Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I deleted several posts... Again, this thread is about Sparks' journey.
    If you want to start a thread about fathers daydreaming about their sons... please do so in another thread.
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

• Daque,
      Check you PM's (personal messages) - Upper right hand corner under "Notifications."

Comment

• Fisrt game last night.

My boy pitched 5 innings struck out 10 and gave up 2 hits.

The coach never let him bat in either game and he
        Didnt play at all in the first game.

Our school record for a pitcher is 12 strike out.
        My boy was only 2 short of the record and no
        Doubt if he had gone further in the game he
        Would have had a good shot at it.

Sparks

Comment

• That is a good performance.

Hopefully the coach pulled your grandson because of pitch count. Do you have a pitch counter to keep track of pitches?

Comment

• Originally posted by tradosaurus View Post
            That is a good performance.

Hopefully the coach pulled your grandson because of pitch count. Do you have a pitch counter to keep track of pitches?
            I fully agree it was smart to take him out.... don't know how many pitches but I was told he was in the "80's". Especially first game of the year. Records are nice but not at the expense of getting injured.

I guess it just the same old thing...... my boy's coach hates him.

Not letting my boy bat in the first two games of the season was a slap in the face. Yeah I'm a little mad but I've seen it all before from this guy.

This coach brought up 3 football players to be on the team. All these boys are great football players but "ARE NOT BASEBALL PLAYERS". Two of the boys haven't played baseball in over four years and another hasn't played in two years. HE PUT ALL OF THEM IN THE STARTING LINEUP! omg

One he put in the lead off position and I don't know how many at bats he had in the two games but it had to be 10 or 12. He struck out every at bat but one and the time he didn't strike out he had as swinging bunt back to the pitcher.

I don't know.... I just get tired of it..... of course it's only the first game but I see the coach is set in his ways as usual.

Our coach calls in reports to the paper after the games. In today's paper he didn't mention my boy. He had one of the best games pitching in our schools history with 10 strikeouts in 5 innings and only 2 hits. Is it arrogant to want your kids name in the paper? Call it what you want, but when I see my boy bust his tail and have the performance of a lifetime and the coach doesn't as much as say good game..... It get's too me.

Last year when the coach left my boy off the varsity, the varsity team had one player hit over .300. The entire rest of the team hit under .225 and only one hit that high. My boy dominated every offensive category while playing JV and no one was close to his numbers in pitching. Yet the coach refused to call him up.

I was in error when I said my boy was the starting catcher..... from what I'm told now the coach is going with 3 catchers (I actually like this idea). With that said I don't see my boy getting playing time other than pitching and when he pitches he will not bat.

I just see my boy getting frustrated and with this rule of not being able to change schools he's stuck with a coach that doesn't like him and most of all doesn't believe in him.

Ok, I've said my peace. I'm just a little mad..... especially about the news paper article. It was a total slap in the face.

We'll see how the season goes.....

Sparks
            Last edited by Sparksdale; 02-19-2013, 02:30 PM. Reason: wrong word

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
              I fully agree it was smart to take him out.... don't know how many pitches but I was told he was in the "80's". Especially first game of the year. Records are nice but not at the expense of getting injured.

I guess it just the same old thing...... my boy's coach hates him.

Not letting my boy bat in the first two games of the season was a slap in the face. Yeah I'm a little mad but I've seen it all before from this guy.

This coach brought up 3 football players to be on the team. All these boys are great football players but "ARE NOT BASEBALL PLAYERS". Two of the boys haven't played baseball in over four years and another hasn't played in two years. HE PUT ALL OF THEM IN THE STARTING LINEUP! omg

One he put in the lead off position and I don't know how many at bats he had in the two games but it had to be 10 or 12. He struck out every at bat but one and the time he didn't strike out he had as swinging bunt back to the pitcher.

I don't know.... I just get tired of it..... of course it's only the first game but I see the coach is set in his ways as usual.

