Epstein's Fence Drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    I don't think so. I think the kid would clear the fence, even if he set up close to the fence, given the vertical-ish plane of his swing.
    Chris, where is his power v?

Comment

Originally posted by Knights Baseball View Post
      From what i have seen of this drill, it looks like Epstein set up way to close to the fence. He is having to use that weird swing to get the bat through.
      It's intentional.

Comment

Last edited by Chris O'Leary; 12-18-2008, 12:18 PM.
        Hitting Coordinator for Harris-Stowe State University in St. Louis.

I also work with the pitchers who are dealing with injury problems.

Comment

Last edited by Chris O'Leary; 12-18-2008, 12:18 PM.
          Hitting Coordinator for Harris-Stowe State University in St. Louis.

I also work with the pitchers who are dealing with injury problems.

Comment

What do you mean by intentional, do you mean that that is how the drill is supposed to be performed. I know that everyone i have seen use this drill says to make sure that there is no more room than the length of the bat, this is accomplished by pinning the bat between your stomach and the fence. That is supposedly the proper distance. It looks like he is way closer
            Mistakes are the stepping stones to success.
            John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by LAball View Post
              Fence drill would be good for OHdad. His kids unlocks the wrist too soon.

LAball,

there's more to this swing than meets the eye trust me.

EL,

Comment

Originally posted by Knights Baseball View Post
                What do you mean by intentional, do you mean that that is how the drill is supposed to be performed. I know that everyone i have seen use this drill says to make sure that there is no more room than the length of the bat, this is accomplished by pinning the bat between your stomach and the fence. That is supposedly the proper distance. It looks like he is way closer
                Exaggerated distance to exaggerate keeping the hands in and being compact. This drill is usually practiced in combination with the torque drill. I found a downside to the drill, in that my son started pulling off of the ball during bp, but he figured it out. Once he did, he was able to handle pitches in and serve balls opposite field almost regularly.

btw. Isn't that jbooth on the left doing the demo?
                Last edited by 1chapterahead; 12-16-2008, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Way early, but because he's golfing the ball his bat head is still going to clear the fence.

I think Tom Guerry would call this a two-plane swing.
                  So based on this observation, you would lable his swing as?

Comment

when you set this drill up your back foot should be about 18 to 20 inches from the fence or wall. When work this drill you are working on rotating the front elbow and box up and getting tilt on the back shoulder. It's not designed for anything else but that. It's for the students that are having a hard time grasping the front elbow and box. Once again Chris if have questions why not go to the source. Give Jake a call he will be more than happy to anwser and of your questions.

Comment

I think Tom Guerry would call this a two-plane swing.
                      Probably. From my glance at the golf pages on the net this is what it looked like they were talking about. Of course the term definition got mixed up with a tipping loading pattern on the baseball discussion boards.

Comment

Fence drill would be good for OHdad. His kids unlocks the wrist too soon.

I don't find casting so difficult to cure that I would resort to the fence drill.

Comment

It may not be THE swing but it gives a kids a feel of a different swing in trying to understand THE swing
                          Well I dang sure can't argue with THAT. lol

Comment

Can somebody PLEASE explain to me how my original post could come across as an attempt to put down Epstein.

In fact, I could see how this could work as a decent way of explaining the concept of staying compact (as long as you set up farther away from the plate so as to reduce the winging).

Please explain this in more detail.
                            Chris,

The purpose to expose a problem is either 1 to try and get someone to fix it or 2 make someone look bad. Epstein does not goto forums because of people like you. I can go back through and find 10 posts from you trying to make something of Epstein's looks bad or incorrect. 80% of the people on this forum don't know Epstein's drills and it only instills a negative every time you do it.

The drill is not a good drill for anything other than showing a kid they have a long swing and it needs corrected. He doesn't use the drill unless the kid just cannot keep from having the long swing. Otherwise its just an add on in his DVD's. I don't use the drill on my lessons, I will show it to the student because it is part of the DVD's but thats as far as we get.

The interesting thing is why you constantly pick Epstein. Did he do something to you, did he embarrass you sometime? Why only Epstein. I have seen many flaws in your teachings and not once have I ever tried to say anything in public. I just don't understand your methods. A good salesman neither puts down his competition.
                            Last edited by callyjr; 12-16-2008, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1chapterahead View Post

btw. Isn't that jbooth on the left doing the demo?

lol, no its Mike Epstein

Comment

LOL, no -- it really is Jim Booth. (BTW, Epstein is a lefty.) This clip is from something Jim posted here a couple of years ago, and it drew much the same sort of criticism -- in trying to make whatever point he was making about the fence drill, Jim did chickenwing his left elbow a little bit. And, yes, that's Claus on the right. (Also note that there's not umpire -- I think it's from a home run derby or some other such exhibition.)

The point of the fence drill is to teach kids -- particularly young kids -- to keep their hands back and their wrists cocked until later in their shoulder rotation. There's nothing like the clang of a metal bat on a chain link fence to reinforce good mechanics.

But, there is a risk that kids will "cheat" (say, by the chickenwinging seen here) to avoid the fence. As soon as they start doing that, you stop with the fence drill ... at least for awhile.
                                Cally said, "I don't use the drill on my lessons, I will show it to the student because it is part of the DVD's but thats as far as we get.
                                I rarely have kids do it either -- I'll often do it myself, because it has a certain wow factor in being able to stand 20" from a fence and get around with a 32" bat and not hit the fence. Besides, if you have a kid do it with his new $300 bat, his Dad turns all shades of green when he gets it wrong and nails the fence. (Just kidding -- I loan out my fungo bat for the drill.)
                                Last edited by Ursa Major; 12-17-2008, 12:12 AM.
                                sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X