Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It seemed to me at the PG events in GA and FL 90's were falling out of trees. PG listed all the ptchers who were gunned at 90+. It was a long list. From talking to some pro scouts at A10 and CAA games (mid major) the average pitcher cruises at 85. The better pitchers are at 87-90. The pro prospects are the handful in those conferences that are 90+.

Comment

• Looking at the 17U tournament from East cobb, I show 125 Pitchers did hit 90 or above. I really should grab 16U for Sparks but this is an idea of what the next summer will be like.
      I realize this this a dumb way to categorize by 10's but the 17U numbers
      60's - 14 - most likely teams running out of guys a real outlier
      70's - 496
      80's - 1693
      90's - 125

Comment

• Update:

It's football season and my boy didn't want to play. It's a shame because I would love to see him play but his heart just wasn't in it.

He got invited to a showcase last week. Its the Baseball Factory Under Armour Showcase. They were coming through our state.

There were probably around 130 kids there at the showcase/tryout. I was very surprised at the level of talent I saw..... very surprised. I was to the understanding that all of the kids at this tryout had to be invited and had to be recommended by their hs coach. You never know what to believe on these things. I doubt I saw two or three kids break 80 on the gun (i didn't' have a gun but just guessing). All of these were supposed to be Jr. and Sr.

But since my job is going pretty good I decided to pay the $200 and let little sparks attend the event.

When he got up there to pitch I didn't' see any other kid even close to his speed..... I may have saw one other kid that was a little close but the rest were..... well..... they were just slow. I doubt many broke 75mph.

It was the off season so I had little hope for little sparks.

When it was all said and done we got a call from the Baseball Factory and they told us they liked my boy. They said he was consistent at 83mph and threw faster (although they didn't tell us his top speed). They told us he was in the top 20% of the country for pitchers in his age group. (again it sounded like a sales pitch and you never know what to believe).

They invited him to be on the Under Armour team.

Here is the catch..... it's very expensive. It cost $3000 to be on the team!

Of course I can't even come close to that kind of money. They suggested we find sponsors.

What I don't get is if this is an "Under Armour" supported team then why are they charging $3000? They told us only 60 kids would make the team from around the country and they wanted my boy to be one of those 60.

Of course we aren't going to do it but I don't understand how Under Armour, a well known company could be a part of such a money making event. Why wouldn't they just sponsor the kids themselves?

I was proud of little sparks though. My eye test thinks he hit 85 to 86mph pitching. He was flat out throwing fire. I watched almost all of the other pitchers pitch and only one other kid was close to my boy. They told us his curve ball was way above average for a hs player and was bordering on excellent. His change up needed some work but he had good movement on his fastball. His bat speed was very good and but with a little instruction could get more power to drive through the ball when hitting.

Baseball season is just around the corner. I'm just glad that little sparks is a jr and he's still playing. It's been a long journey since I started this thread when he was 10 years old. Who knows how much baseball he has left and I plan on enjoying every minute.

Sparks

Comment

• In our area when I heard Baseball factory I ran. There isn't one Baseball Factory team. There are teams from every region. The inexpensive $200 camp was a setup for the $3,000 team. Based on the talent you saw how do you think this team would compete against the top talent? At showcases weak teams get relegated to the back fields to play each other. The college coaches typically don't bother to check out these teams.

Comment

• Sparks ... I believe your son is a junior. If so, and he wants to play college baseball it's get serious time.

First, the two of you need to sit down and make a list of colleges that may be a fit academically, socially and baseball-wise. Don't worry about financially. Don't be scared off by the sticker price of a college before knowing what your son might get for aid. Academically and socially are more important than baseball. If the first two don't fit baseball won't be an enjoyable experience. Make the list large. Have it be at least fifty colleges. You will be surprised how fast you pare down the list as you hear things about schools and their baseball programs.

Set up an email account in your son's name just for baseball emails. Compose an email to send to all the coaches on your list. Even if you send the email make it appear as if your son sent it. It's big boy time. College coaches don't care for parents who manage their boy's baseball affairs. It's a warning sign to the future. On this email will be your son's expressed desire to play baseball and get an education at that school. Personalize each email with the name of the coach and the name of the college. Send one to the head coach. Send one to the assistant in charge of recruiting. Often the assistant coach in charge in charge of recruiting is listed on the team's baseball website. If not, call the atheltic department and get his name and email address. Aside from expressed interest ask what showcases and camps they attend where your son could present his skills next summer and fall. Be careful about getting invited to their fundraising camps between now and next June.

