This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tradosaurus View Post
    The more I think about it the more it appears that unless you get drafted out of high school that chasing the small quantity of baseball scholarships are not worth the time and effort.

You are better off going after academic scholarships or going the football route.
    An athlete plays the sport he loves and has the passion. My son isn't in college to go pro. He's in college to get an education and have a positive baseball experience. My daughter played college softball knowing it was over afterwards except for Team USA members. Trying to make the player fit the sport for a college scholarship is a mistake. If that were the case I would have had my son quit baseball for lacrosse. He's fast, agile, tough and the right size for lacrosse.
    tg643
    Team Veteran
    Last edited by tg643; 06-04-2012, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• I've read all your post and I agree with most all of them.

This is what it boils down to. Little Sparks is at a crossroad in his life. Yes his attitude has gotten terrible and I'm ashamed to say he's just flat out stopped working at his game. It breaks my heart. Literally breaks my heart.

This is a boy who has lived and dreamed baseball all his life...... now I'm not sure he even wants to play anymore. One problem is his high school coach...... he's still mad at what they've done to him. I told him tough..... big deal the coach left you off the team......get over it. I even told him he should get mad at his coach and prove him wrong. Play your tail off and do what you are capable of doing and prove to your coach that he was wrong leaving you off the Varsity.

Now days anything I say goes in one ear and out the other.

There is no doubt and I mean no doubt at all that my boy could throw in the low 90's at some point. No doubt! But with his size he'll have to work his tail off to get there.

One thing that bothers me is I've noticed the past few times I've seen him throw that the ball it isn't jumping out of his hand anymore. I loved to watch that ball just jump when he threw. Even if he was soft tossing you could see the ball jump. Now it seems to float.

I sat him down today and talked with him about his velocity and the ball not jumping. As usual he told me I was wrong.

At this point I've done all I can do. Either he loves it or he doesn't. But it still breaks my heart.

He needs some major motivation and I just don't know what to do. When he was 9 years old Chipper Jones sent him a letter (through his agent). Boy that motivated him for years. Part of me wants to believe if someone would just contact him maybe it would help.

I don't know.... I just don't know what to do.

Sparks

Comment

• I've seen plenty of kids who grew up loving the game until fifteen or sixteen when other distractions became more important. As for the coach is your son going to quit every job where he doesn't like the boss? Sports lends a lot to growing up and preparing for the real world.

My son started three years of varsity ball for a coach who intimidated the hell out of him is soph year. The coach thought he was motivating him. When my son hit his first high school homer and put out his hand rounding third the coach pulled his hand back and turned away. My son said when he made varsity the coach used him as the poster boy for hard work. Then he spent the next three years barely talking to him unless it was negative. He took this [email protected] as a three time all-conference player? My son wan't special. The coach is void of a personality and sees players as pawns. He treated everyone like [email protected] to some degree.

What's your son's excuse? A player either loves the game or he doesn't. A coach doesn't drive a player out of the game. Is your son possibly laying the excuse track for not succeeding next year? No one can motivate your son. He has to want it. By the way, when players get to college ball the coaches aren't exactly sweethearts. Now it's all about winning to keep their job to pay the mortgage.

(just a little reality and tough love)
        tg643
        Team Veteran
        Last edited by tg643; 06-04-2012, 09:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tg643 View Post
          I've seen plenty of kids who grew up loving the game until fifteen or sixteen when other distractions became more important. As for the coach is your son going to quit every job where he doesn't like the boss? Sports lends a lot to growing up and preparing for the real world.

My son started three years of varsity ball for a coach who intimidated the hell out of him is soph year. The coach thought he was motivating him. When my son hit his first high school homer and put out his hand rounding third the coach pulled his hand back and turned away. My son said when he made varsity the coach used him as the poster boy for hard work. Then he spent the next three years barely talking to him unless it was negative. He took this [email protected] as a three time all-conference player? My son wan't special. The coach is void of a personality and sees players as pawns. He treated everyone like [email protected] to some degree.

What's your son's excuse? A player either loves the game or he doesn't. A coach doesn't drive a player out of the game. Is your son possibly laying the excuse track for not succeeding next year? No one can motivate your son. He has to want it. By the way, when players get to college ball the coaches aren't exactly sweethearts. Now it's all about winning to keep their job to pay the mortgage.

TG,

I agree with you. For him to blame his coach is nothing but an excuse.

I don't agree with my boy.... no matter what the coach did it should not let him effect how he plays..... if anything it should motivate him to do better. But it isn't.

We have a wood bat tournament tomorrow with the Varsity. We'll see what happens....

Sparks

Comment

I've seen plenty of kids who grew up loving the game until fifteen or sixteen when other distractions became more important. As for the coach is your son going to quit every job where he doesn't like the boss? Sports lends a lot to growing up and preparing for the real world.

