Teaching to Track the ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching to Track the ball

I've got a few drill to help teach tracking but I really question their method & if it will even work. One is to climb up on a ladder and drop a small soft ball - that this particular website sells- to a batter who is on one knee. Don't get me wrong it may work - but I question it & am looking for a better way to teach tracking.

One thing I plan to do is put a target window behind the base for the pitcher to pitch into - then have a batter at ready position (not swing) but yell whether if the pitch was a strike, ball, inside, etc. Then the batter is told yes it was a ______, or no it was _______. Also I think this will help the pitcher to find their own target zone for different players. I probably won't spend too much time on this - but just thought it might be a good idea.

Another thing I plan to do for the pitchers is to tape off a target window on the fence & have them practice throwing into that window from 46 feet back to help with their accuracy. Does this sound okay to do? My husband told me not to worry about it he would teach the pitchers - but he only played one year of baseball over ten years ago in highschool, so I'm doubting his willingness.:noidea

Originally posted by little_1_lady
    I've got a few drill to help teach tracking but I really question their method & if it will even work. One is to climb up on a ladder and drop a small soft ball - that this particular website sells- to a batter who is on one knee. Don't get me wrong it may work - but I question it & am looking for a better way to teach tracking.

One thing I plan to do is put a target window behind the base for the pitcher to pitch into - then have a batter at ready position (not swing) but yell whether if the pitch was a strike, ball, inside, etc. Then the batter is told yes it was a ______, or no it was _______. Also I think this will help the pitcher to find their own target zone for different players. I probably won't spend too much time on this - but just thought it might be a good idea.

Another thing I plan to do for the pitchers is to tape off a target window on the fence & have them practice throwing into that window from 46 feet back to help with their accuracy. Does this sound okay to do? My husband told me not to worry about it he would teach the pitchers - but he only played one year of baseball over ten years ago in highschool, so I'm doubting his willingness.:noidea
    If we're talking about "pitch recognition" then the second one is great, but you should go with a live catcher, rather than a taped target.

--Might wanna "ixnay" the "adderlay" idea though

--Have more faith in your hubby !!

Comment

you may find this interesting:

Shaping Baseball Skills in Children
      sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X