This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tg643 View Post
    I just got a bill for 14K for a twelve mile flight. Find out what the school's responsibility might be given it happened at baseball. Then negotiate. I figure I can negotiate my bill to 7K.
    Figure out a way to pay a little each month if possible, say $5.00.

Comment

• Originally posted by tradosaurus View Post
      You either spend the rest of your life paying the entire bill or negotiate a discounted short term payment plan. If paid within a year half off can probably be negotiated.

Comment

• Just got back from the big game against a 6A powerhouse.

It didn't go well.... didn't go well at all.

My boy gave up 7 runs and a grandslam. Our team made numerous errors.....and none of our boys could hit. We got 2 hits in the game.

My boy hit two bombs to deep right, one right next to the fence but the right fielder caught it.

My boy is pretty down and he's upset with his coach. His coach called him out in front of the team after the game..... saying "we had a good game going till we give up a grandslam with two strikes". My boy felt bad enough and to say that in front of the rest of the team.... well what can you say? Also, he pitched the ball exactly where it was called...... the coach called for an inside fastball and that's exactly where the pitch was.

Oh well, baseball is a game about failure. My boy is really down now and I'm sure he's wondering about his abilities. He can either let this beat him or bounce back and get them next time.

We are scheduled to play the same team in a double header in two days.

Sparks

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
          Just got back from the big game against a 6A powerhouse.

It didn't go well.... didn't go well at all.

My boy gave up 7 runs and a grandslam. Our team made numerous errors.....and none of our boys could hit. We got 2 hits in the game.

My boy hit two bombs to deep right, one right next to the fence but the right fielder caught it.

My boy is pretty down and he's upset with his coach. His coach called him out in front of the team after the game..... saying "we had a good game going till we give up a grandslam with two strikes". My boy felt bad enough and to say that in front of the rest of the team.... well what can you say? Also, he pitched the ball exactly where it was called...... the coach called for an inside fastball and that's exactly where the pitch was.

Oh well, baseball is a game about failure. My boy is really down now and I'm sure he's wondering about his abilities. He can either let this beat him or bounce back and get them next time.

Sparks
          Sparks, you are right. Baseball is a game of failure.

Right now all you can to do is give your grandson praise and support and help him bounce back.

Comment

• Freshman son sailed through his first three JV appearances this year with barely a dent in his armor. Got drubbed in the fourth outing when his secondary pitches deserted him and he couldn't command the fastball. Worse yet, it was against a heated rival and former TB teammates. Felt like he let the entire town down and was distraught for two days. I weighed-in with the "it's a game of failure....learn from it....blah, blah, blah." Threw a no-hitter his next time out. Was it the speech? Pretty sure he tuned me out three words in. My best against your best and sometimes the dragon wins. That's the allure of pitching!

Comment

• Originally posted by marklaker View Post
              Freshman son sailed through his first three JV appearances this year with barely a dent in his armor. Got drubbed in the fourth outing when his secondary pitches deserted him and he couldn't command the fastball. Worse yet, it was against a heated rival and former TB teammates. Felt like he let the entire town down and was distraught for two days. I weighed-in with the "it's a game of failure....learn from it....blah, blah, blah." Threw a no-hitter his next time out. Was it the speech? Pretty sure he tuned me out three words in. My best against your best and sometimes the dragon wins. That's the allure of pitching!
              In baseball it's the guys who understand this that go on to bigger successes, both in the sport and in life.

Comment

• Originally posted by tradosaurus View Post
                Sparks,

Be careful of this. This is a myth that does nothing but extend the date of delinquency which isn't a good thing. It doesn't prohibit action by the creditor. Having said this, I don't see how there is any way that the school doesn't cover this through their own liability policy. Additionally, the steel bar seems to be something that would except them from immunity under most state laws. However, don't take your legal advise from an internet board. Oh, a couple of other good pieces of legal advise:

1. Don't get married;

2. If it's too late for that, don't get divorced;

3. never buy a house on a golf course; and

4. don't buy a bar with your friends.

Comment

• never buy a house on a golf course

I lived on a dog leg. I had a lifetime supply of free balls. The grass was cut high in the summer. I went upstairs and looked down to find balls. The house was hit once when some dumb arse hit from the women's tee. At night my son and I practiced our chipping from behind the house. They were never fond of my son taking grounders on the fairway.

If you must get divorced hire a hit man instead of a lawyer. It's cheaper and quieter with no after effects.
                  Last edited by tg643; 03-22-2013, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tg643 View Post
                    never buy a house on a golf course

I lived on a dog leg. I had a lifetime supply of free balls. The grass was cut high in the summer. I went upstairs and looked down to find balls. The house was hit once when some dumb arse hit from the women's tee. At night my son and I practiced our chipping from behind the house. They were never fond of my son taking grounders on the fairway.

