Background Checks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Checks

This year I am coaching my boy's little league team.

12 years ago I had three DUI's.

I am concerned about the background checks and if I will be able to coach my sons team.

From what I've read on the Little League webpage they check for SOR or for crimes against children. Of course I"ve never had anything at all like that.

I really don't want to break my boys heart and have someone come and tell me I can't coach his team.

Any advice would be appreciated,

thanks

i have been told by our little league president that you can be an ax murderer and still coach. if you are a sex offender you can not coach. you can not let anyone help out at games or practice unless they have had a background check. but you can allow a parent out of the stands ump the game without a background check they are not considered to be in close contact with the kids. i have been on probation about 15 years ago once for a dui and once for winning a fight it has not affected them letting me coach.

Comment

Originally posted by vichop
      i have been told by our little league president that you can be an ax murderer and still coach.
      Absolutely NOT true. The background checks are done through local and state police and specifically look for crimes that put children at risk. I do not think you will have trouble with three DUI's from 12 years ago. Our league has denied coaches.
      "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
      - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Just try not to drink infront of the kids before you take them somewhere in your vehicle. Then you won't have to worry about it. I'm just kidding! There was that movie with Angelina Jollie's x husband (can't remeber his name) as the coach - he drank & drove with the kids in the car, not cool thing to do - or even put in a movie!

You won't have any problems, trust me we had a man who just got out of prison a few months prior to the beginning of the season & he still got to coach! Thing is that there was no sex crimes, or anything against him that could harm the children. Now only three of the parents even knew about what happened - but we didn't talk about it either, that's his decision if he wants to share it with the league. Unfortunately some of the kids at school knew about the kids father & he had a really hard time with it - because he was told his dad was working somewhere far off for a year. (My dad went to prison for two years & I knew up front since I was in court with him everyday- trust me things got turned around from the parents to kids really quick & I fought alot of kids about it because I knew the truth - so I knew I had a reason to fight with them & to believe in him) - okay so some of you are probably wondering now so i'll just tell you, my dad beat his best friend nearly to death (they're all alcoholics) because the guy tried to rape & beat his own girlfriend (all in my dads van while they were driving down the road) dad pulled over, grabbed the guy & commenced to beating him! The woman was already unconscious (in a comma for almost two weeks) and she had no idea what had even happened. When someone called the police - they suspected dad to beat both of them, so he got charged. Later they found out the true story - but it was not dads first time to be in trouble for battery, and he was riding dirty - drugs, alcohol, no tags, insurance, and a suspended drivers liscense. So he got the book thrown at him - no it didn't do no good- he's not changed only gotten older & less likely to win fights!h kinda sadh

But my best advise to you is - be honest with your son - he will be quite hacked off if he finds out from somone else about the dui's, denies to believe it's true then later finds out that it really was true. Just say something like...
        Son we've gotta talk. When I was young & dumb (whatever) I did somethings that I shouldn't have done, they put myself & other people at risk, and I got caught. I have Xduis against me from back in (year/s) , and now I pay to much insurance (just kidding), and the league might question me about it. But I just want you to know it was a long time ago - and I don't want someone else to tell you, because it could be brought up from another parent or player. It's not going to affect my ability to coach your team. (this is also somewhere along the lines of something you should say to the league - UP FRONT) Be honest with your son, and the league before they do the background check - they will appreciate your sincerity & you may find out that they are no angels either.

Or you could just ignore it & hope they never find out! Which they will!

Comment

So he got the book thrown at him - no it didn't do no good- he's not changed only gotten older & less likely to win fights! kinda sad

huh?

Comment

Originally posted by wogdoggy
            So he got the book thrown at him - no it didn't do no good- he's not changed only gotten older & less likely to win fights! kinda sad

huh?

My dad's still an alcoholic who likes to fight - but he don't win anymore! Nor does he have anything to do with his grandsons. He only cares about drinking!

But that doesn't seem to be the case for this dad who wants to coach - but is afraid his past might come back to haunt him. I'm proud he at least wants to coach - it takes a lotta baseballs for a person to stand up and coach a little league team.

Comment

Jake do umpires have to have a background check in your league and how about substitute umpires? I will ask our president to expand on his ax murderer comment.

Comment

Just remember to check to see if there is an ax in the vicinity before you confront him
                While I do prefer to interact with people in a gentle manner... I'm also not at all opposed to establishing my dominance in a reign of terror.

Comment

Originally posted by coach10111
                  This year I am coaching my boy's little league team.

12 years ago I had three DUI's.

I am concerned about the background checks and if I will be able to coach my sons team.

From what I've read on the Little League webpage they check for SOR or for crimes against children. Of course I"ve never had anything at all like that.

I really don't want to break my boys heart and have someone come and tell me I can't coach his team.

Any advice would be appreciated,

thanks
                  background check is good but the only thing that pissed me is that when i tried to run mine (ssn, speeding ticket, college and even college records showed up) hope anyone has that same access would use it in legal way. look http://www.unlimited-backgroundcheck.com that's where i got to see private sectors database.
                  nursing agency | press ME

Comment

Originally posted by vichop
                    Jake do umpires have to have a background check in your league and how about substitute umpires? I will ask our president to expand on his ax murderer comment.
                    Sorry didn't see this before - there are two levels of Umps those that ump our games and sanctioned umps that ump district games. Sanctioned Umps are checked.
                    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Thanks Jake the commish of my league said they used to have the police do it but now they run the check with particular interest to sex offender registry.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X