Help me understand the "levels" of youth baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drill View Post
    Puberty seems to level the playing field out.
    Amen, brother. Kids come out of nowhere. Big kids at 10 are no longer so big, and vice versa.
    efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Originally posted by songtitle View Post
      Amen, brother. Kids come out of nowhere. Big kids at 10 are no longer so big, and vice versa.
      Thank God. My 16 year old used to always be the small youngest kid on his teams. Now he's 6' 150". Although at a recent scout team tryout he felt like a small kid again. Fortunately his arm and his hitting were bigger than most there. There were a couple guys that were 6'6" or taller, both look very coordinated for their size and could hit.

Comment

It's all about where you are, and what baseball is like in your area.

In many places it's simply a numbers games. Only so many roster spots on HS teams and ALOT more kids that want to play.

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
          It's all about where you are, and what baseball is like in your area.

In many places it's simply a numbers games. Only so many roster spots on HS teams and ALOT more kids that want to play.
          4000+ students at our local HS.
          efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

The better HS programs down here actually recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseball gLove View Post
              It is a fact that kids here in So Cal play far more baseball than the kids in your area. So how is it the kids in your area get burned out? Why is it that my son's former 8U teammates, my son included, are now varsity starters at far more than a handful of high schools in the area? I'm the one that tried to push my son to play another sport so he wouldn't burn out, it was he that passed despite being offered a varsity spot on the high school soccer team. When the h.s. soccer coach approached me, I replied that I can't make my son play if he doesn't want to.

I watch the baseball tryouts. Evey kid that made the freshman, jv and varsity team played travel/club ball with or against my son. There were a few kids that only played LL/senior league; those now play lacrosse, soccer or golf.
              I would say someones athletic ability will better determine how far they go in baseball. Not how much baseball they played as a young kid. I know kids who played baseball their entire life and get surpassed by player who have played it for a few years but possess natural athletic ability.

Comment

Originally posted by 3and0 View Post
                I would say someones athletic ability will better determine how far they go in baseball. Not how much baseball they played as a young kid. I know kids who played baseball their entire life and get surpassed by player who have played it for a few years but possess natural athletic ability.
                They better show some polish at the tryouts, because there are a lot of athletes that didn't make the baseball team and instead play lacrosse, volleyball, golf or run track. I was at a showcase tryout watching a 6'5" natural inner city athlete trying to hit the ball. He didn't make the team.

Comment

Originally posted by AgentX View Post
                  The better HS programs down here actually recruit.
                  In most IAC's this is illegal.
                  "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                  - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseball gLove View Post
                    It is a fact that kids here in So Cal play far more baseball than the kids in your area.
                    Unless you know how many games a player can play here in New England, I am uncertain how you can state anything as a fact. The last time I looked the Red Sox play the same amount of games as the Padres.

Here's the long and short of it:
                    1. There is a plethora of information available from all kinds of experts that suggest too much baseball is detrimental to development, especially prepubescent.
                    2. Too many games is TOO many games regardless of where you live. Unless of course you are developing a genetically enhanced form of child in So. Cal.
                    3. Performance at the youth level is no guarantee of future performance or skill development.
                    4. I would offer that excessive snow belt ball is worse than excessive sun belt ball as many parents try to cram more into less.... BUT again, see #2.

So how is it the kids in your area get burned out?
                    100 games is 100 games
                    Why is it that my son's former 8U teammates, my son included, are now varsity starters at far more than a handful of high schools in the area?
                    I don't know - I would suggest talent?

I'm the one that tried to push my son to play another sport so he wouldn't burn out, it was he that passed despite being offered a varsity spot on the high school soccer team. When the h.s. soccer coach approached me, I replied that I can't make my son play if he doesn't want to.
                    I am uncertain why the personal twist here. Encouraging your son to play more than one sport is a good thing!
                    I watch the baseball tryouts. Evey kid that made the freshman, jv and varsity team played travel/club ball with or against my son. There were a few kids that only played LL/senior league; those now play lacrosse, soccer or golf.
                    I felt the same way until I coached HS ball.
                    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

[QUOTE=bbb3601;1529672]
                      Originally posted by shake-n-bake View Post
                      LOL # 14 is the best. My son hunt's and last year he had a new teacher just out of college from a big city. When deer season rolled around we sent in a letter stating he needs his work in advance for this week etc etc. She replied to him what was wrong are you sick, and he said he had buckitis....she was perplexed. When he returned to school the following week she asked him if he was feeling better, and he said ,I got a 10 pointer.....she thought it was a real condition, but to some it is!!!!
                      My son has had his tonsils out twice Well, counting actually having them out - three times. When I was in school, teachers would work with you.