If you must get divorced hire a hit man instead of a lawyer. It's cheaper and quieter with no after effects.
                    Unless you get caught. Unfortunately the husband is the first suspect in a divorce case if something drastic happens to his wife. :gt

Comment

• Several life lessons here: I'll take 'em in order:
                      Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
                      My boy is pretty down and he's upset with his coach. His coach called him out in front of the team after the game..... saying "we had a good game going till we give up a grandslam with two strikes". My boy felt bad enough and to say that in front of the rest of the team.... well what can you say?
                      Life lesson No. 1: You have to decide to whom you will accord the honor of getting under your skin. While this is his coach and its tough to blow off his opinions entirely, he's established that he's a tool and is not entitled to that honor. You should tell your son that, while he will outwardly express and display to the Coach all respect due any superior, he has forfeited the right to ruin your boy's day, much his career. With the bases loaded, any sensible baseball person knows you can't pitch around a hitter, so his comment displays complete ignorance and, more importantly, a lack of maturity.

Also, he pitched the ball exactly where it was called...... the coach called for an inside fastball and that's exactly where the pitch was.
                      Life lesson No. 2: Once the ball leaves your hand, everything else is in the hands of the very, very fickle baseball gods. What the batter does with it and how the pebbles on the ground and the wind in the sky affect its path is beyond your control. You throw a lousy pitch and the batter can whiff or hit an at-'em ball, or throw a good one and the batter guesses right (or guesses wrong and mistimes it), and boom. The first homer Ursa Minor allowed was on a similar pitch. Thought he'd bust a fastball in on the hands and threw it right where he wanted and with some zip - the picture shows the ball a nanosecond before contact. The very large Mr. Curry bent his arms and backspinned the ball out about 320 feet. Nobody criticized him for it - he thrown the same pitch a hundred times before and, while his third baseman may have been undressed by a line drive or two, the result had never been worse than a single. You move on...
                      1stHomerAllowedPatriots2011.jpg
                      No, baseball is a game where you don't need to get the right result every time to ultimately succeed, whether on the field or in life. The example I often gave to my players was about Michael Jordan - if he missed a shot he didn't run down the court with his head hanging and thinking, "Gee, I guess I'm not as good as I thought I was"; rather, he'd think that the bad result was (a) an abberration, and (b) something that would not happen again, particular if there was something he could learn from that particular miss.
                      Unlike life, sports often gives a second chance. Ask Barry Zito. (Actually, I did - got to briefly meet him at Spring Training two weeks ago and thank him for the life lesson that his story helps us impart to youngsters. He grunted as he signed my ball; maybe he's tired of being 'the Perfect Redemption Story'.) What's important about his story is that he didn't let some failures and what others said about him affect his view of his own self-worth. (Then again, being tall, good looking, and $120 million to the good perhaps helps ease you over life's speedbumps a little.)
                      sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roothog66 View Post
                        Be careful of this. This is a myth that does nothing but extend the date of delinquency which isn't a good thing. It doesn't prohibit action by the creditor. Having said this, I don't see how there is any way that the school doesn't cover this through their own liability policy. Additionally, the steel bar seems to be something that would except them from immunity under most state laws. However, don't take your legal advise from an internet board.
                        Excellent point. It's an old collection agency trick - get you to pay a couple of bucks as a 'sign of good faith', and you've extended the Statute of Limitations (the time within which they must sue you or forfeit the right to do so) for another four or six years. Get the bill to the school pronto and let the helicoptor agency know you've done so. Don't admit liability (another old trick) if anyone calls to collect. If they press you, go see a lawyer for a quick consult. (Usually, it's bankruptcy lawyers who are the best defenders, because they can credibly tell creditors that, if they press you unreasonably, they've got software that will get you into bankruptcy court (which freezes their right to pursue you and may end up extinguishing the debt) in about 20 minutes.

Oh, a couple of other good pieces of legal advise:

1. Don't get married;
                        2. If it's too late for that, don't get divorced;
                        3. never buy a house on a golf course; and
                        4. don't buy a bar with your friends.
                        I'll respectfully disagree with point #1 and sign on for the others. This could really start a "Don't ever thread that doesn't belong here. I'll just add: Don't ever play cards with a guy called "Lefty" or "Swifty", and (thanks to my big brother) don't believe a woman when she says she's separated but, if you blunder ahead anyway, at least make sure you know where your pants and the nearest exit are. :choke:
                        sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

• Today's games are postponed due to weather.

My boy talked to me last night. He told me the coach pulled him to the side and talked with him yesterday.

The coach told him to keep his head up high because he pitched a good game the other day. He explained to him that his defense let him down. He also told my boy that he only made one bad pitch the entire game and not to let him get him down.
                          He told my boy that he has pitched him against all the top teams and his ERA is still under 2 and he is averaging almost 2 strikeouts an inning. The bad part is because our team can't hit and we are making so many errors my boy has no wins.

