Four Olympic Throwing Exercise Drills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Olympic Throwing Exercise Drills

These are four very effective throwing exercises I do as an Olympic javelin thrower that help strengthen and condition my shoulder and torso/core for throwing. I would have to believe these same exercise would work well for baseball pitchers and baseball throwing too?

In #1 I use weighted balls that weigh between 400g to 1.5 kg. I'll do 300 to 500 per session twice a week. The focus is on range of motion,staying relaxed and rhythm.
    Drill #1: Alternating Weighted Ball Throws- Right / Left Arm.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Roald62?feature=mhee

In #2 I use a 1kg medicine a ball. Although this a stationary exercise it is far from static. You will notice that as I lean back on the exercise ball, as I catch the medicine ball rebounding off the wall, it compresses and then pushes me forward as I throw. I am acting and reacting with each throw decelerating and accelerating the ball. When you time it right you can get a tremendous ab, lat, tricep and chest stretch with each throw. I often think of this drill as the speed bag exercise that boxers do. I'll do between 1000 to 3000 of these throws per session twice a week.
    Drill #2: Seated Two Handed Medicine Ball Throws
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Roald62?.../0/_EzlW9ghIpk

In #3 I use a weighted ball: 400g, 600g, 800g, 1kg and 1.5kg. It is the same concept as the #2 Drill but I do half the amount per session - 500 to 1500 - and do them is sets of 25 reps.
    Drill #3: Seated One Arm Weighted Ball Throw:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Roald62?.../1/_E4clw_kGXs

In #4 I use a 1 kg med ball again. I'll do this exercise before I throw javelin. The focus is on correct sequencing and throwing for height as well as distance. I'll do 10 to 25 reps each side and straight.
    Drill #4: Two Handed Overhead Medicine Ball Throws - for height / distance.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Roald62?.../2/zrR9HH_GQDE

great post as always roald. it's always good to look at the conditioning of other sports.

good luck for your olympic trials this year.

I really like those gymnastic ball throws. they provide a lot of stretch in the chest area and engagement of the lats. also a lot of shoulder flexibility which means a longer acceleration path.

Another question: in baseball as in javelin the hip drive/rotation is very important. since a lot of players have weak and inflexible hips what do you recommend technically and physically to get a stronger hip drive?
    Last edited by dominik; 02-09-2012, 01:20 PM.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Roald62,
      Glad to see you are still at it! Are you competing this summer?
      Jake
      "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
      - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
        Roald62,
        Glad to see you are still at it! Are you competing this summer?
        Jake
        I am indeed. UK Olympic Trials are set for June 22nd to 24th.

There is one exercise in particular that I do that really helps with hip drive. I will post the video shortly for that.

Comment

Let's see you throw a baseball. :hyper:

Comment

Originally posted by tpav View Post
            Let's see you throw a baseball. :hyper:
            Tpav - You wouldn't want him to throw it at you.
            "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
            - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X