Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swing Coach
    replied
    Send him to my site: kenbrookehitting.com. There are lots of photos and videos for comparison.

SC

Leave a comment:

• Gehrig27
    replied
    Thanks for the responses....so is it essentially that he's opening up too early with his lead leg and not allowing his hips to do that...while also keeping his weight and head on his back leg too much? Or am I misinterpreting what you guys are saying. Also, i don't know if this could have any bearing on the leg issue but he is actually a natural righty (still throws and does everything else righty) and switched at a young age to batting left-handed. He used to switch hit for years pretty successfully before staying left-handed full time since high school (he has expressed interest recently in taking up switch hitting again). Could the fact that his right leg is probably a little stronger impact his ability to push off and stay balanced? Are there any videos or pictures I can show him side by side with his swing to help him see what he should be doing? I just want to make sure I can easily explain and relay any information to him accurately and most importantly, specific steps he can take to try and fix these issues.
    Last edited by Gehrig27; 03-02-2015, 04:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mudvnine
    replied
    Originally posted by songtitle View Post
    If he doesn't fix his back leg, it won't make any difference what he does with his front leg. His head will still be over the back foot.
    Yes we're in agreement that his lower half in ineffective, and out of sync...but we're going about just expressing it differently.

I agree 100% that he needs to fix his back leg. I was just trying to let him know that what he thought he was feeling wrt the lead leg was correct, that it is his use of "his lead leg/base in general and he thinks something is throwing him out of sync"....that is definitely "throwing him out of sync, because he uses it to create his movement/momentum to the ball, where he should instead be using his rear leg to accomplish that.

As far as his head goes (ya might as well throw in his elbow down at toe touch also while you're at it), that's just another "symptom/effect" of his improper loading/coiling process, and not a "cause" of anything. His loading/coiling process is simply "all back, all forward", which problematically takes his weight over his back foot, not just his head.

Once he learns to load/coil "into" the rear leg ("around" is also a good cue), and not "onto" it, his weight (and head) will be maintained properly, in a position to work/drive out of the rear leg, instead of simply being pulled off of it by his lead leg as is being done now.

Leave a comment:

• songtitle
    replied
    If he doesn't fix his back leg, it won't make any difference what he does with his front leg. His head will still be over the back foot.
    Last edited by songtitle; 03-02-2015, 07:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mudvnine
    replied
    1. Plenty of hitters have the same lead leg action, without issue. I like the strong lead leg drive. Why hamper it?
    2. The lead leg is not causing this, but you have identified exactly the issue. Lack of back leg drive/coil.

Having said all that, if he tamped down the front leg for a few days until he felt more action in the back leg, I'm OK with that. But, I would like him to reincorporate the front leg drive as well at some point.

At toe touch...
    [ATTACH]146287[/ATTACH]
    1.) No, they have the same front leg lift, but not "the same lead leg action". They do not turn it open with the lead leg, like Gehrig's brother does (see your still above), but rather with the lead hip/pelvic girdle opening from the use of the rear leg turning the pelvic girdle open, while the lead leg after (or just slightly before) toe touch....

....and why I said "throwing him "out of sync", as it's pulling any coil/load he might have previously created".

2.) Of course the lead leg is causing it as I just stated, and showed above how he's using the leg incorrectly out of the lead leg lift he's using. I didn't say to get rid of the lead leg lift, if that's what he likes to do, or even "tamp" it down a bit, but simply learn to use it correctly.

The other stuff you posted is of zero use if he doesn't get the lead leg/rear leg synced properly....and then that's even questionable, as you continue to worry about "effects" from other troublesome sync/sequence "causes" problems.
    Last edited by mudvnine; 03-01-2015, 09:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• songtitle
    replied
    Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
    1. the overactive use of his lead leg is throwing him "out of sync"

2. as it's pulling any coil/load he might have previously created along his rear side
    1. Plenty of hitters have the same lead leg action, without issue. I like the strong lead leg drive. Why hamper it?
    2. The lead leg is not causing this, but you have identified exactly the issue. Lack of back leg drive/coil.

