Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throw the top hand?

wont this cause a straight linear downward handpath? no....the opposite

dont we want to create a circular handpath like the one jack touts on his new bat thingy ma giggy?
    yes

top hand is the end of the whip...occurs late at the unhinge. You must keep the top hand unlevergaged until the shoulder rotation is well under way

Comment

Originally posted by Ohfor

You simply can not teach a kid connected rotation by teaching arm action. It is an add on later only after he learns how to use his body to swing the bat.
      No stride. Front foot closed. Anchor the lead leg. Learn to rotate from the center.

Without this underneath, nothing will help.

Reaction training would really help this kid. The equipment would be nice to have, but, if you don't, do this.

Have him get into his stance all ready to swing. His real stance. Don't tell him what you're going to do.

Tell him to swing when you say "go". A good hitter will get the barrel to contact very very quickly after the signal. Of course, this isn't quite realistic, but he needs to have the barrel to contact as quickly as a light turns on after flipping the switch.

He will have to first move to a position from which he can swing. Takes way to much time.

That has to be eliminated. He most likely will only learn "where" this position is and "how" to do it with no stride training.
      Last edited by Ohfor; 04-04-2006, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wogdoggy
        ...what amazes me is how far this kid can hit the ball with these junk mechanics.
        Junk mechanics don't have as much to do with "how far one can hit a ball" as they do with "can you catch up to good pitching".

Slow pitch softball players hit the ball pretty far. No quickness needed.

Comment

what amazes me is how far this kid can hit the ball with these junk mechanics.
          Kid's mechanics look good. Wish my son looked this "bad".

Unless he is swinging at an outside pitch his "box" looks too elongated at contact. Needs to keep his back elbow "in the slot" 2 frames longer. Try and have him pull his hands in toward his body as he rotates (i.e. swing "inside out")

Drills that should help:

1. Fence drill

2. Have him pinch a tennis ball under back arm (near elbow) and take dry cuts. The ball will fall out as he swings. He should try to keep the ball pinched long enough so that it hits the ground in front of his front foot.

edit: Please note that these are drills and I would not recommend he swing at live pitching like he would in either of these drills. They should help him keep his elbow in a little longer.

Making contact with his back elbow in the slot (hands in) will speed his bat up.
          Last edited by NJPirate; 04-04-2006, 07:41 AM.

Comment

...Throw the top hand?
            Very bad cue.

Comment

Originally posted by NJPirate
              Kid's mechanics look good. Wish my son looked this "bad".
              You can only see what you can see.

Try and have him pull his hands in toward his body as he rotates (i.e. swing "inside out")
              Please don't.

Drills that should help:

1. Fence drill
              Never use this drill unless your goal is a disconnected swing.

2. Have him pinch a tennis ball under back arm (near elbow) and take dry cuts. The ball will fall out as he swings. He should try to keep the ball pinched long enough so that it hits the ground in front of his front foot.
              There is no reason to want to trap the rear elbow/forearm like that.

Comment

No stride. Front foot closed. Anchor the lead leg. Learn to rotate from the center.

Without this underneath, nothing will help.

I'm going to try this.ohfor have you seen mankins vid?
                im thinking of just using his top hand drill into the heavy bag to start.

No stride just to learn? or try to go that avenue?
                maybe just pick up set down?

he had GREAT success using jacks stuff at first,but was only hitting pull shots and struggled on low and outside.

Comment

He has to learn a new way of moving. A new movement pattern. Get new muscles involved.

How long this takes depends on how well you learn what you're looking for and how committed he is to it.

The no stride/closed foot/anchored leg stance will help him learn to swing the bat with his body not his arms. Once he picks up on that, if he wants to stride, fine.

But, don't let the stride degrade what he just learned.

Has anyone been watching "Knight School" on ESPN. Bobby Knight was shown playing wiffle ball with his grandson. The kid looks to be 3 years old or so. He's using a flintstone type bat with the huge barrel. The kid just rotates like hell, using his body only, and hits a rocket back at Knight that just misses his groin.

In less than 5 years, unless he's very fortunate, he'll be swinging with his arms. Considering he's only 3 (I'm guessing on the age) he swings the bat better than 90% of all amateur players. And, those 90% probably swung it better when they were 3..........before they got instruction.

That is the state of the state of baseball.
                  Last edited by Ohfor; 04-04-2006, 07:11 AM.

Comment

The kid looks to be 3 years old or so. He's using a flintstone type bat with the huge barrel. The kid just rotates like hell using his body only and hits a rocket back at Knight that just misses his groin.

Damn funny you mentioned that.I have some vid of my younger kid hitting off the t with that flinstone bat...AMAZING..

DIXON IS RIGHT.

Comment

Very bad cue.
                      true.. i don't like it either...you do need to know what it ienvolves

Comment

maybe just pick up set down?
                        Please no...he will back foot spin. If you no stride at least shift into the front side

Comment

Drill

[QUOTE=wogdoggy]

QUOTE]

Personally, I'd avoid the top hand drill. If you are going to do a one-handed drill do it with the bottom hand.

What I'd do is have him turn his knees in, no stride, press the bat against the top of his back shoulder, tilt and turn to the ball (keeping his box and keeping the bat pressed lightly against his back shoulder). Have him turn a couple of times towards the ball (or heavy bag) without unhinging and then on the third time release and hit the ball or the bag.

I'd video him from both the back (mainly to check his angles) and from the side while he's doing these drills and then post them again.

Joe

Comment

thanks joe,willing to try anything.

Comment

If you are going to do a one-handed drill do it with the bottom hand

Woggy...

One problem I have seen is that they are trying to do the bottom hand drill when swinging and they cannot stop the top hand from taking over. You have posted that over a few times. The intuitive thing IS to do more bottom hand drills with more rotation but it doesn't work very often unless you throw right and bat left

If the top hand is unleveraged in the hand set up and is following the handle down in the plane transition from a vertical bat to the launch slot at swing initiation then it is still disabled as far as pulling forward. The bottom hand WILL connect..I promise.

I can fix that in 10 swings and then see how bad the rest really is...usually not bad

Do the drill with the top hand into the bag from three positions.

1. the exact position his bat and top hand start from now

2. A higher rear elbow and the bat splitting the helmet

3. a higher rear elbow and the bat in front and tipped to pitcher

Start your hip turn as the bat is coming down and behind you in position 2 & 3.

If you cannot feel that call Ofher and get on the 36 month plan...by then he will want to play soccer
                              Last edited by swingbuster; 04-04-2006, 04:01 PM.

Comment

I can fix that in 10 swings and then see how bad the rest really is...usually not bad

ELABORATE in english please!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X