Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by songtitle; 03-02-2013, 07:06 PM.
    efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

• Sparks - Any updates??? How is your grandson? What actually happened that day?

I have to admit, I come here a few times a day checking for updates.

Comment

• Originally posted by mkoehn View Post
        Sparks - Any updates??? How is your grandson? What actually happened that day?

I have to admit, I come here a few times a day checking for updates.
        Mkoehn,

Here are as many details as I've been given.

The day of the incident my boy and a fellow team member, (this boy is the linebacker on the football team) were horse playing in the batting cage. I know it wasn't a fight or anything because this boy and my boy have been friends since they were 10 years old..... but this boy is big and strong. While they were scuffling this boy picked my boy up and body slammed him..... we don't know if he fell on him or what. He either didn't see the pitching screen or just fell on top of my boy but regardless my boy went back first into the "L" screen bar. From what I'm told it looked ugly and my boy was knocked out. When he came too he couldn't move his arms or legs and felt tingling in his fingers and toes. There was a trainer on sight and he feared my boy had broken/fractured his neck.

Next thing you know I pull up to the baseball field and there is a helicopter sitting in center field.

On a positive note..... we went to the doctor today and all is well.

My goodness..... my life has gone from seeing my boy fly away in a helicopter to the doctor telling him he can play ball soon.

If there is anyone more blessed than me then they are lucky indeed.

Sparks

Comment

• Scarey stuff for sure. Good to hear that he is doing much better, and will be playing ball soon. I can't wait to start reading the baseball updates!

Comment

• I'm surprised that horsing around like that wasn't a disciplinary issue.

Comment

• Our team played a double header yesterday and a double header today.
              Of course my boy isn't able to play but it's really nice to see him dressed out and with his team.

The sad part is our team is getting killed. They look bad..... really really bad.

Anyway, none of the parents have any idea whats going on in the coaches head.. it is what it is. Maybe he has some kind of plan we can't see.... I sure hope so but the season is short and we've won only 5 games out of the 15 we've played. I must add that this is the start of the season and all of these games are against 1 - 5 A schools...... We are about to start playing the 6A schools and.... well..... it doesn't look good.

I got a bill in the mail from the Helicopter place for $30,000. That might as well be Thirty Million. No way on earth I can come up with that kind of money. I sure hope we can figure something out on this...... I thought the school would have contacted me by now but I may have to contact them. For the first time in 18 years my wife and I are finally on our feet and this could ruin us.

Sparks

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
                Our team played a double header yesterday and a double header today.
                Of course my boy isn't able to play but it's really nice to see him dressed out and with his team.

The sad part is our team is getting killed. They look bad..... really really bad.

Anyway, none of the parents have any idea whats going on in the coaches head.. it is what it is. Maybe he has some kind of plan we can't see.... I sure hope so but the season is short and we've won only 5 games out of the 15 we've played. I must add that this is the start of the season and all of these games are against 1 - 5 A schools...... We are about to start playing the 6A schools and.... well..... it doesn't look good.

I got a bill in the mail from the Helicopter place for $30,000. That might as well be Thirty Million. No way on earth I can come up with that kind of money. I sure hope we can figure something out on this...... I thought the school would have contacted me by now but I may have to contact them. For the first time in 18 years my wife and I are finally on our feet and this could ruin us.

Sparks
                Take a picture of a check made out for $30,000 and send it to the hospital.

$30,000? That's ridiculous. Hell you could have rented a helicopter ride for cheaper.

I heard that you can send in a small amount every month, like $5, and as long as you are paying something they can't come after you. You might want to check on that though.

Comment

• Took my boy to a "sports doctor" today..... he wanted to do an xray to make sure there wasn't a fracture or anything. I was pretty nervous but all is well..... no fracture. Basically, he has a lot of muscles that are bruised and it's just going to take time. They've given him a machine and meds and stuff to help the healing. We're so very lucky.

Got word today that 6 of the players quit the team today (4 starters).

Our coach has lost this team and none of the parents can figure out what his plans are...... it's not the fact that we are losing. It's just..... well..... the things he does just doesn't make sense.

In the last game (I wasn't there but was told this) one of the boys made two errors.
                  In the next inning he ran out on the field as always to take his position and the coach pulled him before the inning started. (It's the same thing he did to my boy even though my boy didn't make an error or anything). I have no idea what the coach is thinking but it's clearly meant to embarrass the young kid. Why on earth wouldn't you tell him in the dugout instead of pulling him out in front of everyone and embarrass him? I heard the boys father was yelling in the stands at the coach asking how you could do that to a kid.

We are about to start playing area games against other 6A schools and our coach has lost this team. It's so very sad how things have turned out.

It is my hope and prayer that this coach can find a way to get this team back and even if we don't win maybe he can at least teach them how to compete and maybe have a little fun.

Sparks

Comment

Took my boy to a "sports doctor" today..... he wanted to do an xray to make sure there wasn't a fracture or anything. I was pretty nervous but all is well..... no fracture. Basically, he has a lot of muscles that are bruised and it's just going to take time. They've given him a machine and meds and stuff to help the healing. We're so very lucky.

Got word today that 6 of the players quit the team today (4 starters).