I will say this.... my boy needed that talking. He needed a good pep talk from the coach. I can give him all the pep talks in the world but it usually goes in one ear and out the other. His coach has this thing about communication and he usually never has talks with the players and never talks to the parents. So for the coach to come to him and have this talk was well needed and it lifted my boys spirits.

In 4 days our team travels to the big city. I will not be able to attend due to work. My boy has been told he is pitching against the #3 ranked 6A team in our state. He will not strike out 10 batters so our defense must step up. If our defense will step up and make plays we have a chance to be in the game. Even on his best day my boy is not going to shut down a great team like that so they must expect to give up some runs. We just need to play some solid defense and get some hits.

Today's double header that was postponed is in two days. It will be against the same team we played that hit the grand slam off my boy. He will not pitch and I don't know who the coach will pitch against them...... they are a very good 6A team and I hope our team can make a good showing against them.

Sparks

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
                            Today's games are postponed due to weather.

My boy talked to me last night. He told me the coach pulled him to the side and talked with him yesterday.

The coach told him to keep his head up high because he pitched a good game the other day. He explained to him that his defense let him down. He also told my boy that he only made one bad pitch the entire game and not to let him get him down.
                            He told my boy that he has pitched him against all the top teams and his ERA is still under 2 and he is averaging almost 2 strikeouts an inning. The bad part is because our team can't hit and we are making so many errors my boy has no wins.

I will say this.... my boy needed that talking. He needed a good pep talk from the coach. I can give him all the pep talks in the world but it usually goes in one ear and out the other. His coach has this thing about communication and he usually never has talks with the players and never talks to the parents. So for the coach to come to him and have this talk was well needed and it lifted my boys spirits.

In 4 days our team travels to the big city. I will not be able to attend due to work. My boy has been told he is pitching against the #3 ranked 6A team in our state. He will not strike out 10 batters so our defense must step up. If our defense will step up and make plays we have a chance to be in the game. Even on his best day my boy is not going to shut down a great team like that so they must expect to give up some runs. We just need to play some solid defense and get some hits.

Today's double header that was postponed is in two days. It will be against the same team we played that hit the grand slam off my boy. He will not pitch and I don't know who the coach will pitch against them...... they are a very good 6A team and I hope our team can make a good showing against them.

Sparks
                            The kid and you need to let go off all this coach conflict stuff. He needs to focus on playing. You need to focus on enjoying watching.

I played three high school sports. All three varsity coaches were old school, humiliate the player kind of coaches. I tuned it out and enjoyed playing. My son played two varsity sports. He didn't care for either coach. Both thought it was all about them. What I discovered is what bothered me, my son joked about and laughed off. Learn to roll with the BS. Life is too short. How relevant is the BS compared to watching the kid being medevac'ed.

As for performance, stuff happens. I once gave up walk off homers in both ends of a doubleheader in college. It didn't mean I wasn't a good pitcher. It only meant I had a real bad day. As a hitter I started college 0-16 with 9 K's. I survived and became a starter with a .300+ career average. There's a point where it's no longer about talent. It's about what's in your head and heart.

Comment

• Sounds to me like the conflict stuff is much ado about nothing. I'd follow TG's advice here. Sure we all want to win games. Both my kids pitch I told them a long time ago, when you think you can go through a season without making an error, then go ahead and get pissed at your teammates. Otherwise be a servant leader and let them know it's fine, get the next one. Let the catcher be the heavy, those guys always seem to have a chip on their shoulder. Remember when they make that error everyone sitting there sees it (at least those not playing on their smartphones/kindles). They wanted nothing more than to make that play.... Just pitch, and have fun, and tune out the noise. My filter runs 24X7. What TG suggests carries over to work, marriage, traffic, family issues, whatever...

Comment

• I haven't done much posting this season..... to be honest the season has been so bad that it's hard for me to come home and report.

It's no longer if we can win a game or not but if we will score a run. We've been getting blown out each and every game with scores like 15 to 0, 12 to 0, 9 to 1..... so on and so on and so on.

I've never in my life seen a team this bad. We can't play defense at all and I mean at all..... my boy was pitching against a top 6 A school and 7 simple pop fly's were hit to the outfield.....SEVEN! Easy easy catches....the easiest catches in baseball..... all of them dropped. Add the errors the infield gave up and it was a slaughter.

Only one kid on our team can hit.....and it aint my boy. The coach has a rule about not letting anyone know the stats so I have no idea what the batting averages are but my best guess is only one boy is hitting over .200.

Hard to win games when you can't hit and you can't play defense.

I've never seen a team this bad in all my years of baseball and to be honest my boy is part the blame. He needed to step up and be a leader but I think he pretty much doesn't care anymore.

The season is over Saturday. So far our record is 9 and 27..... all of the 9 wins were early in the year against small 1A and 2A schools. Every 6A school has just blown our doors off.

We have four games left in the next 3 days all of them against top 6A schools.

Sparks

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X