Proper Baserunning Angles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Baserunning Angles

We were timing the guys from 1st to 3rd tonite. One kid asks me, "what's the perfect angle to run at?" So fellas, anybody have some good graphics? or answers you can back up with solid science... (any 9U coach can say, "you veer out and cut the bag and lean in....blah blah) the beauty of this site is I'll bet someone can come up with a great answer(s).... There's your challenge boys, go to it.

I'll give it a shot.

The only thing I would say, is make sure to touch the bag with your inside foot. This will gain you probably half a step when going first to third, and enable you to maintain speed and proper angles.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 04-05-2006, 09:46 PM.

Comment

It depends on your starting position. Sultan's diagram presupposes that you're starting from the batter's box and so you've got a big arc from going around first to get to second. If you're only aiming for two bases, I'd go with the old banana turn. Go in a straight line from first toward second; when you pick up the third base coach's sign to continue to third (which hopefully will be when you're about twenty feet before reaching second base), veer slightly to the outfield and then cut in hard, hitting the inside of second base with your left foot, then go as straight as you can toward third. Sorta like this:

Last edited by Ursa Major; 04-06-2006, 01:33 AM.
      sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ursa Major
        It depends on your starting position. Sultan's diagram presupposes that you're starting from the batter's box and so you've got a big arc from going around first to get to second. If you're only aiming for two bases, I'd go with the old banana turn. Go in a straight line from first toward second; when you pick up the third base coach's sign to continue to third (which hopefully will be when you're about twenty feet before reaching second base), veer slightly to the outfield and then cut in hard, hitting the inside of second base with your left foot, then go as straight as you can toward third.
        Oh my bad. I read it wrong, oops.

I agree with you. If the ball is in front of you, or if you can get a good read on the ball to center (outfielder's position, how far he has to go, his angle) you can start your outer veer at that point.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 04-06-2006, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X