next chapter starts now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• next chapter starts now

Wow it seems like yesterday that my son Stevie started playing baseball.He took to the game from day one at the age of seven. At nine he played his first tourney and has played competitive ball since, he has several hundred games under his belt,has spent hundreds of hours practicing and many many more at lessons.We have driven all over the midwest going to tourneys and spent endless hours talking about the game of baseball along the way.

He is now a freshman and tommorow try outs start for high school ball.I know he is ready but I would not be truthful if I said I was not nervous for him.I will not go to the tryouts as I know it is his time and he needs to do this on his own, but Ill be waiting at home to hear all about it at the end of the day.

Really just rambling but it has hit me what a great game baseball is and how much we have enjoyed watching our son play and what great memories we have from it.
    Last edited by ctheusa; 02-26-2012, 06:46 AM.

Best of luck to your son (and you). I'm right there with you. My son's freshman tryouts start tomorrow as well.
    There are two kinds of losers.....Those that don't do what they are told, and those that do only what they are told.

Comment

Originally posted by ctheusa View Post
      Wow it seems like yesterday that my son Stevie started playing baseball.He took to the game from day one at the age of seven. At nine he played his first tourney and has played competitive ball since, he has several hundred games under his belt,has spent hundreds of hours practicing and many many more at lessons.We have driven all over the midwest going to tourneys and spent endless hours talking about the game of baseball along the way.

He is now a freshman and tommorow try outs start for high school ball.I know he is ready but I would not be truthful if I said I was not nervous for him.I will not go to the tryouts as I know it is his time and he needs to do this on his own, but Ill be waiting at home to hear all about it at the end of the day.

Really just rambling but it has hit me what a great game baseball is and how much we have enjoyed watching our son play and what great memories we have from it.
      CtheUSA, you seem to have a very good perspective on all this... As nerve racking as it might seem it's just another step in the journey.
      Good luck!
      "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
      - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Do you have any sense for where your son fits in? Is there any question of him not making it? If he doesn't make it there's summer and fall ball to develop his game before trying again next year. If he's cut have him go to the coach and ask what he needs to improve to make it next year. With Shake Jr I'm guessing it's just a matter of where he's placed.

I never worried about my kids until college ball when it becomes just as much of a job as a passion, not to mention the first priority it to get excellent grades. It's a lot of work to not start freshman year. My son doesn't even travel.

Comment

tg643, I think hes in a good spot, may have a shot at JV but not sure. Hes worked hard on his game is very athletic and tends to be a leader. He was captain of the freshman basketball team. He is a 5"11 175 lbs lefty. He throws upper 70s and has good movement on his 2 seam also throws a nice curve and change up. He is working on a slider but not sure that its ready for prime time. He plays centerfield and some first as well. I have always felt that he does a good job of reading the ball off the bat and will lay out for anything catchable.

He has worked very hard on his hitting and hit very well last summer but he still has alot of work to do if he were to want to take his game to the next level.

I think we did our best "getting him ready for high school ball" and not burning him out on the way. He still loves the game and considers it "his sport". He is on a very good travel team and they have trained all winter and will hit the road again in June.

All that said its just a game and grades are our first priority, so far he gets that but has to be reminded from time to time to refocus as he can be a clown as well.

My original post was just a reflection of how fast it gets here and what a great trip its been. As to where this game takes him is anybodys guess but as long as he's game Ill tag along and enjoy the ride.
          Last edited by ctheusa; 02-26-2012, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Shake, Good luck to your son as well, I know their roads have been similar..Let us know how it goes this week.

Comment

Thanks. I will for sure. Not only have our kids had similar experiences, I imagine that our families have as well. As I'm sure most other families have also making this journey with their kids.
              There are two kinds of losers.....Those that don't do what they are told, and those that do only what they are told.

Comment

Well he made the freshman team. He was a little bummed he wasnt brought up to JV but only one Freshman got the call. None the less I am very proud of him and am looking forward to a full spring and summer of baseball. Let the ride continue......
                Last edited by ctheusa; 03-01-2012, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Well he made the freshman team. He was a little bummed he wasnt brought up to JV but only one Freshman got the call. None the less I am very proud of him and am looking forward to a full spring and summer of baseball. Let the ride continue......
                  Great news!
                  Now he has every opportunity to show the coaches what he has.
                  "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                  - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

This isn't bad news at all. Be thankful you have a freshman level team. When I played at a small school in Texas, we didn't even have JV. Several freshmen made the team, but didn't get much playing time. This gives him a great opportunity to get diamond time and develop as he grows. A lot of development can happen between now and next year and having limitied playing time on JV doesn't help. Congrats!

Comment

Thanks guys all I could tell him is go out and take care of business and youll get your chance,meanwhile have fun and work on your game. Ill let you know how things go.

Comment

Congratulations to the two of you, and don't let him fret too much for not making the JV team.

The school I coach at, is not considered a baseball "powerhouse" by any means, and we very seldom have a freshman making the JV team, unless there is a gaping hole at a particular position that just can't be filled with an "upper classman".

Unless a freshman can obviously be in the starting lineup of the JV (or varsity) team, there is absolutely no reason for a a talented player to sit, when he could be getting valuable high school experience with the freshman team.

Best of luck in this and the seasons to come,
                        mud -
                        In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Thanks Mud that really helped putting it into perspective.His time will come.

Comment

Congrats! That was quick. Just have him be of the mind set that he reached the starting line instead of the finish line. That makes JV or Frosh this year sort of inconsequential. Hope you guys have a great season.

My son's HS has made some cuts, but there's no definitive timetable as to when the final rosters will be named. Should be soon though as their opener is in less than two weeks. He feels good about his chances to land on the freshman team. They've got a really strong class. That's why he made an in-district transfer to go there. Not much of a transfer though as we live in a peninsula where everyone around us is in that district and we are in another. I still don't see anyone playing above freshman level full time at least not to begin the year. The school is large enough that a lot of juniors will end up of on the JV team.

Comment

If your son was drafted, would you expect him to play in the majors in the first game? He has to work his way up through the system. It will come.
                              efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X