Well the reality is that you can choose what type of boss you have and yes you can quit and get another job. I quit a well paying job because my boss was a sadistic b**star*.

High school is a bit different since transferring to another high school means you probably will be sitting out a year and in 4 years you will be done with the school anyway.

I'm doing some due diligence in scoping out the quality of coaching my son will get in high school baseball and football and hopefully in a year I will be able to send him to a high school that will have quality coaching.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
              One problem is his high school coach...... he's still mad at what they've done to him. I told him tough..... big deal the coach left you off the team......get over it. I even told him he should get mad at his coach and prove him wrong. Play your tail off and do what you are capable of doing and prove to your coach that he was wrong leaving you off the Varsity.
              The kid needs to look in the mirror a bit and take some ownership to not making the cut. Without going back through this thread, didn't your grandson stand up the coach and lie about it?

Most programs require on and off the field qualities to make the team. I think I can picture what he brings to a team outside of performance. Take a look at his whole picture and include everything attached to it (including his fans). Try to look at that picture from an unbiased opinion. Determine what is positive and what is negative. Try to correct the negative. Make sure not to place blame on others for the negatives.

Comment

• Originally posted by tradosaurus View Post
                Well the reality is that you can choose what type of boss you have and yes you can quit and get another job. I quit a well paying job because my boss was a sadistic b**star*.

High school is a bit different since transferring to another high school means you probably will be sitting out a year and in 4 years you will be done with the school anyway.

I'm doing some due diligence in scoping out the quality of coaching my son will get in high school baseball and football and hopefully in a year I will be able to send him to a high school that will have quality coaching.
                You're missing the point. There are people who never look in the mirror blame the boss every time they aren't successful. It's why when I was in the corporate world I stayed away from the water cooler. It's where these people graze. You can't quit every job. It's beginning to appear Sparks-son may have a bit of the "if the going gets tough, blame someone else" attitude.

Comment

You're missing the point. There are people who never look in the mirror blame the boss every time they aren't successful. It's why when I was in the corporate world I stayed away from the water cooler. It's where these people graze. You can't quit every job. It's beginning to appear Sparks-son may have a bit of the "if the going gets tough, blame someone else" attitude.

You think?

I wonder where he would have got that attitude? :hissyfit:

Comment

• Had another travel tournament this weekend and something amazing happened...

My boy pitched the final game which would decide if we would win the championship or not.
                    Like I said something amazing happened..... he got his brains beat in. They literally hit every pitch he threw.

I've never seen him throw harder. I don't know how fast he was throwing but he was easily in the mid 80's.

He was pulled in the 3rd inning after giving up 13 runs.

What was the amazing thing that happened?

I saw a kid out on the mound fight like I've never seen a kid fight before. He was giving everything he had and no matter the score he was going to finish what he started. My goodness it was a joy to watch. His team made error after error behind him. The SS made three straight errors. Just about every player on the team was making errors.

Finally my boy threw down his hat and screamed at his team..... this was his exact words and everyone in the park could hear him. "EVERYONE CENTER CIRCLE NOW! RIGHT NOW!" His teamates eyes got big as dinner plates and all of them ran to the pitchers mound and surrounded my boy. My boy was looking each of them in the eye saying something and his eyes were on fire.

I didn't ask him what he said to his teamates and I don't care. All I know is I saw a leader emerge that day and most of all I saw a kid who loves this game.

His last at bat was something to behold too..... he was pissed at the way the day had gone. We were down 13 to 3 and there were 2 outs in the final inning. My boy went to the plate and there was no way that pitcher was going to deny him a hit. You could see it in his eyes.... his eyes were on fire and at that moment I truly believe he didn't think there was a pitcher on earth that could get him out. It was an at bat that you talk about for days. The pitcher quickly got 2 strikes on him and he began to foul off 9 straight pitches and on every swing he was swinging for the fence. The at bat must have lasted 10 minutes. After fouling off 9 pitches he hit a double to left center.

I don't know where my boy goes from here. Yeah we faced a great team but they hit every pitch he threw. His last three games he's given up a lot of runs but at least this last game he had his fastball.... probably his best fastball ever.

But I think at least now he knows he has to work at his game. We will see what happens but for the first time in a while I see a fire in his eyes and I'm interested to see where that fire takes him.

Sparks

Comment

• If your son throws 85 and is getting hammered chances are he's throwing strikes rather than having command. This is where the lack of extra effort comes into play. A pitcher isn't going to throw to spots unless he's putting in a lot of work.

As for your son yelling at his fielders while pitching that's not leadership. It's the job of the catcher or shortstop. If I was an infielder and he said one thing about the fielding I would have said "Bleep You. Stop throwing meat." and walked away. Then in the parking lot we would have had a little in your face to face talk about showing up teammates. If he didn't like it he'd get more than my face in his face.