Second, if your son is going to play on a highter level showcase team next summer you need to find it now. These teams have tryouts between November and January. You need to decide what you can afford. Some teams will subsidize players they believe to be good enough. If team showcase ball is not the answer (it isn't always) start figuring out what are the viable individual showcases based on your list. Then figure out which ones you can afford.

Don't overlook the region's JuCos and state universities. They will automatically be less in price. The more local the college program the easier and less expensive it is to get in front of them. Never follow the advice, if he's good enough they will find you. I've seen some real good players end up scrambling for college programs after adhering this advice.

If your son isn't playing football and fall ball is winding down he should get on a solid strength and agility program. DO NOT take any advice on weight lifting from the football coaches. Baseball is not about bulking up. It's about getting strong.

Here are websites for creating your list ...

D1 - www.d1baseball.com
            D2 - http://web1.ncaa.org/onlineDir/exec2...on=2&sport=MBA
            D3 - http://www.d3baseball.com
            JuCo - http://www.njcaa.org/sports.cfm

I recommend you join hsbaseballweb.com It's website geared towards getting kids from high school to college ball. Many of the regular posters are parents who have already been through the journey with kids now playing college ball at every level, minor league and MLB ball. When you describe your son be specific. Otherwise posters may assume he's a prospect to play for Texas or Baylor and provide the wrong advice.

Comment

• I'm sorry to say, but it's basically a scam. Do not pay $3,000 for this showcase.
              Last edited by songtitle; 10-21-2012, 09:42 AM.
              efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

• Originally posted by songtitle View Post
                I'm sorry to say, but it's basically scam. Do not pay $3,000 for this showcase.
                Song, IMHO most are! But I agree with you!

Another thought: I agree with TG on parent involvement... I would also recommending contacting your AD. They usually have a great bead on those families who went through the process successfully. The best are those with children who have graduated college and have the luxury of looking back.
                Last edited by Jake Patterson; 10-20-2012, 08:44 PM.
                "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

• Great post tg643. My son is a couple of years away from this but it's good to be thinking about it I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by songtitle View Post
                    I'm sorry to say, but it's basically scam. Do not pay $3,000 for this showcase.
                    I agree too. Unfortunately there are many of us who like are ears tickled with how great our kids are and will shell out the money in vain hopes of future stardom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
                      Update:

It's football season and my boy didn't want to play. It's a shame because I would love to see him play but his heart just wasn't in it.

He got invited to a showcase last week. Its the Baseball Factory Under Armour Showcase. They were coming through our state.

There were probably around 130 kids there at the showcase/tryout. I was very surprised at the level of talent I saw..... very surprised. I was to the understanding that all of the kids at this tryout had to be invited and had to be recommended by their hs coach. You never know what to believe on these things. I doubt I saw two or three kids break 80 on the gun (i didn't' have a gun but just guessing). All of these were supposed to be Jr. and Sr.

But since my job is going pretty good I decided to pay the $200 and let little sparks attend the event.

When he got up there to pitch I didn't' see any other kid even close to his speed..... I may have saw one other kid that was a little close but the rest were..... well..... they were just slow. I doubt many broke 75mph.

It was the off season so I had little hope for little sparks.

When it was all said and done we got a call from the Baseball Factory and they told us they liked my boy. They said he was consistent at 83mph and threw faster (although they didn't tell us his top speed). They told us he was in the top 20% of the country for pitchers in his age group. (again it sounded like a sales pitch and you never know what to believe).

They invited him to be on the Under Armour team.

Here is the catch..... it's very expensive. It cost $3000 to be on the team!

Of course I can't even come close to that kind of money. They suggested we find sponsors.

What I don't get is if this is an "Under Armour" supported team then why are they charging $3000? They told us only 60 kids would make the team from around the country and they wanted my boy to be one of those 60.

Of course we aren't going to do it but I don't understand how Under Armour, a well known company could be a part of such a money making event. Why wouldn't they just sponsor the kids themselves?

I was proud of little sparks though. My eye test thinks he hit 85 to 86mph pitching. He was flat out throwing fire. I watched almost all of the other pitchers pitch and only one other kid was close to my boy. They told us his curve ball was way above average for a hs player and was bordering on excellent. His change up needed some work but he had good movement on his fastball. His bat speed was very good and but with a little instruction could get more power to drive through the ball when hitting.

Baseball season is just around the corner. I'm just glad that little sparks is a jr and he's still playing. It's been a long journey since I started this thread when he was 10 years old. Who knows how much baseball he has left and I plan on enjoying every minute.

Sparks
                      Sparks, this phone call you received is playing on your emotions. I would bet that over 90% of the attendees parents were told something similar.

Please don't shell out the $3,000.00.

