Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ursa Major
    replied
    RC, you're getting advice here that's all over the map - perhaps in part because we have so little info about the kid. Looking at your past posts, I'm assuming this is an 8 y/o and is probably facing coach or machine pitch, right?

From your description, I'm guessing that he's disconnecting - i.e., allowing his hands to move away from his shoulders too soon. But, video would help. This may well happen with pretty good hitters who develop more confidence and hand strength and want to go out and get the ball, rather than turning into the ball and letting the proper body action get the bathead started. It may also be caused or exacerbated by bad posture; is he straightening up or coming off the ball compared to what he used to do? (Ongoing video to mark his progress and flaws can be crucial, as sometimes the best teaching technique for a kid who may not listen to you or get what you're saying is to let him teach himself by showing old video of what he once did correctly.)

IMHO - and with all due respect to Virg - any instruction to this hitter at this age that focuses on the hands or arms is suspect. I'd start with the broomstick drill and the like and maybe move up to the Happy Gilmore drill.

Leave a comment:

• Onebigwhitevan
    replied
    I have found that kids who take time off still swing with no tee and develop early roll over. Because it feels good going into backswing when just swinging bat. I usually make them just swing top hand up till they can't hold it there. Try to tell them a pretty backswing is not hitting part of the swing.

Leave a comment:

• giantheart
    replied
    I am by no means a batting expert...but I like the insider bat...alot.. has helped my son significantly.

Regarding chopping down on the ball....It is important that your son matches the plane of the ball with the bat...

There are only two ways to really do this in a picture perfect swing...Hinge the back knee after the hips turn and adjust the front arm ( for a ball low in the zone, the front elbow should be higher..for a ball high in the zone..the front elbow should be lower...this gives you the correct tilt). You have to do both..

I find the best way to get out of chopping down is to use a tee set up high in the zone. soo high that chopping down is impossible. Take some swings... and then gradually lower the tee till it is low in the zone.. After each adjustment pay attention to the front elbow and back knee, ensuring that the knee is hinging and the elbow is rising.

hope this helps...undoubtedly someone will tell you this advice will be ruining your son's swing.. but it has worked for me

Leave a comment:

• shake-n-bake
    replied
    Originally posted by pcarnette View Post
    You lost me here. Would you mind elaborating a bit?
    RE: spatula

Pick one up, particularly a longer handled one for the outdoor grill or camping. Simulate a hitting swing where the face is flush at contact. It puts you in a very good hitting position.

Cannot believe how many of my son's freshman friends have to get their back elbow away from their bodies, arms extended, and wrists rolled over way early. Lottery swings. And that doesn't even mention what's going on with their lower half or their head.

It may not be the ideal hitting instruction tool, but it's simple, easy for them to comprehend quickly, and effective.

Leave a comment:

• Chris O'Leary
    replied
    Originally posted by FlatBusted View Post
    You want a kid to hit "with their shoulders". Oh my.
    Why exactly is this such bad advice?

Leave a comment:

• Swing Coach
    replied
    Originally posted by shake-n-bake View Post
    There's a training tool called the "Insider Bat." Google it and check out there video demonstrations. I like the concept, but save your money and go to the kitchen and get a spatula. Helped my son tremendously.

Also, there's been a clip on here before showing a drill where you simulate throwing a bucket over a fence. This has been around for decades. A coach had us do this with bags of pellets used to reload shot gun shells way back when I was a freshman in HS. Also helped my son. Maybe someone can post it?
    The IB can ruin a swing because if you hold it correctly it is virtually impossible to create a necessary hand hinge through contact. It teaches extending throughh the ball towards the pitcher.

SC

Leave a comment:

• jbolt_2000
    replied
    Originally posted by pcarnette View Post
    Insider Bat

I bought this a about two years ago and it works well for kids with bat drag or are arm-barring. Helps them keep the hands inside or as I like to say, "maintain the box".

I don't use it every day but on occasion to keep hitting drills interesting and to work with those kids that struggle with the above issues.

Leave a comment:

• Chris O'Leary
    replied
    Originally posted by FlatBusted View Post
    No.

The hips pull the shoulders around in a good swing.

But if you're turning the knob with the hands, and not the hips and shoulders, you're not doing what good hitters do.

Leave a comment:

• pcarnette
    replied
    Originally posted by shake-n-bake View Post
    There's a training tool called the "Insider Bat." Google it and check out there video demonstrations. I like the concept, but save your money and go to the kitchen and get a spatula.

Leave a comment:

• AdamInNY
    replied
    Quick question about the Insider bat. On the site the instructions and most of the videos show people hitting of a tee placed directly on home plate instead of having the tee in front of home plate where I'd normally place it. Which is the correct location when using the insider bat?

Adam

Leave a comment:

• shake-n-bake
    replied
    There's a training tool called the "Insider Bat." Google it and check out there video demonstrations. I like the concept, but save your money and go to the kitchen and get a spatula. Helped my son tremendously.

Also, there's been a clip on here before showing a drill where you simulate throwing a bucket over a fence. This has been around for decades. A coach had us do this with bags of pellets used to reload shot gun shells way back when I was a freshman in HS. Also helped my son. Maybe someone can post it?

Leave a comment:

• FlatBusted
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    Tell us more about this.

In general, if a kid does with their hands and not their hips and shoulders, then the result isn't going to be good.

Leave a comment:

• tradosaurus
    replied
    I like the fungo drill also because for some reason I find that most kids who may have a problem with form automatically use the right form when doing this drill. Personally I would have a kid hit balls to someone in the outfield (while standing at home plate) and then film him.
    Homeruns are worth a $1.00.:hyper:

Leave a comment:

• mudvnine
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    There are multiple problems with this drill.
    Then list them....

Leave a comment:

• Chris O'Leary
    replied
    Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
    ......or the "One Leg, SnF" drill......

There are multiple problems with this drill.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X