I witnessed this situation between teammates in college. It didn't happen in the parking lot. It happened in the dugout. The shortstop pinned the pitcher against the dugout wall and had a talk with the pitcher. Where were the coaches? They removed themselves to the far end of the dugout. As Schultz would say, "They saw nothing."
                      tg643
                      Team Veteran
                      Last edited by tg643; 06-11-2012, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
                        Had another travel tournament this weekend and something amazing happened...

My boy pitched the final game which would decide if we would win the championship or not.
                        Like I said something amazing happened..... he got his brains beat in. They literally hit every pitch he threw.

I've never seen him throw harder. I don't know how fast he was throwing but he was easily in the mid 80's.

He was pulled in the 3rd inning after giving up 13 runs.

What was the amazing thing that happened?

I saw a kid out on the mound fight like I've never seen a kid fight before. He was giving everything he had and no matter the score he was going to finish what he started. My goodness it was a joy to watch. His team made error after error behind him. The SS made three straight errors. Just about every player on the team was making errors.

Finally my boy threw down his hat and screamed at his team..... this was his exact words and everyone in the park could hear him. "EVERYONE CENTER CIRCLE NOW! RIGHT NOW!" His teamates eyes got big as dinner plates and all of them ran to the pitchers mound and surrounded my boy. My boy was looking each of them in the eye saying something and his eyes were on fire.

I didn't ask him what he said to his teamates and I don't care. All I know is I saw a leader emerge that day and most of all I saw a kid who loves this game.

His last at bat was something to behold too..... he was pissed at the way the day had gone. We were down 13 to 3 and there were 2 outs in the final inning. My boy went to the plate and there was no way that pitcher was going to deny him a hit. You could see it in his eyes.... his eyes were on fire and at that moment I truly believe he didn't think there was a pitcher on earth that could get him out. It was an at bat that you talk about for days. The pitcher quickly got 2 strikes on him and he began to foul off 9 straight pitches and on every swing he was swinging for the fence. The at bat must have lasted 10 minutes. After fouling off 9 pitches he hit a double to left center.

I don't know where my boy goes from here. Yeah we faced a great team but they hit every pitch he threw. His last three games he's given up a lot of runs but at least this last game he had his fastball.... probably his best fastball ever.

But I think at least now he knows he has to work at his game. We will see what happens but for the first time in a while I see a fire in his eyes and I'm interested to see where that fire takes him.

Sparks
                        He was throwing easily into the mid 80's and got hammered in LL from 46'? Really? I would love to see some video of it. Where do y'all play?

Comment

• Originally posted by mr. potato head View Post
                          He was throwing easily into the mid 80's and got hammered in LL from 46'? Really? I would love to see some video of it. Where do y'all play?
                          Who said anything about LL? It's high school summer ball. The guy has been posting since LL. It's a continuous thread on a kid's journey.

Comment

If your son throws 85 and is getting hammered chances are he's throwing strikes rather than having command. This is where the lack of extra effort comes into play. A pitcher isn't going to throw to spots unless he's putting in a lot of work.

As for your son yelling at his fielders while pitching that's not leadership. It's the job of the catcher or shortstop. If I was an infielder and he said one thing about the fielding I would have said "Bleep You. Stop throwing meat." and walked away. Then in the parking lot we would have had a little in your face to face talk about showing up teammates. If he didn't like it he'd get more than my face in his face.

I witnessed this situation between teammates in college. It didn't happen in the parking lot. It happened in the dugout. The shortstop pinned the pitcher against the dugout wall and had a talk with the pitcher. Where were the coaches? They removed themselves to the far end of the dugout. As Schultz would say, "They saw nothing."
                            Agree with tg643, would have pulled your son from the game at that point. When my son was 12 he was upset with another player after dropping a routine pop up. I called time out went to the mound and removed him from the mound. We had a discussion in the dug out. My son apologized to his teammate. It was a good teaching moment for him how not to act on a baseball field.

Comment

• Tg,

I agree and I've never been a fan of a player calling out another player but you just had to be there to see it.

My boy was pitching his heart out and getting balls hit right to the players and it wasn't just one or two errors...... and I've never ever said anything about errors to a player. It was the lack of effort. The team had given up.... 100% given up.

Anyway, the coach was very proud of him and not a single parent said anything about the incident. My boy never said anything negative out loud for other people to hear and what ever he said was said in the circle with the other players. They all patted each other on the butts and went to their positions.

I actually think it was a magical moment that pulled a team together.....

As far my boy and his pitching. It's all up to him now. I've done all I can. I think he's throwing fat pitches and has little movement and good hitters love fast balls down the middle. It's up to him to work at his game.

I'm anxious to see what he decides to do from here...... it's all up to him.

Sparks

Comment

Who said anything about LL? It's high school summer ball. The guy has been posting since LL. It's a continuous thread on a kid's journey.
                                I guess the title of the thread being Little League had an influence on my comment.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X