Att: Catchers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Att: Catchers!

Hello all. I'm new to these forums and I'd like to introduce myself. Over the last month or so, I've been reading many of your posts and I have to say, there are some very knowledgable people in here.

Without doing a detailed search of the forum, I don't see much discussion regarding catchers or pitcher/catcher interaction.

Anyway, I'll be around if anyone wants to talk catching.

This is a game to be savored, not gulped. There's time to discuss everything between pitches or between innings. ~Bill Veeck
    Baseball-Catcher.com

There were actually 3-5 catching threads, I'd say maybe around page 4-10, I'd suggest looking there...
    While I do prefer to interact with people in a gentle manner... I'm also not at all opposed to establishing my dominance in a reign of terror.

Comment

Originally posted by BearsCoach13
      Without doing a detailed search of the forum, I don't see much discussion regarding catchers or pitcher/catcher interaction. [/I]
      Coach Weaver from NH is a catching coach. He's on every once in a while.
      "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
      - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

clip

Here is a clip of a catcher I'd like for you to comment on for footwork, ball transfer, etc.

I'll refer to her as catcher 1

you may have to click on the thumbnail to see the actual video.
        Last edited by CoachZee; 04-08-2006, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Here is catcher 2. I'm looking to improve their pop to pop times.

[IMG][/IMG]
          you may have to click on the picture to see the video

Comment

From what I can tell catcher #2 needs a lot more burst and quickly get up into her throwing stance. She seems to be almost casually standing up. Has to be explosive.

Comment

catcher #1 seems to have a really nice transfer and footwork. #2 was a little choppy/not as smooth in the transfer. On that, I'm not sure about FP/SB but am curious about the mitts they use having any different effect with ball transfer.
              My son is also a catcher and I'll try and get video on him to get some help. I think he's fairly good for a 10 year old.
              Back to your catchers. On pitches from center to glove side of catcher do you employ a jump pivot or stay with a straight pivot?

Sove drills we work on (don't know if they have a 'proper' name) but besides basic blocking drills, we work on the ball transfer by doing one knee drills, he'll recieve the ball, sweep the glove while making transfer and be closing hips/shoulders to partner and make throw. We work on foot work by doing the following: I'll sit on a bucket/chair/ground with a dozen or so balls about 12' (or so) in front of a fence. He'll be squatted (in the "up" position) about fifteen feet from me. I throw, he recieves and depending on location, either pivots (center to throwing hand side) or jump pivots and throws into the fence. This way it stresses more the importance of footwork instead of location (which comes with other drills). One problem I've seen with using the jump pivot is that sometimes he'll turn (or close) to second base like a pole is running up through him - in other words his right foot (right handed fielder) jumps backwards. We loose ground this way.
              Sorry for the rambling but would love to hear what some of you all do. to work on transfer/footwork/accuracy/velocity/quickness etc. Thanks.

Comment

How's this?

Comment

Originally posted by Ohfor
                  How's this?

The guy on the right is way better.

Comment

Ohfor

Load the scap and you'll have it.
                    LClifton

p.s. got a restaurant report for you.

Comment

I have a torn rotator cuff and can't raise my arm to throw properly without quite a bit of pain.

This clip was to demonstrate two different sets of footwork. My right foot never moves. Pudge does the jump/pivot thingy.

Curious about the restaurant. Please advise.

Comment

nice

Actually ohfor I like the video, very well done.

Coach Zee,
                        I would be happy to comment. Could I ask first.....
                        What age are these catchers and what is their glove to glove time?

LClifton

p.s. they look pretty sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by LClifton
                          Actually ohfor I like the video, very well done.

Coach Zee,
                          I would be happy to comment. Could I ask first.....
                          What age are these catchers and what is their glove to glove time?

LClifton

p.s. they look pretty sharp.
                          Catcher one is a HS JR playing 16U. Her times are 2.16 to 2.2 I was hoping to help her get somewhere close to 2.0 so college coaches would notice her more.

This was obviously done is a gym. A game situation may bring a little more sense of urgency too.

Catcher two is still eligible for 14U but playing up with us. Her time is about 2.25 She is young but a great athlete and great attitude. Just hoping to improve her time a little seeing she is playing against older competition.

Comment

Catcher one is pretty dang good. I teach that the right foot should not move. It doesn't have to move. And, anyone who talks to you about creating some momentum by so doing, isn't really informed. Read Dixon.

She can pick up a fraction by learning to not move it. She probably feels she needs to move it, to generate some momentum. But, what is really happening is she's losing her balance by reaching for the ball. If she'd catch the ball against her chest (much deeper than she is currently) she wouldn't lose the balance, therefore, wouldn't be forced to reset her feet.

In the clip of me above, I'm demonstrating a catch of a pitch to my extreme glove side. Obviously, that pitch can't be caught close to the chest. But, notice how I don't let it affect my balance. I still don't move my right foot. This is a very subtle issue with catching.

Here is a pitch to the extreme throwing arm side. Again, the foot doesn't have to move. If done properly, you will be able to load your body vertically and keep the vertical load while doing what you have to do to catch the ball and then unload that vertical load at the right time.

Notice that even though I am reaching for these pitches I never lose the balance over my right foot. I'm keeping the load while still doing what I have to do to catch the ball.

Keeping the load is key. Catching requires you to move to many spots and still perform. Good catchers learn to adjust to pitches while maintaining their load. If you ever give up the load to get to a ball, then have to reload, you're done.

Finally, this clip shows it pretty well. I'm unloading (a littlle) before I catch the ball, and a lot before transfer. Learn to do this and that pop time will go down.
                            Last edited by Ohfor; 04-09-2006, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Ohfor,

Your information sounds very logical.

I know very little about catching (some, but not all the nuances).
                              Could you please give a sequential primer (steps to take) on decreasing pop-time? Would like to pass it on/see if it would help our catchers).

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X