Our coach has lost this team and none of the parents can figure out what his plans are...... it's not the fact that we are losing. It's just..... well..... the things he does just doesn't make sense.

In the last game (I wasn't there but was told this) one of the boys made two errors.
                    In the next inning he ran out on the field as always to take his position and the coach pulled him before the inning started. (It's the same thing he did to my boy even though my boy didn't make an error or anything). I have no idea what the coach is thinking but it's clearly meant to embarrass the young kid. Why on earth wouldn't you tell him in the dugout instead of pulling him out in front of everyone and embarrass him? I heard the boys father was yelling in the stands at the coach asking how you could do that to a kid.

We are about to start playing area games against other 6A schools and our coach has lost this team. It's so very sad how things have turned out.

It is my hope and prayer that this coach can find a way to get this team back and even if we don't win maybe he can at least teach them how to compete and maybe have a little fun.

Sparks
                    Sounds like the School Board needs to step in and hire a new baseball coach. This year is lost but they can at least hire someone capable.

Have you thought about American Legion ball in the summer?

Comment

• Sparks, you and your son have a choice here. Get caught up in all the drama, or focus on your son and the fun part of baseball. It's a tough choice. I didn't always make the right choice myself.
                      efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

• Update:

Our team played a double header today..... I as unable to attend due to work but was getting updates via text.

My boy is at most 50% due to his injury but things have gotten so bad with the team that the coach called us the other day and asked was my boy able to play. The doctor cleared him and said he could play as long as he could stand the pain...... there is no chance of injuring himself further..... it's just sore muscles.

So my boy played today at 2nd base. His first game he went 3 for 3 batting with a solid double and two singles. Going 3 for 3 in the game gave him one more hit on the season that 4 of the starters who have over 60 at bats.... yet they play every inning. Yes you read that right... 4 of the starters have 3 hits or less on 60+ at bats the year.

I was told going into the 3rd inning the coach put my boy into pitching. How in the hell he was able to pitch is beyond me...... he is so sore and stiff with is neck that I thought there was no way on earth he could pitch. In the end he gave up 5 runs in 4 innings but only one of the runs were earned. There were numerous errors behind him.

The second game he went 0 for 3 batting but had three very hard hit balls...... he didn't strike out all day so he put the ball in play.

All in all it was a good solid day for his first day back....... especially considering he is still hurting.

Tomorrow is a big day..... we play a double header and get this..... we get to play on the Huntsville Stars Minor League Field!!!!!!! That should be really exciting.

Sparks

Comment

• Update:

What a fun day...... our boys got to play a game in the Huntsville Stars Minor League stadium..... wow oh wow was that a blast.

We actually won a game today.... my boy is getting better and is feeling maybe 65% to 70%. He played SS one game and 2nd base the next game. Made two incredible amazing plays at SS.....wow oh wow they were just so fun to watch. He was playing almost on the grass at deep short when a short fly ball was popped over our pitcher.... he came running in full blast picked the ball up with his bare hand and fired a ball 500mph to first and got the runner out by an eyelash. He also made one error.

Anyway, he got a couple of hits today and never struck out and walked once.

He hit one ball.... OMG..... we were playing in the big minor league stadium and its 405 to center and 335 down the lines. He hit a ball all the way to the warning track maybe 390 to 395 feet in the air.....the center fielder made such a great play catching the ball that the small crowd cheered for him. Robbed my boy of a double..... lol. Great play by the young man but boy oh boy did my little sparks put a charge in that ball. It would have easily been over on any of the Varsity fields we play on. No doubt its the longest he's ever hit a ball and he's still really sore.

BTW: One of our players hit 3 homeruns in one game the other night. Another of our players hit a bomb off the scoreboard in the Minor League stadium today.

Little Sparks hit the ball really hard today but his batting average has slipped down to .266. Nothing you can do though when you hit the ball as hard as he's hitting it and they go right at someone. The good thing is he's not striking out. I think the coach has finally figured out little sparks can flat out hit....... but we'll see.

Next game is in 2 days.... I think its my boy's turn to pitch. His injury should have improved more in a couple of days.

Sparks

Comment

• Played a double header..... not a great day for my boy. Couldn't buy a hit... puts the ball in play but he's hitting right to the defense. Looks like his timing is just a little off.

The second game my boy was the starting pitcher but the coach only wanted him to pitch the first inning. He just wanted to get a tuneup for the big game tomorrow.

Tomorrow we play our first area game against a 6A powerhouse. Where we live only the "area" games matter. If you win your "area" then you go to the play offs. So all these games we've been playing against 1A-5A schools don't really matter...... if we can win our area we go to the playoffs.

So tomorrow my boy gets a real test. If he can have a good game we can get one step in the right direction.

Sparks

Comment

Sparks
                              I just got a bill for 14K for a twelve mile flight. Find out what the school's responsibility might be given it happened at baseball. Then negotiate. I figure I can negotiate my bill to 7K.

Comment

• Originally posted by tradosaurus View Post
                                Take a picture of a check made out for $30,000 and send it to the hospital.

$30,000? That's ridiculous. Hell you could have rented a helicopter ride for cheaper.
                                Not with the life saving equipment installed in the helicopter. They're mini hospitals.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X