Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Over-rotating Back Foot

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Over-rotating Back Foot

    I've had issues with balance over the past year or so, and have fixed (I think) many aspects of my swing since then. There is obviously still room for improvement but the one thing I haven't gotten over is the balance issues. It seems when my back foot over rotates I end up off balance, and when it doesn't over rotate I find myself usually balanced. What causes the over rotation, how do I fix it and what other problems are there? Also, if you skip to 2:17 I'm using a shorter bat. I'm at a loss as to which size I should use in this upcoming season.



    (The video's rather long with about 75 total swings.. inconsistency in my swings is also a problem I'm trying to fix, two swings in a row hardly ever feel the same)
    Last edited by chain220; 02-21-2012, 04:53 PM. Reason: Added detail
    There are numerous great baseball quotes. The best ever? "Play ball."

  • #2
    Originally posted by chain220 View Post
    I've had issues with balance over the past year or so, and have fixed (I think) many aspects of my swing since then. There is obviously still room for improvement but the one thing I haven't gotten over is the balance issues. It seems when my back foot over rotates I end up off balance, and when it doesn't over rotate I find myself usually balanced. What causes the over rotation, how do I fix it and what other problems are there?

    The problem is that, when you are rotated up on your front toe, you are simultaneously extending something in your back leg (e.g. your back knee, but I can't tell from the angle), so you end up on your toes right when you start your swing.
    Hitting Coordinator for Harris-Stowe State University in St. Louis.

    I also work with the pitchers who are dealing with injury problems.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm not exactly sure I understand what you mean.. basically after my weight shift I should just relax my back leg and let my hips pull it?

      EDIT: I read front toe as back toe for some reason.. so basically I'm pushing my weight up instead of forward at the beginning of my swing?
      There are numerous great baseball quotes. The best ever? "Play ball."

      Comment


      • #4
        Have you always hit with "no stride"? This works for some guys and not for others. Maybe just go to a short soft step and keep that front leg more quiet.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by chain220 View Post
          basically after my weight shift I should just relax my back leg and let my hips pull it?

          so basically I'm pushing my weight up instead of forward at the beginning of my swing?
          Yes and yes.
          Hitting Coordinator for Harris-Stowe State University in St. Louis.

          I also work with the pitchers who are dealing with injury problems.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Stampede View Post
            Have you always hit with "no stride"? Maybe just go to a short soft step and keep that front leg more quiet.
            No I haven't. I never really realized my stride shortened to nothing, I guess it just came with the changes I made this winter/fall. I used to have a decent stride.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F41y-...eature=related
            Though, my front leg isn't exactly quiet in that video.
            Last edited by chain220; 02-21-2012, 05:08 PM.
            There are numerous great baseball quotes. The best ever? "Play ball."

            Comment


            • #7
              You have no stride and you are striking the ball too far back (the bat is still lagged back).
              chain220freeze1.JPG
              - even if you dont lengthen the stride, you need to move the tee forward 6-10 inches

              Shortening your stride has created a host of new problems for you (as it does for most people). I have never once seen a video of a kid here with a stride that was too long.

              Also, you are pushing your hands away from your shoulder/armpit, which causes armbar (and a weak swing).
              chain220freeze2.JPG
              Keep your hands there as long as possible.
              Last edited by songtitle; 02-21-2012, 05:32 PM.
              efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
                Yes and yes.
                Alright, thanks for the help. I'll keep that in mind next time.

                Originally posted by songtitle View Post
                You have no stride and you are striking the ball too far back (the bat is still lagged back).
                [ATTACH]105210[/ATTACH]
                - even if you dont lengthen the stride, you need to move the tee forward 6-10 inches

                Shortening your stride has created a host of new problems for you (as it does for most people). I have never once seen a video of a kid here with a stride that was too long.
                I think the shorter stride was created on accident through the problem Chris O'Leary pointed out.. I've never really felt comfortable with a no stride as I am using now.

                Originally posted by songtitle View Post
                you are pushing your hands away from your shoulder/armpit, which causes armbar (and a weak swing).
                Pushing them away as in towards the catcher or towards the camera?
                Last edited by chain220; 02-21-2012, 08:17 PM.
                There are numerous great baseball quotes. The best ever? "Play ball."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by chain220 View Post
                  Pushing them away as in towards the catcher or towards the camera?
                  Either is bad. Keep your hands at your armpit/shoulder until your back elbow hits the hip.
                  efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by songtitle View Post
                    Either is bad. Keep your hands at your armpit/shoulder until your back elbow hits the hip.
                    Fair enough.. I'll work on that as well. Thanks for the help.
                    There are numerous great baseball quotes. The best ever? "Play ball."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by chain220 View Post
                      Thanks for the help.
                      It comes with a money back guarantee
                      efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Practice the Happy Gilmore drill.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by songtitle
                          It comes with a money back guarantee
                          That's always a good policy to have.

                          Originally posted by tradosaurus View Post
                          Practice the Happy Gilmore drill.
                          Can't say I'm aware of this drill.. please explain?
                          There are numerous great baseball quotes. The best ever? "Play ball."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            My 2 cents.

                            You are riding up onto your front leg. From there you can only swing by rotating the shoulders hard. The hard rotating shoulders over rotate your back foot. The shoulders rotating hard pull you off balance. When you fall off balance do you fall forward toward the 1st base dugout or back toward the 3rd base dugout? I bet both at times but mostly the 3rd base dugout.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by HYP View Post
                              My 2 cents.

                              You are riding up onto your front leg. From there you can only swing by rotating the shoulders hard. The hard rotating shoulders over rotate your back foot. The shoulders rotating hard pull you off balance. When you fall off balance do you fall forward toward the 1st base dugout or back toward the 3rd base dugout? I bet both at times but mostly the 3rd base dugout.
                              If by riding up on my front leg, you mean basically what Chris O'Leary said above,

                              Originally posted by Chris O'Leary
                              when you are rotated up on your front toe, you are simultaneously extending something in your back leg (e.g. your back knee, but I can't tell from the angle)
                              Then, yes. I agree with my shoulders rotating hard to compensate. I believe my hips are trying to do the same with no help from my legs due to the unnecessary extension in my back leg, all of which is over rotating my entire body and throwing me off balance falling usually to the first base side. Hopefully the simple fix of linear movement from my back leg instead of vertical movement will fix the balance issue as well as lengthen my stride. I appreciate your two cents though.
                              There are numerous great baseball quotes. The best ever? "Play ball."

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X