Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sparks Journey from Little League to College

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Encinitas View Post
    Just out of curiosity what careers await grads from these prestigious NE schools?.... Are these the kids who get the key jobs on Wall Strtee?
    The answer is "Yes".
    For better or worse.
    Skip

    Comment


    • Originally posted by skipper5 View Post
      The answer is "Yes".
      For better or worse.
      A lot of them have to go to grad school after getting useless BA's. They do get into quality grad schools.

      Comment


      • Go to some of these colleges' websites and search for "Outcomes" or "Careers," and you will find out where recent graduates went to work at, or which grad schools they now attend. Colleges love to brag about their students. My son's school has a strong network at Goldman Sachs on Wall Street.

        Athletes with borderline grades and SAT's often apply Early Decision at some highly selective schools. This increases their chances of being accepted and it eases the minds of head coaches who need to fill up their squads as quickly as possible.

        In today's economy families need to do their homework on where their kids should apply to college. Investing the time and effort produces dividends once the acceptance letters arrive in your mailbox. I can recommend a website to parents looking for more information about the entire college selection process.
        "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
        "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

        Comment


        • Hey guys. This thread needs to get back on topic about Sparks and his grandson. There is not 6 yrs worth of threads for this to derail. :gt

          derailment.jpg

          Comment


          • Originally posted by tradosaurus View Post
            Hey guys. This thread needs to get back on topic about Sparks and his grandson. There is not 6 yrs worth of threads for this to derail. :gt

            [ATTACH=CONFIG]110668[/ATTACH]
            Trado, great point.
            My apologies for contributing to the hi-jack.
            Can we remove and relocate the excellent commentary re college, etc., into its own thread?
            Probably a lot of work to do that.
            Skip

            Comment


            • Some of this applies to Sparks grandson, whereas talk of Bowdin, probably does not.

              Comment


              • Update:

                I was able to attend my boys tournament this weekend. They called it a state championship tournament but I think they throw that word around (state championship) just to get teams in. I meant there are no telling how many state championship tournaments there are....

                Anyway, my boy did terrible. He got one hit the entire tournament and it was a cheap hit. He couldn't hit the side of a barn....his hitting was so far off I don't know where to start to help him (not that he would listen to me anyway).

                But on championship day he got the call to pitch against the top seeded team..... I'd never seen this team before but after you see enough players you quickly spot who the good players are. It was a good team he pitched against.... very good. I think he pitched one of his better games..... maybe ever. Don't know how many he struck out but it was more than five and probably around 8 or so.
                He gave up three runs but only one was earned.

                I don't know how fast he was throwing but he was throwin fire......... His curve ball was as good as I've ever seen it. It had a good tight spin and he was nipping the corners and pounding the fastball on the inside corner at the knees. His controll was about as good as its ever been. He won the game.

                Sad part is our team played terrible...worse than terrible...... they looked like a bunch of little leagers that had never played before. Error after error and no one on our team could hit a lick. They dropped my boy down to batting 7th (he usually hits third) I would have dropped him down to 9th because he didn't get a quality at bat the entire tournament.

                Somehow our team finished second in the tournament and the final championship game was one of those games you always remember. It's why you love baseball. We were down 2 to 0 in the last inning and my boys only hit of the tournament was the go ahead run in the top of the inning. Sadly in the bottom of the inning the other team tide it with a bases loaded walk.

                We went into extra innings and lost on another bases loaded walk. But it was an incredible game to watch.

                I was pretty down on my boy (I didn't let him know it) because I know he isn't working on his game. When he hit the go ahead hit he pumped his fist as he crossed first base and I suddenly remembered that I've forgotten the joy of the game. I shouldn't be so hard on him and just let him play for the love of the game. He's probably going to be to small and not quite good enough to play at the next level so I'm going to try and get the joy back that I've lost. Time to cut the kid some slack and let him be a kid. If he want's it bad enough he'll figure it out and if he doesn't there isn't anything I can do to make him. But I can enjoy watching him play for as long as he plays and by God I'm going to do that...

                Sparks

                Comment


                • One thing you need to keep in front of you, and it's hard, is that your grandson like so many others will have days where they don't perform well. It's called baseball. To succeed in baseball you have to learn to deal with failures, on a constant basis, either by the individual or by the team mates.

                  I am glad my son has had the opportunity to play competitive tournament ball because it has taught him, and me, how to let go of the failures and hold on to the successes. If we would have stayed in league ball it would have provided a false sense of high performance while masking problems that we need to work on.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by tradosaurus View Post
                    One thing you need to keep in front of you, and it's hard, is that your grandson like so many others will have days where they don't perform well. It's called baseball. To succeed in baseball you have to learn to deal with failures, on a constant basis, either by the individual or by the team mates.

                    I am glad my son has had the opportunity to play competitive tournament ball because it has taught him, and me, how to let go of the failures and hold on to the successes. If we would have stayed in league ball it would have provided a false sense of high performance while masking problems that we need to work on.
                    Having a bad tournament doesn't bother me.... I've told him many times I don't care how many strike outs he has or how many games he wins pitching....... that is if I know he's working on his game and trying to get better. I'll tell you this... it's not just him, it's every kid on the team. None of them work durning the week to get better. They have one practice a week and that's it. As far as I know none of the other kids are going to batting cages or working on defense or anything during the week. I know it's summer but I think if you want to get better you could give one hour a day to your craft.

                    But my boy isn't doing it. I miss the old days when he would work hard on his game. He was so prepared when he showed up for a game that he "knew" he would do well because he had worked so hard during the week. Now he just shows up for the games and thinks his talent is enough.

