Big Barrell v. Small Barrell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Barrell v. Small Barrell

I know that the big barrel bats would generally give you better pop than a small barrel bat, but I am just curious if there was a reason to go with small barrel over big. My son had someone "walk off" with his Combat b-1, after our last game. I was hoping that someone would have something that showed a real difference from big to small. I could actually see manufacturers being able to make a small barrel bat that was harder than a big barrel which would theoretically make it have more pop. The real difference would I think be shown in the size of the sweet spot, and how much up or down the barrel you can miss by and still get some life on the ball. I like the idea of using a small barrel bat just because it makes you make better contact with the ball, I think. Anyway, any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    DS

When my son played preteen travel I told him to use his LL bat. I didn't care about an extra twenty feet. I cared about proper mechanics and solid contact.

Comment

My son is in his last year of LL Majors, and he has used his small barrell LL bat in travel ball for the past three years. He's been a top hitter on his team regardless.

Comment

In wood, I prefer a smaller barrel. They can use a denser billet to turn a small barrelled bat of the same weight. I have a Maxbat R10 that I love. I can launch bombs with it.
        See ball, hit ball.

Comment

I have my kids practice with a 2 1/4" but hit in games with the big barrells. There is no problem with the adjustment. I certainly understand why to use a 2 1/4" for mechanics, but why wouldn't you take advantage of the larger sweetspot in a game? If it can add 2 hits in every 25 at bats because you miss slightly and get a hit you wouldn't get with a 2 1/4" I think you're punishing yourself by not taking advantage of that. The Combat B-1 BB is just as hot as the 2 1/4" (I like it better than the B2). They are also being cleared out on combatsonline.com

Comment

Originally posted by Roothog66 View Post
            The Combat B-1 BB is just as hot as the 2 1/4".
            Not out of the wrapper, IME.

Comment

Originally posted by Roothog66 View Post
              I have my kids practice with a 2 1/4" but hit in games with the big barrells. There is no problem with the adjustment. I certainly understand why to use a 2 1/4" for mechanics, but why wouldn't you take advantage of the larger sweetspot in a game? If it can add 2 hits in every 25 at bats because you miss slightly and get a hit you wouldn't get with a 2 1/4" I think you're punishing yourself by not taking advantage of that. The Combat B-1 BB is just as hot as the 2 1/4" (I like it better than the B2). They are also being cleared out on combatsonline.com
              I never saw it as punishment. I saw focus on hitting the ball squarely. I did see kids use big barrels who failed when they were taken away. Sometimes kluged equipment can provide a false sense of security over solid mechanics. I was never worried about two more hits or batting average. The team won a lot. My son turned into a very good baseball player.

Comment

Originally posted by tg643 View Post
                I never saw it as punishment. I saw focus on hitting the ball squarely. I did see kids use big barrels who failed when they were taken away. Sometimes kluged equipment can provide a false sense of security over solid mechanics. I was never worried about two more hits or batting average. The team won a lot. My son turned into a very good baseball player.
                Two more hits could be the differnece between a win and a loss. I agree on the focus, but I can't really believe a kid focuses less in his at bat because of a different bat size. That's why I use standard barrell bats in practice (wood, in fact) - so they have instant feedback. However, in a game, I'd prefer in those instances where they slightly miss dead center of the sweetspot, they get good contact. All other things being equal, I'll take the Indian who has the arrow with the bigger sweet spot. Otherwise, it's like you're playing under different rules. If, however, it's all about developing the best skills possible, and you're ok with giving up a legal advantage, why not go wood?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X