But we'll see.....

Sparks
    The purpose of showcases is to showcase the seniors to be. They have through fall ball to find a college baseball home. This is their "go time." When my son was sixteen he played on a 17/18U showcase team. He only played about half the time and all over the field. He did get enough exposure to be noticed.

Before attending if there are any college programs attending your son is interested he should email the head coach ahead of time. He should express his interest and what he potentially brings to the program. Don't go to a showcase to throw spaghetti off the wall to see what sticks.

Comment

• Originally posted by tradosaurus View Post
      I'm wondering at what grade level these showcases make sense?

What did kids do without the showcases 30-40 yrs ago?

I've got 3 more years to worry about that but I hope I can refrain spending tons of money chasing few and low money scholarships.
      Showcases are primarily for seventeen year olds after their junior year of high school. The idea is to have a college baseball verbal commitment by the end of the summer. Some kids are ready to compete at that level at sixteen. Any kid who's a jaw dropping stud should get involved at any age as soon as it's obvious he can play college ball.

At the D1 level expect a 25% ride unless the kid is being recruited as a pro prospect middle of the field player. There are only 11.7 rides for 27 players. The last eight get nothing. D2 provides 9 rides to be divided anyway the coach pleases. D3 gets nothing. Not all D1 and D2 programs are fully funded. A lot of the players are also getting academic and financial need money.

Don't look for a financial ROI on your travel baseball investment. You invest for your son to play and at the showcase level the opportunity to be seen. If a kid gets a 25% college ride you will get ROI. However athletic scholarships are year to year. They can be taken away at the end of any year.
      tg643
      Team Veteran
      Last edited by tg643; 05-31-2012, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• Sparks ... You will know if it's a real showcase if the players are timed in the sixty.

Comment

• Originally posted by tg643 View Post
          Sparks ... You will know if it's a real showcase if the players are timed in the sixty.
          There are showcases and showcase tournaments. The latter of which I saw surprisingly several scouts come up and ask our coach about players. I say that because it's still finishing up time around the college world. At a tournament they are not checking 60 times. Showcase they will most definitely.

Comment

• Sparks ... If your son is just finishing his soph year you should sit down with him and make a list of about fifty colleges he would like to play baseball that are a fit 1) academically, 2) socially and 3) baseball-wise. If 1 and 2 aren't fits he'll be miserable playing baseball. Fifty is a lot of options. But it's early. The list will narrow and/or change.

Have your son attend one college camp type showcase this summer or fall. They cost about $150. It will give him an idea and the experience of what he will be dealing with next year.

Next spring get to some college games at the D1, D2, D3 and JuCo level. It looks a lot different up close than on television. Talk to parents of players. They love to tell their son's journey. Ask how they decided on that school. Ask about the other college options. Ask where these colleges found him.

This fall have your son send emails to the fifty colleges on his list. Included in the email is why he wants to play there, why he wants to attend the college. Think added value to the program. If your son is throwing 85 state it as a fact. They're going to want to know his gpa is above 3.0. Ask what showcases and camps they will participate in 2013.

Start looking for next summer's team the end of this summer. Many have tryouts in the fall. Don't assume it's going to be costly. My son's team was very subsidized by a third party source. A couple of kids with financial issues played free.

When it comes to decision making time you will need to decide if showcase ball is the option or playing for a regular summer team and attending a handful of individual showcases. Don't say you can't afford it. Your grandson can earn some money between now and next summer.

Take the SAT's twice during junior year. They are an important selling point next summer. Baseball players can't wait until next summer or fall. SAT scores can determine acceptance to the college and NCAA eligibility. Schools will offer verbals pending passing the SAT. But if they have to choose between makng an offer to a player who has passed the SAT's and one who hasn't taken them guess who gets left out.

I don't know your son's academic or athletic abilities. So I kept it general. If you want to discuss more PM me. I've been through this with two kids and have helped several others.

Tell your son all public behavior matters. He should always act as if he's being watched from the moment he gets out of the car. Also tell him he's competing with thousands of players with the same ability for a college roster spot. There's a fine line of differentiation. Always be looking for the edge/advantage.
            tg643
            Team Veteran
            Last edited by tg643; 05-31-2012, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by Encinitas View Post
                There are showcases and showcase tournaments. The latter of which I saw surprisingly several scouts come up and ask our coach about players. I say that because it's still finishing up time around the college world. At a tournament they are not checking 60 times. Showcase they will most definitely.
                At the showcase touornaments my son attended they assigned times to be timed in the sixty.

Comment

• "We only lost 1 game but they told us the tie was considered a loss. My point was if that is your rules then they need to allow the teams to play where there isn't a tie because we got the small end of the stick."

There is no crying in baseball!

Every tourney I have been to has very clear rules regarding advancement. Your statement that "We only lost one," should be "We only won 2." Quit with the poor me all the time. Sorry to be so blunt

Comment

At the showcase touornaments my son attended they assigned times to be timed in the sixty.
                    Interesting we still have PG WWBA in East cobb, Prospect Wire in Sarasota, and at least one other PG. I know his arm is probably up 12 MPH from the one PG showcase he attended because he was nursing tendonitis, but I figured heck with another showcase since we are playing in so many of the tournaments. Part of me would like him to go back and get the PG score up but then I have to ask is it really worth $700?

Comment

Interesting we still have PG WWBA in East cobb, Prospect Wire in Sarasota, and at least one other PG. I know his arm is probably up 12 MPH from the one PG showcase he attended because he was nursing tendonitis, but I figured heck with another showcase since we are playing in so many of the tournaments. Part of me would like him to go back and get the PG score up but then I have to ask is it really worth $700?
                      If your son is a major conference prospect and has a velocity posted you're not comfortable he should probably get back there and improve it. Why did he throw with tendonitis? He probably should have taken a pass on the tournament. It wasn't worth $700 to post an inferior velocity. The important thing is getting in front of the college coaches where he would like to play.