10 pointer is a nice buck. Sort of like homering in your first MLB AB. You guys count both sides I'm assuming? Out here a 10 point buck would probably be a B&C non-typical record. We just count one side.

Going to be first year carrying his own rifle. Should be fun.
                      Last edited by shake-n-bake; 05-28-2009, 10:00 PM.
                      There are two kinds of losers.....Those that don't do what they are told, and those that do only what they are told.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
                        In most IAC's this is illegal.
                        Recruiting is very much against the rules in CIF. Unfortunately, it happens a lot. Some of it is indirect, a bunch of kids that have played club together for many year will often gravitate to a particular school even though it's not their home school. Sometimes a parent has direct involvement, perhaps paying the tuition for the other kids or having a field built for the school. In other cases, coaches are know to actively recruit.

Comment

It's the kind of thing that's kind of hard to prove, especially when your program earns a national ranking.

But you'll find kids on SoFla HS teams that have just moved here from the DR or Puerto Rico. Somehow, they seem to find schools with strong programs.

Comment

I have mentioned this before in another thread about a similar topic and I'll mention it again, not to argue, just to point out a difference as compared to what some assert. I live just north of Dallas/Ft.Worth. In our school district we have 3, 5A high schools. Right now 2 of them are in the regional semi-final round of the state playoffs, they are cross town rivals and should they both win this round they will meet in the regional final round which would make them 2 of the top 8 teams in the state. NO ONE ON EITHER TEAM FROM FRESHMAN TO VARSITY PLAYED REC LEAGUE BASEBALL PAST THE AGE OF 9 OR 10. Every player on both varsity squads played on USSSA Majors level select ball clubs as 11, 12, 13 and 14 year olds. THERE ARE NO REC LEAGUE KIDS THAT HAVE A CHANCE AT MAKING THE HS TEAM IN THIS AREA PERIOD, END OF STORY. By the age of 12 rec league ball is so awful it usally take 90 minutes to play 2 or 3 innings.

Comment

Originally posted by jmart2663 View Post
                              I have mentioned this before in another thread about a similar topic and I'll mention it again, not to argue, just to point out a difference as compared to what some assert. I live just north of Dallas/Ft.Worth. In our school district we have 3, 5A high schools. Right now 2 of them are in the regional semi-final round of the state playoffs, they are cross town rivals and should they both win this round they will meet in the regional final round which would make them 2 of the top 8 teams in the state. NO ONE ON EITHER TEAM FROM FRESHMAN TO VARSITY PLAYED REC LEAGUE BASEBALL PAST THE AGE OF 9 OR 10. Every player on both varsity squads played on USSSA Majors level select ball clubs as 11, 12, 13 and 14 year olds. THERE ARE NO REC LEAGUE KIDS THAT HAVE A CHANCE AT MAKING THE HS TEAM IN THIS AREA PERIOD, END OF STORY. By the age of 12 rec league ball is so awful it usally take 90 minutes to play 2 or 3 innings.
                              Rec ball loses its luster at age 11-12 in our area...we usually only have 1 or 2 teams at that age and play other towns for extra games so those 2 dont play each other 15 times a season...that would suck...however its small town america...the biggest names from our area are football....Pierson Prioleau, Courtney Brown, Joe Hamilton....So alot of rec ball players make JV as there is no B team at our school....However we are pushing to get a MS team as baseball has really caught on and alot of kids in our area play travel...including my son who played Majors in the fall...I as baseball director for our rec league even encourage parents to get there kids in travel ball...so I think AA travel will be nothing but glorified rec ball in a couple years...we played a team in Charlotte that had a girl pitcher and played SS...she was the best player on a 12 man roster...in 12 year old baseball...see where its headed...Nothing against girls playing but you get my point

Comment

You know it totally shocks the crap out of me every time I look at a college teams roster and see a player not from Texas or California. One would think with all of that awesome High School Talent they have that they would take up all the college roster spots. Go get a couple of your stud freshman wide receivers that have never played a lick of baseball, teach them to hit, catch and throw and watch how easily they make the baseball team their Junior year. THE REASON ALL THE BEST PLAYERS ON THE HIGH SCHOOL TEAM PLAYED TRAVEL BALL IS BECAUSE THE BEST PLAYERS CHOOSE TO PLAY TRAVEL BALL IF THEY HAD PLAYED REC THEY WOULD STILL BE THE BEST PLAYERS.

Look I understand that every one that spends all of these ridiculous amount of time and money on their kids game doesn't want to hear it because it doesn't justify what they did to an 8 year old child but god given talent trumps 100 games a year every time.
                                Bad Habits: If you aren't correcting them your coaching them.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X