Comment

• Of course we aren't going to do the $3000 tournament. I was actually happy with the showcase as I think $200 was a little pricey but it was reasonable compared to many other showcases. I paid for him to go to one showcase and although it was only $45 all he got to do was throw 8 pitches.

The Under Armour showcase had one scout from the braves and another from the Nationals their along with a college coach or two. They let the boy's do many things. It was actually only $99 but I paid another $100 to let him do two positions. So at $99 it was fair...... as long as you don't buy into the money bagging they promote and promote it they do. I felt all along if it was legit then Under Armour could just sponsor all the kids... the amount of money they would spend would be small but alas it's all about making money. It's sad....

I think one of the things that disappoint me most is the way people seem to be making money off of kids and baseball. In my opinion it's an ugly part of our sport especially when it comes to making money off of kids.

At this point I know my boy isn't getting drafted and he probably won't play college ball unless maybe at a Juco level.... which would be fine by me.

I'm just glad that after all these years he still loves the game and is still playing. I've seen so many kids, good players, come and go that have either gotten interest in other sports or lost interest in sports altogether.

My boy has two years left and I'm going to try my best and enjoy it. That's the bottom line.

Sparks,

Comment

• I did want to share something with all of you that isn't so much about baseball but about my boy:

This past Tuesday was one of the worst days of my life. I'm so proud of my boy I could bust.

When he moved in with us at the age of 6 he was a sickly child and only weighed 49 pounds. He was sad and scared all the time. Soon after he came to live with us I got him a dog. He had been sleeping with my wife and I because he was scared to sleep by himself. But when this little puppy came to live with us she slept with him in his bed every night. It was a way for him to learn to sleep in his own room and get over the fear. It was such a small thing but things had been so bad before we got him that he was terrified of almost everything.

So this little dog helped him grow up and she became part of the family.

She had been very sick for a couple of weeks so I finally broke down and took her to the vet. It was bad news..... he advised us to put her down.

This past Tuesday my boy picked her up in his arms and we took her down to the vet. This tough 17 year old broke down like a new born baby. This little dog had been his world for almost 11 years. She was his strength when he was sickly and scared...... she was for all purposes the only safe thing he's ever known in his life.

When we got her to the vet somehow the little dog knew and wouldn't get out of the car. My boy couldn't stand it and seeing him hurting was more than I could bare. I loved our dog but I knew she was in a lot of pain..... I worried about my boy.

I don't think I've ever felt that much emotional pain before. Seeing your kids hurting just rips your guts out.

Somehow he got the strength to get her out of the car and he and I went into the room with the vet as he put her down. I still hear the screams my boy screamed..... it was like a part of him had died. My God it hurt seeing him in so much pain.... i would just as soon someone take a knife and cut off my arm.

He held her in his arms as she faded away and he wouldn't let go of her. The vet suggested I let him be alone with her.

30 minutes later he came out of the room.. he was silent but I swear and came out of that room a man.

As soon as we got home he went to the back yard and dug her a grave. He didn't' want any help..... he wanted to do it alone.

I know that's the hardest thing he's ever had to do and I'm so proud of him. Many people wouldn't be able to face things and might have just let the dog suffer and die. He did the right thing and faced it.

I don't tell little Sparks I love him..... I grew up in a home where men do don't things like that.... I told him I loved him that day.

Sparks,

Comment

• That's a great post.

The great thing is you rescued him from a terrible situation so he could have a stable home.

Comment

• This is a short story I wrote about my father and my favorite Christmas.
                              Happy Holiday's everyone......

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._-OtWqb1GE7C1P

Comment

• Here we are..... things are winding down. My boy begins his Jr. year as a baseball player.
                                Hard to believe I started this thread when he was 10 years old.

My have the years have passed.

Our first game is in a little over two weeks. They have moved my boy to catching because our starting catcher went down with a season ending injury while playing football.

My boy has the heart and a big arm to play behind the plate but will need to work hard on his defense. Still it's a good position for him. The bad part is he's the best pitcher on the team (in my opinion) and I'm not a big fan of catching and pitching. Hopefully the coach will keep an eye on him and his arm.

We had our first practice game the other night and I was pleased. Each pitcher pitched two innings. My boy faced the top of the lineup and faced the minimum of 6 batters striking out 5 of them and one had a week grounder to short and was thrown out. He had a good outing for our first practice.

He's still small at around 5' 10" and throws somewhere in the mid eighties. He's been clocked at 84 I think he's probably hitting about 86 to 88 on a good day.

With his size he's probably not going to play after H. school.

I'm so glad after all these years he still loves the game. Lord knows it's been a joy watching him not only play the game but grow "through" the game.

till next time......
                                Sparks

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X