I assumed you're from CA with the name Encinitas. But two FL showcases leads me to believe you live in the southeast. Is your son's team playing the PG showcase. Or is he going as an individual and getting placed on a team?

Comment

If your son is a major conference prospect and has a velocity posted you're not comfortable he should probably get back there and improve it. Why did he throw with tendonitis? He probably should have taken a pass on the tournament. It wasn't worth $700 to post an inferior velocity. The important thing is getting in front of the college coaches where he would like to play.

I assumed you're from CA with the name Encinitas. But two FL showcases leads me to believe you live in the southeast. Is your son's team playing the PG showcase. Or is he going as an individual and getting placed on a team?
                        First, we moved from San Diego, to Orlando, that's why he's playing in the Ft. Myers tournament. The thing is tg we are pretty much thinking JUCO right now so I am not sure it's worth it. Grades probably only a 3.4 or so, SAT not in merit range, so the likelihood of getting a lot of academic money is not that strong so and I have an aversion to him getting too weighed down in Student Loans. We signed up, and I should have said no he isn't quite healthy let's see if we can get a credit for the next one. However we didn't do that. Also we probably could have signed up for the one this weekend, but here again we have a crazy schedule. Jun 7-9 -> Jacksonville, 10-14 Sarasota, 25-28 High Point NC, 29-Jul 6 18U WWBA East Cobb, Jul 14-20 PG BCS Finals Ft. Myers, and Aug. 6-10 Jupiter.

That's a lot cash and why I didn't want to automatically sign up for the PG showcase this weekend. We could have done Mud's suggestion, skipped summer ball and paid for the first year of college if he ends up going JUCO but I have to tell you just making this team did wonders for the kid's psyche and self-confidence so if it costs a few bucks that's fine. This weekend he was invited to a free tryout for an Iowa JUCO and sunday there is a mini one-day showcase for a bunch of good Florida JUCOs so we'll do that. But if I find out he is throwing well over 80 now I'll be kind of ticked that we didn't do the PG East Coast this weekend. He is a 1B so velocity over there isn't life or death, but it certainly looks good if you can throw hard from that spot as well.

Comment

First, we moved from San Diego, to Orlando, that's why he's playing in the Ft. Myers tournament. The thing is tg we are pretty much thinking JUCO right now so I am not sure it's worth it. Grades probably only a 3.4 or so, SAT not in merit range, so the likelihood of getting a lot of academic money is not that strong so and I have an aversion to him getting too weighed down in Student Loans. We signed up, and I should have said no he isn't quite healthy let's see if we can get a credit for the next one. However we didn't do that. Also we probably could have signed up for the one this weekend, but here again we have a crazy schedule. Jun 7-9 -> Jacksonville, 10-14 Sarasota, 25-28 High Point NC, 29-Jul 6 18U WWBA East Cobb, Jul 14-20 PG BCS Finals Ft. Myers, and Aug. 6-10 Jupiter.

That's a lot cash and why I didn't want to automatically sign up for the PG showcase this weekend. We could have done Mud's suggestion, skipped summer ball and paid for the first year of college if he ends up going JUCO but I have to tell you just making this team did wonders for the kid's psyche and self-confidence so if it costs a few bucks that's fine. This weekend he was invited to a free tryout for an Iowa JUCO and sunday there is a mini one-day showcase for a bunch of good Florida JUCOs so we'll do that. But if I find out he is throwing well over 80 now I'll be kind of ticked that we didn't do the PG East Coast this weekend. He is a 1B so velocity over there isn't life or death, but it certainly looks good if you can throw hard from that spot as well.
                          If your son throws well see if you can get some documentation. Since PG becomes a reference source for college coaches you want a good score there. I believe they also have clinics where the player is just evaluated. It costs a lot less. My son didn't need East Cobb and Fort Myers for recruiting. What it did for him was convince him while he wasn't a top prospect he could perform on the same field with them. Select Fest in New Jersey drew him the most attention. Most of the D1's and major D2's east of the Mississippi attend.
                          tg643
                          Team Veteran
                          Last edited by tg643; 05-31-2012, 08:49 PM.

Comment

....we are pretty much thinking JUCO right now so I am not sure it's worth it.
                            Yep, after seeing what's happening with so many other of the kids that my oldest son went to school HS with....and how they and/or their parents are getting saddled with huge educational expenses (read "loans" in most cases), even the ones that did receive some sort of scholarship(s)....we're more than pleased that my oldest went the local JUCO route, and saved "10's of thousands" over the first couple of years.

After seeing all the money that some have spent on all of these "showcase" events to get little, and more times than not, no scholarship offers....I'm figuring that I've got about as much chance a calling that "showcase" money an "investment", as I would calling the money I put done on a table in Vegas an "investment".

I'm sure there's a place for them for some ball players, but that's definitely not the case in our situation.....YMMV.
                            In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

What it did for him was convince him while he wasn't a top prospect he could perform on the same field with them.
                              They all find this out one way or the other once they step out on whatever college field they choose, and you really don't have to pay a penny for that "education".
                              In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
                                They all find this out one way or the other once they step out on whatever college field they choose, and you really don't have to pay a penny for that "education".
                                I believe there's value to finding out at sixteen before going through the intense part of the recruiting process and before getting to college ball. I never looked at anything I spent on softball and baseball as an investment. I looked at it as paying for a service. Between academics and athetics I paid for 25% of the list cost of college for my daughter (7K per year). My son's first year was 50% off (10K). By age eighteen I had saved 100K for each for college.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X