                    Want to hear something crazy? I was kinda down (just a little) that he pitched such a great game. I mean my goodness he pitches one time every two weeks and never ever works on pitchig during the week. So I'm sure in his mind he thinks he's good enough to keep doing as he's doing. I keep telling him that there is no telling how good he would be right now if he was working hard. But it goes in one ear and out the other and while I'm talking he's texting some girl on his cell phone.

                    I'll admit it was so much fun to watch him pitch so well again.... wow it was fun. Maybe things will sink in for him.......... I sure hope so.

                    One last thing..... I got a pretty big phone call today. I got a job I in my hometown....a pretty good job. Wow it's been a long time coming to find work. Maybe I'll be able to catch up on some bills and go to a few more of my boy's tournaments.

                    Sparks

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
                      Having a bad tournament doesn't bother me.... I've told him many times I don't care how many strike outs he has or how many games he wins pitching....... that is if I know he's working on his game and trying to get better. I'll tell you this... it's not just him, it's every kid on the team. None of them work durning the week to get better. They have one practice a week and that's it. As far as I know none of the other kids are going to batting cages or working on defense or anything during the week. I know it's summer but I think if you want to get better you could give one hour a day to your craft.

                      But my boy isn't doing it. I miss the old days when he would work hard on his game. He was so prepared when he showed up for a game that he "knew" he would do well because he had worked so hard during the week. Now he just shows up for the games and thinks his talent is enough.

                      Want to hear something crazy? I was kinda down (just a little) that he pitched such a great game. I mean my goodness he pitches one time every two weeks and never ever works on pitchig during the week. So I'm sure in his mind he thinks he's good enough to keep doing as he's doing. I keep telling him that there is no telling how good he would be right now if he was working hard. But it goes in one ear and out the other and while I'm talking he's texting some girl on his cell phone.

                      I'll admit it was so much fun to watch him pitch so well again.... wow it was fun. Maybe things will sink in for him.......... I sure hope so.

                      One last thing..... I got a pretty big phone call today. I got a job I in my hometown....a pretty good job. Wow it's been a long time coming to find work. Maybe I'll be able to catch up on some bills and go to a few more of my boy's tournaments.

                      Sparks
                      He may be running out of interest...
                      "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                      - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

                      Comment


                      • Yeah Jake, I think that's what it is. He doesn't seem to be near as interested in baseball as he used to be... breaks my heart.

                        I wish there was something I could do to perk his interest but I think at this point its up to him. He has to find it himself.

                        Sparks

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
                          Yeah Jake, I think that's what it is. He doesn't seem to be near as interested in baseball as he used to be... breaks my heart.

                          I wish there was something I could do to perk his interest but I think at this point its up to him. He has to find it himself.

                          Sparks
                          My youngest went through this at that age... I left him alone and he eventually re-captured his interest and became a SE New England All-Star... He played Legion until 19 and ball after HS. Some of the best times I had as a dad was watching him playing adult ball and then coach after he was done playing. BUT it started around 17 when he almost lost interest.... Remember - young adults this age like to discover for themselves, sometime "telling" them what you know is true, only pushes them further away. If he has it he'll find/keep it... If he doesn't - there is nothing you can do.
                          "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                          - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

                          Comment


                          • My boy's travel team is going to be going down to Fl for the World Series. I'm not going to be able to go nor is my wife. I'm really going to miss not going but I start my new job Monday and its going to be impossible.

                            I guess I'm kinda sad tonight. My boys games are winding down at 16 years old. Who knows how many more I'm going to get to watch him play.... I can say this...... baseball has been a wonderful gift to me and I wish every boy (and parent) could have half the joy I've had the past few years. There is so much crap in this world and baseball seems to simply life. Work hard do your best, respect your coach and be a good teammate. Goodness, if kids could learn those few things what a wonderful world it would be. Aww, I don't know how much my boy has learned about life from baseball but I know I've learned a lot.

                            Maybe I'll never see little Sparks playing college or in the minor leagues. Who knows, come next year he might decide he's had enough of the game.......I really don't know. I do know I'm very proud of what he's done. For the most part he's a pretty good kid and I don't think it's because of me.....I really don't. I think baseball had a lot to do with it.

                            I wonder if Abner Doubleday new what a special game he had invented? Did he have any idea how the game he created would mold kids and bind families? I wonder if he knew the joy he was giving millions of young boys and girls? The proud parents sitting in the stands?

                            I doubt it..... he probably just saw a stick and hit a rock with it and liked the way it felt.

                            Never the less this game of baseball has been a wonderful experience and all I can say is thank you Abner Doubleday.... thank you for the memories.

                            Sparks

                            Comment


                            • Update:

                              My boy is down in FL at the World Series. Their first game is tomorrow morning. Sadly I have to work so I'll miss it. I think he and his team is in for a shock when they see the level of competition they'll face. I hope they have a lot of fun down there but I don't have a lot of hope that they will do all that well in the tournament.

                              They had a showcase today. My boy called me and said it was a joke. I paid $41 for him to be in it. All they got to do was throw 8 pitches and that was it. To top it off they didn't even tell the kids how they did. They were supposed to get a shirt and they didn't get that either. I swear, there is just so much..... I don't know how to say it but just bull crap with people wanting money.

                              Anyway, I'll update if I can on the progress.....

                              Sparks

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
                                ...I swear, there is just so much..... I don't know how to say it but just bull crap with people wanting money.

                                Anyway, I'll update if I can on the progress.....

                                Sparks
                                Sparks, the unfortunate part is this will only get worse as the lines increase...

                                BTW - Good luck tomorrow... Anything can happen in baseball.
                                "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                                - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X