whats a good drill for hitting through the ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats a good drill for hitting through the ball

i think i have a problem not swinging through the ball and getting good extension through the ball. i know this can help put backspin on the ball and hit it further. whats a good drill to do to keep both hands on the bat and wrists cocked through the baseball....thanx in advance

if you don't have a heavy bag...find a semi-inflated soccer ball and put it on a tee or soft toss it. You will get the feel of hitting through the ball.

SC

Comment

Heavy bag or hang a tire from a tree and take some cuts at it.

I personally have found a deflated basketball works pretty well.

Comment

Totally agree about the soccer balls. Had a player last year (9-10 yo) who would not finish hius swing. We soft tossed him soccer balls 5 mionutes over two practices, and he started getting hits. Almost like magic

Comment

Stick a toilet plunger handle down in a batting tee to hold a semi-inflated soccer ball.

You can also use a heavy bag strapped to a handcart, but you need to remember to hold the bat at the point of contact and not allow it to recoil.

Comment

Originally posted by baseballislife2008 View Post
            i think i have a problem not swinging through the ball and getting good extension through the ball. i know this can help put backspin on the ball and hit it further. whats a good drill to do to keep both hands on the bat and wrists cocked through the baseball....thanx in advance

baseballislife2008,

I think you need to understand that hitters work on swinging down, level, and slightly upward through the ball. IMO keeping the bat out of the palms will help you get extended through the ball. The problem with the downward swing is you have to meet the ball out in front. If you swing down and let the ball get to deep you hit the top of the ball and hit it into the ground. I find the level and slightly upward swing get's you through the ball and creates a larger hitting area to allow the ball to get deep. I would also promote working on hitting balls up the middle and other way. This will help get you through the ball!

EL
            Last edited by Erik; 04-24-2009, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Re: putting backspin on the ball

When you're playing tennis, to hit the ball over the high fence into the adjacent court, you don't put backspin on the ball, or top-spin. You get behind the ball and hit it square. I have experience.

When trying to hit a live pitch, use a technique that has the highest probability of getting the bat squarely behind the ball. If it ends up having some kind of spin on it, so be it.

Intentional backspin shots have a role in tennis. But not in baseball.
              Last edited by skipper5; 04-24-2009, 09:05 AM.
              Skip

Comment

i completely disagree

Comment

Assuming that two balls are hit with the same exit velocity and launch angle, the one with backspin will carry farther than the one without it.

But, intentionally trying to impart backspin is not a good hitting goal. Common-sense--and slo-motion photog--suggest that the bat wants to be in the same plane as the pitch, for a head-on collision.
                  Skip

Comment

i completely disagree
                    on what basis?

Comment

I'd stay away from heavy bags or VB/BB/soccer balls....seen a lot of shoulder issues from players doing these drills too often and it doesn't do a damn thing.
                      MAXX Training - the latest on sports training & athletic performance! www.maxxtraining.com

Comment

Originally posted by Maxx View Post
                        I'd stay away from heavy bags or VB/BB/soccer balls....seen a lot of shoulder issues from players doing these drills too often and it doesn't do a damn thing.
                        Thank you, I also thought that . . . I've never seen a kid not swing through any type of ball on a tee and thought not finishing was more of a subconscious move of slowing the bat, trying to make better, more consistent contact. JMO
                        In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Maxx View Post

Maxx,

the heavey bag is a great tool for developing the swing. What does it do? It provides a point of contact and allows the hitter to work on getting to a good position at contact. I use this daily and have seem major improvement after the use of the bag.

EL

Comment

just to let you guys know i am not a kid. i am 26 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
                              Thank you, I also thought that . . . I've never seen a kid not swing through any type of ball on a tee and thought not finishing was more of a subconscious move of slowing the bat, trying to make better, more consistent contact. JMO

I agree with using a heavy bag. But you have to use it properly. the swing should be launched deep and the bag is pretty much catching the barrel. i don't think that you should be trying to plow through the bag.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X