Our coach calls in reports to the paper after the games. In today's paper he didn't mention my boy. He had one of the best games pitching in our schools history with 10 strikeouts in 5 innings and only 2 hits. Is it arrogant to want your kids name in the paper? Call it what you want, but when I see my boy bust his tail and have the performance of a lifetime and the coach doesn't as much as say good game..... It get's too me.

Last year when the coach left my boy off the varsity, the varsity team had one player hit over .300. The entire rest of the team hit under .225 and only one hit that high. My boy dominated every offensive category while playing JV and no one was close to his numbers in pitching. Yet the coach refused to call him up.

I was in error when I said my boy was the starting catcher..... from what I'm told now the coach is going with 3 catchers (I actually like this idea). With that said I don't see my boy getting playing time other than pitching and when he pitches he will not bat.

I just see my boy getting frustrated and with this rule of not being able to change schools he's stuck with a coach that doesn't like him and most of all doesn't believe in him.

Ok, I've said my peace. I'm just a little mad..... especially about the news paper article. It was a total slap in the face.

We'll see how the season goes.....

Sparks
              I struggle with your post Sparks. Your grandson is the number 1 pitcher sounds like a P.O. and then you throw everyone else under the bus.

Comment

• Sparks,

I understand your frustration(s), as we've followed along with your son's frustrating HS career. From the sounds of his performance, you have every right to be upset for the coach not mentioning your son in his report to the newspaper....I would have been also.

Sounds like the coach has some Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde personality, one day saying, "he would be the #1 pitcher on our team and starting catcher. He even said my boy has the ability to play after HS if he keeps his grades up", and the next relegating him to the bench when he's not on the bump...and to not even giving him a plate appearance, when he sounds like a pretty decent hitter from all of your accounts of his previous success.

Good news is that it sounds as though you don't have to worry about the starting pitcher/starting catcher nonsense, so his arm should be ready for college ball should he elect to go in that direction.

Hey, just encourage your son to be the best he can be no matter when and where the coach plays him.....who knows, maybe if that's only as one of the starting pitchers, his rest between starts will make him just that much stronger and more effective, and hence a better college prospect in the big scheme of things.

IOWs, while it will be frustrating and difficult, only worry about what you can control, and that's helping and encouraging your son to be the best player, and even more importantly, best teammate he possible can be....and don't let the coach ruin his season, or how he performs when he is in there.

What he's facing now, is just another one of those little bumps we all run over on this road called "life". I know you've both been through much "rougher roads", so please don't let this one get either of you too far off coarse.

All the best for continued success,
                mud -
                In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

• Yeah, I struggle too.......

It's been a long struggle for me and I know I'm wrong most of the time.

Sparks

Comment

• Sparks,

If he keeps performing like he did in his first game (absolutely fantastic!), all will be well. A lot of coaches like the idea of pitchers only who don't bat, so he isn't unique. I really liked your boys swing last year so it surprises me, but only a little. Just don't let him hang his head. Just keep performing and those other problems will take care of themselves.
                    The outcome of our children is infinitely more important than the outcome of any game they will ever play

Comment

• Originally posted by JJA View Post
                      Sparks,

If he keeps performing like he did in his first game (absolutely fantastic!), all will be well. A lot of coaches like the idea of pitchers only who don't bat, so he isn't unique. I really liked your boys swing last year so it surprises me, but only a little. Just don't let him hang his head. Just keep performing and those other problems will take care of themselves.
                      Well said. You can only hide talent for so long!

Comment

• If your son wants to hit he needs to stay in the right frame of mind and keep working at it. When your son gets the opportunity to hit he has to be ready. If he looks bad because he's not physically and mentally prepared it may be his only chance. Then he could blame the coach. But it wouldn't be the coach's fault.

Don't worry about what gets in the paper or doesn't. The people who matter find out who are the good players just by word of mouth. My son never read the articles. He said he saw the game. It's just how I was. The only time I got ticked was when the coach threw him under the bus for hitting only .375 early in the year coming back from surgery. My son's response. "Why should I care? Everyone in this league knows I can play." The kids handle it better than the parents.