Having said all that, if he tamped down the front leg for a few days until he felt more action in the back leg, I'm OK with that. But, I would like him to reincorporate the front leg drive as well at some point.

At toe touch...
    2015-0301-greg.JPG

1. The head is over the back leg. The back leg has not driven forward.

2. The back forearm is almost vertical. There is no leverage left to turn the bat head. The back forearm should be mostly horizontal here. And the hands should be in front of the back elbow.
    Last edited by songtitle; 03-01-2015, 08:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mudvnine
    replied
    Originally posted by Gehrig27 View Post
    ....says he feels too mechanical; in particular his lead leg/base in general and he thinks something is throwing him out of sync. I thought maybe he should keep his hands back a little more to begin with and be more direct and steady with his upper body but what do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH6x...ature=youtu.be
    Your brother's correct, the overactive use of his lead leg is throwing him "out of sync", as it's pulling any coil/load he might have previously created along his rear side. His sequence is also effected by it, as his hands start down to the ball, before his rear leg/hip has even started, much less take them to the ball as they should be.

Moving "his hands back a little more" won't hurt, but that won't really fix the underlying problem that his lead leg movement(s) are causing....IMO obviously, I'm sure you'll hear others.

Leave a comment:

• skipper5
    replied
    Originally posted by Gehrig27 View Post
    Sorry about that. Should be good now though.
    A highly visible symptom is a lack of extension after contact.
    Last edited by skipper5; 03-01-2015, 04:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gehrig27
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilliesPhan22 View Post
    Video is private. :\
    Sorry about that. Should be good now though.

Leave a comment:

• PhilliesPhan22
    replied
    Video is private. :\

Leave a comment:

• Gehrig27
    replied
    Hey guys, just bumping this. A couple years later and my brother is still playing amateur ball in the HVNABA. He's been a little frustrated with his swing recently, he's put on more muscle, but says he doesn't feel comfortable at the plate right now. Had trouble in the past dropping his shoulder and tried to work his way out of bad habits, but feels he has gotten too far away from his natural swing/comfort level. He gets on base a lot via his speed and still batted .350 but he wants to be able to square the ball up more and make more solid contact to drive the ball with authority. He feels he is just missing too many hittable pitches IE: the singles should be doubles. He took a couple cuts in the basement (so his follow through might be a bit abbreviated) and says he feels too mechanical; in particular his lead leg/base in general and he thinks something is throwing him out of sync. I thought maybe he should keep his hands back a little more to begin with and be more direct and steady with his upper body but what do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH6x...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Gehrig27; 03-01-2015, 10:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jbooth
    replied
    I agree with azmats, but I would not 'reach' with your front foot like Ethier does.
    Eithier isn't reaching with his foot. He picks it up, pushes from the butt and drops it down as his butt pushes him forward. His rear hip moves forward almost the same amount as his foot moves forward, and they both move forward simultaneously. He's pushing from the butt, as I've tried to explain to you before.

Last edited by jbooth; 02-26-2012, 12:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tradosaurus
    replied
    Ted Williams in his book "The Science of Hitting" advocated holding the bat vertical was the ideal position although I belive the pre-swing is for the most part irrelevant except for the comfort and timing of the batter.

ted-williams-science-of-hitting2.jpg

Look at youtube videos of swing analysis of MLB hitters. The pre-swing is different for many of them.

Leave a comment:

• Swing Coach
    replied
    Guys,
    You are all missing the major flaw here. This kid is strong and athletic, yet he starts his bat totally vertical. His lack of early bat speed rearward is leading to some problems later. Tell your brother to stop listening to people who have told him to hold the bat vertical (to increase bat speed) or to "not wrap." what he is doing is not athletic or natural and really hurting his swing. Find pics of mlb'ers at landing and show him the angle of their bats. This is an absolute since 98% of the best players in the world angle the bat behind the head and point the knob in the direction of the catcher.

SC

Leave a comment:

• songtitle
    replied
    I agree with azmats, but I would not 'reach' with your front foot like Ethier does.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X