X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Newyouthcoach
    • Apr 2008

Cooperstown Dream Park

We are going this year, but I know one family is struggling to come along. They have even discussed moving to another state if they can't find stable work. We as a team, have offered to help. One thing that has crossed my mind is what if they do move. Would we as a team have to cancel our trip because we brought one less player?

If anyone has any experience with it that would be great to know before we call CDP. If you have been how was your trip?
  • ctheusa
    • May 2010

Dont cancel because of one family its a great time for a 12 year old. I know there is a certain number of boys you must show with,What that number is I am not sure. 12 comes to mind. In my Sons case, his team at the time was not going but we really wanted to go so we shopped around looking for a team that could use another player. The fact that he was a pretty good left handed pitcher helped as you really cant have enough pitching if your gonna make a run at winning. He got picked up by a pretty good team that had done some fund raising and they paid for part of his fees. So we went had a great time I think we finisd in the top 16. He threw a one hit shut out and we have memories that will last a lifetime.

I think if you shop around youll be able to find the right kid that will help your team enjoy the trip. good luck and let us know how it goes

my 2 cents

Comment

• Roothog66
      • Jan 2011

If you lose your kid, let me know. I know of several kids who would be willing to go with you. We actually are on the waitlist, but withdrew. We decided to do the AAU Grand Nationals at Disney instead.

Comment

• Kings over Queens
        • Aug 2010

You need 11 to go, but in actuality, you need more if you are going to compete. I took 13 kids.

The tournament its self is a grind. 6 games in 3 days AND THEN the play off stuff starts.

You can't have enough pitching.

Read the dreams park roster rules as many times as possible and start thinking about your lineups and fielding. If your team is like mine you probably batted the entire roster and used unlimited fielding substituions. You can't do that at Dreams Park. Some of these kids have never sat the bench and Dreams Park isn't the place to first find out, so you have to work real hard to get everyone in the game.

As far as finding a kid to substitute should you lose one, I can't imagine you having much trouble. There are always kids (families) looking to go for that once in a lifetime experience. Check with your rec or travel league commissioners, and if all else fails check with Dreams Park itself. They might have someone looking for a team.

Comment

• Richmond Coach
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Kings over Queens View Post
          You need 11 to go, but in actuality, you need more if you are going to compete. I took 13 kids.

The tournament its self is a grind. 6 games in 3 days AND THEN the play off stuff starts.

You can't have enough pitching.

Read the dreams park roster rules as many times as possible and start thinking about your lineups and fielding. If your team is like mine you probably batted the entire roster and used unlimited fielding substituions. You can't do that at Dreams Park. Some of these kids have never sat the bench and Dreams Park isn't the place to first find out, so you have to work real hard to get everyone in the game.

As far as finding a kid to substitute should you lose one, I can't imagine you having much trouble. There are always kids (families) looking to go for that once in a lifetime experience. Check with your rec or travel league commissioners, and if all else fails check with Dreams Park itself. They might have someone looking for a team.
          I agree with the part about knowing the roster rules - AND YOU NEED TO COMMUNICATE THEM WITH THE PARENTS. I know of 2 specific teams that were together for multiple years that broke up after going to CDP because parents were offended when their kid sat the bench and they weren't used to it.

Comment

• azmatsfan
            Baseball Dad
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by ctheusa View Post
            Dont cancel because of one family its a great time for a 12 year old. I know there is a certain number of boys you must show with,What that number is I am not sure. 12 comes to mind. In my Sons case, his team at the time was not going but we really wanted to go so we shopped around looking for a team that could use another player. The fact that he was a pretty good left handed pitcher helped as you really cant have enough pitching if your gonna make a run at winning. He got picked up by a pretty good team that had done some fund raising and they paid for part of his fees. So we went had a great time I think we finisd in the top 16. He threw a one hit shut out and we have memories that will last a lifetime.

I think if you shop around youll be able to find the right kid that will help your team enjoy the trip. good luck and let us know how it goes

my 2 cents
            I agree completely. My son will remember that trip for the rest of his life. Here's his highlight, a walk-off HR with two outs and two strikes.