Comment

• Sparks, congrats on the kid's great first outing. That'll keep him as the ace and, yes, you're smart to recognize that there's no point in overextending him in his first start; that's more important than chasing a school record and risking his arm.

Don't fret bad players getting their shot in the first game or two. It's a common malady for coaches to dream that good athletes will make great baseball players; they almost always fall by the wayside and the baseball players resume their accustomed role. And, the first few games should be for tryouts.

And, of course, coaches will often think they're smart to keep their best pitchers out of the lineup. But, as the team BA hovers at .225 and the star pitcher is hitting gappers in BP, he usually finds his way back in, at least as a DH. That happened to our star pitcher last year and he ended the year as the every-day DH... Something similar also happened to our only decent left-handed hitter because he happened to competing against the coach's son for catcher, but they finally had to give him a shot because someone had to catch the coach's son when he got his first start as pitcher. The lefty hit two doubles that day against one of the best team in the area, and the coach finally had to admit that maybe the lefty deserved a little more playing time, especially since his kid's BA had dipped to .100 by that time. Give it time.
                          sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

• I'm at a point now where I just don't know what to do......

Today we had a double header..... my boy didn't play the first game and was scheduled to pitch the second game. He didn't pitch. He also didn't play until the 5th inning. Our SS had made 4 errors on the day so I reckon the coach had seen enough and finally put my boy in. My boy had one ball hit to him and made a very good play. My boy has a very good arm and if he hadn't thrown a ball 80+ mph to 1st base the runner would have been safe. Instead he got him out by a half step..... amazing play.

Bottom of the next inning my boy batted and struck out (he's had 3 at bats all year).

When the top of the next inning came up the coach put the other SS back in and my boy had to walk off the field as they were warming up.

I've never seen a coach embarrass a kid like this.

My boy has little to no playing time and you can ask any parent (or person who knows our team) that my boy is one of the best players on the team. With an 85mph+ fastball and the coach refuses to play him.

We are stuck with this rule of not being able change schools for 1 year. My boy's baseball life is coming to a close and he's stuck with a coach that either hates him or hates me or something.

I've talked to my boy about this at length and asked him if he has any idea what is going on with his coach. He told me he doesn't have a clue. This is the same coach my boy has played for since 7th grade and has won a ton of games for him. The same coach that put my boy on the Varsity in the first state playoff game in our schools history as a 9th grader, to start at 2nd base because his defense was so good.

My boy is broken..... what I mean by that is his spirit is 100% broken. I compare it to a wild horse who's spirit has been broken. He talked to me tonight after the double header today and his eyes were distant and withdrawn.

He looked at me and said...... if this keeps up I'm going to quit.

For the first time in his life I told him ok. I would rather see him quit than have his spirit broken like this.

I posted virtually every game on this thread since he was 10 years old. Most of you should have an idea that my boy is an above average player. I'm not some parent who wants little johnny to play even though he isn't good.

At this point I don't know what to do and most of all I don't know what to tell my little Sparks.
                            This coach has taken the love of the game out of him. I can't afford to move and put him in another school and in our state if you go to another school you have to sit out of sports for a year.

I just don't know what to do........

Sparks

Comment

• Delete duplicate post.
                              Last edited by pthawaii; 02-24-2013, 01:53 AM.
                              Never played baseball, just a dad of someone that loves to play. So take any advice I post with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Hey Sparks,
                                I'll admit, I only read a few pages and the last two pages of this thread. It appears you are a very emotional and invested dad, I'm curious if you vent, even if privately to others, outside of this forum. You stated you're not sure what the deal is with the coach and your kid or you and I'm just wondering if an emotional comment or two might have gotten back to him through the grapevine (and worse yet, often those comments that go via grapevine get exaggerated each re-telling).

PS Congrads on your son's first outing. Hopefully one of many to come.
                                Never played baseball, just a dad of someone that loves to play. So take any advice I post with a grain of salt.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X