How likely is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How likely is this?

I was in a babe ruth fall ball game a few years ago, the ages were from 12-15. One of the kids on my team, who was one of the best baseball players ive ever seen and probabily the best player in the league was there. During the game his dad was apporached by this guy claming to be a scout from the GIANTS. He told his dad a few tips to tell his son and then left. How likely is it that this guy was for real? The guy seemed to know what he was talking about, but a scout from the sanfransico giants looking at a 15 year old at a fall ball babe ruth game? I mean the kid is good, but that good?Im skeptical about it,but a part of me wants to beleve it because i too was playing in that game lol. What do you guys think?

Very possible! While coaching high school we had scouts visit us often and at odd times. It is even more likely giving that you live in New England. The Giants have their AA team in Norwich, CT. (Connecticut Defenders)
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Baseball America and similar publications are already STACK ranking the top players in America by age 14.

The only thing that seems a little unlikely is the forum. I know it varies in different parts of the country, but my opinion is that this is generally not the highest level of play compared to what is out there. It's a GOOD level, though.

Regards,

Scott

Comment

So that was a few years ago you say, hows the kid now? Any more scouts looking at him?
        While I do prefer to interact with people in a gentle manner... I'm also not at all opposed to establishing my dominance in a reign of terror.

Comment

There are many different levels of scouts. I have been a scout for college teams and for Major League teams but I've never made a cent from any of them. They grant you these titles (complete with a business card) if you coach at a high enough level - just in case you run across someone. It means nothing. On the other hand, it should mean that he knows the game. The only thing it doesn't mean is that he does this for a living. He might be not necessarily.
          Baseball Drills

Comment

I don't know what difference it makes if he is or isn't a scout. Use your critical judgment, was his advice good? Then use it.

Comment

So that was a few years ago you say, hows the kid now? Any more scouts looking at him?
              His skill really hasnt declined or improved, it was dissapointing that he didnt make the local highschool team because of grades.
              Very possible! While coaching high school we had scouts visit us often and at odd times. It is even more likely giving that you live in New England. The Giants have their AA team in Norwich, CT. (Connecticut Defenders)
              I forgot about the Defenders, Norwich isint that far away from here, so i guess its more likely.
              My question is do scouts usually present themselves like that, or do they usually keep quiet at games? It makes me wonder if there were any scouts at my other games....

Comment

Originally posted by kckid2599
                My question is do scouts usually present themselves like that, or do they usually keep quiet at games? It makes me wonder if there were any scouts at my other games....
                Some do some don't. I have had some that make the "big announcement" complete with business cards etc. Other's have called me after a game and said, "Hi Coach my name is so and so. I was at your game this evening and I was interested in..."

Comment

Sorry for bringing back a dead post but I just found out the kid is on my team again.Hopefully more scouts follow Do scouts come to look at an indivisual only or everyone or a combonation of both??I'm currently reading Moneyball which has allowed me to see more of what scouts talk about and who they look at these days.very interesting.Do scouts usually just look at High School and college stats, or others too like AAU, Babe Ruth and/or American Legion players too?
                  Last edited by Williamsburg2599; 04-15-2006, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kckid2599
                    Do scouts usually just look at High School and college stats, or others too like AAU, Babe Ruth and/or American Legion players too?
                    Because there are so many players recruited to the pros right out of high school there are many pro teams that will look at specific HS players. From a hierarchy (Visit frequency) standpoint I would say:
                    1. College
                    2. College summer leagues
                    3. American Legion (College players do play here as well as the better high school players.
                    4. High school
                    5. AAU

The good thing about a scout visiting your team for another player is he is there to find talent. If you are as good/better - and have a great day- he'll notice.

Comment

Thanks for the Help! I'll look out for any suspicious people at my games lol.

Comment

It's true about the scouts looking for talent.

I played with Nate Bowman back before he could throw.
                        Funny actually, one of the best Little Leaguers and up from there but as a young High Schooler he wasn't totally healthy.

Anyway, i left and then found out, he got healthy and all of a sudden could throw 94mph!!! Not a lot of attention though, untill in a game VS Christian highschool he outdueled the opposing pitcher... The one being scouted!

Obviously he has great talent but as far as my sources go, he was found out about by beating somebody being followed.
                        "Do not dismiss what you do not understand"
                        "A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice." - Bill Cosby
                        "There are sound intellectual grounds for holding faith positions" - Fungo 22

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X