Comment

• Kings over Queens
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Richmond Coach View Post
              I agree with the part about knowing the roster rules - AND YOU NEED TO COMMUNICATE THEM WITH THE PARENTS. I know of 2 specific teams that were together for multiple years that broke up after going to CDP because parents were offended when their kid sat the bench and they weren't used to it.
              I don't think you can communicate enough everything that goes on at CDP with parents. It's next to impossible to do unless you've been there, or have the opportunity to really talk to coaches, multiple coaches, who've been there, about the experience. For me, it wasn't all that it was cracked up to be.

I left there wishing I was coaching a team of orphans.

Just me, the kids, and a small school bus. I'd have been very happy. :stupidme:

Comment

• Newyouthcoach
                • Apr 2008

Kings,
                I thank you for the advice. We as a coaching staff have discussed these issues and decided that we would play several tournaments in this same manner so that everyone knows what to expect. I am looking forward to the trip and hope my son gets a walk off like mini azmatsfan.

Comment

• tradosaurus
                  Team Veteran
                  • May 2011

Originally posted by azmatsfan View Post
                  I agree completely. My son will remember that trip for the rest of his life. Here's his highlight, a walk-off HR with two outs and two strikes.
                  NICE opposite field hit!

Comment

• JJA
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Newyouthcoach View Post
                    Kings,
                    I thank you for the advice. We as a coaching staff have discussed these issues and decided that we would play several tournaments in this same manner so that everyone knows what to expect. I am looking forward to the trip and hope my son gets a walk off like mini azmatsfan.
                    Anytime travel teams go anywhere special that costs them a chunk of change, the parents expect playing time for their kid. For the west coast guy to go to Cooperstown with the family a 4 is over $1000 in airline tickets alone, and that's if you get a great price. Most families who make that trek aren't there to watch other kids achieve their dreams. So good luck managing the parents. I agree that is one of the biggest challenges in any trip like Cooperstown. One of the hazards of being a travel ball coach...
                    The outcome of our children is infinitely more important than the outcome of any game they will ever play

Comment

• JRH11
                      • Mar 2009

Our team is looking at going in the summer of 2013. Really appreciate the comments and advice.

Great video azmatsfan!
                      "Smith corks it into right, down the line. It may go...........Go crazy folks! Go crazy! Jack Buck

Comment

• tradosaurus
                        Team Veteran
                        • May 2011

Originally posted by JJA View Post
                        Anytime travel teams go anywhere special that costs them a chunk of change, the parents expect playing time for their kid. For the west coast guy to go to Cooperstown with the family a 4 is over $1000 in airline tickets alone, and that's if you get a great price. Most families who make that trek aren't there to watch other kids achieve their dreams. So good luck managing the parents. I agree that is one of the biggest challenges in any trip like Cooperstown. One of the hazards of being a travel ball coach...
                        Yes, I agree. My opinion on travel ball is that a coach should look at all of his players as starters and play them accordingly. Otherwise why select?

Comment

• mudvnine
                          Super Moderator
                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by azmatsfan View Post
                          That was really cool "azmats"......most definitely a memory "for the rest of his life".

Just love seeing that kind of stuff.
                          In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

• Kings over Queens
                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by tradosaurus View Post
                            Yes, I agree. My opinion on travel ball is that a coach should look at all of his players as starters and play them accordingly. Otherwise why select?
                            No doubt.

The issue with is that you start 9 and anyone else on your roster is either an extra hitter, or a sub.

If you are an extra hitter, you don't play defense.

If you are a sub, you can go in, but if you come out, your done for the day.

As I recall starters who have been removed can come back into the game but only at the position where they started.

Lets face it, at age 12, there aren't many teams who are playing under these conditions.

Most are batting all kids on the roster and have open substituions. CDP can be rude awaking in that regard.

There are other issues that can creep up, and parents are almost ALWAYS the root cause of the problem or difficulty.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X