Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10U Swing Advice and Critique

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 10U Swing Advice and Critique

    My son and I have just started working on his swing again for the Spring season. He is playing for a 10U travel team and i am trying to help him improve on his rotational hitti This is him taking some swings on our bag both from side view and from back view. We are working on him using the hips to pull the hands around and stopping at contact. We are not using the bag to push through or extend through the bag. The purpose is to have a quick bat to contact through use of hips before hands. ( i know in the videos he is still extending after but if you pause before the extension you will see at contact on some of the swings he has the bent arm working up and around look that i want to see.)

    We are looking for some advice and critique on what he is doing well and what needs to work on and improve. Any advice and suggestions are appreciated. New videos closer to bag are further down in this thread.



    Last edited by jo6889; 03-09-2012, 08:31 PM.

  • #2
    Bag is way to far out in front of him

    contact.jpg
    Last edited by benz99; 03-09-2012, 05:48 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Great point Benz. The reason, jo6899, that Benz brings this up is that we too often make the mistake of teaching kids to extend through the ball. I used to teach that also, until I noticed that my 11 year-old son would hit the ball and the ball nearly overpowered the bat. I started comparing his swint to MLB models I have and noticed that the pattern shows them turning the corner (toward third base-righties) through the ball. Extension just happens if things are good early in the swing. Think about the bat as a helicopter blade and just before striking the ball, you extend the arms. Can you see the blade slowing down its rotation, because you no longer allow the bat head it to rotate in the tight arc it started on and it needs to continue on to have for maximum bat speed? Put the bag slightly in front of him, but inside corner and have him knock the hell out of it. This will force him to keep the rear elbow in and turn the corner with his hands. Let us know if this helps.

      SC

      Comment


      • #4
        I agree with the others. Put the bag, or a tee, where you expect to make contact, which is roughly the ball of the front foot.
        Last edited by songtitle; 03-09-2012, 11:57 AM.
        efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Swing Coach View Post
          Great point Benz. The reason, jo6899, that Benz brings this up is that we too often make the mistake of teaching kids to extend through the ball. I used to teach that also, until I noticed that my 11 year-old son would hit the ball and the ball nearly overpowered the bat. I started comparing his swint to MLB models I have and noticed that the pattern shows them turning the corner (toward third base-righties) through the ball. Extension just happens if things are good early in the swing. Think about the bat as a helicopter blade and just before striking the ball, you extend the arms. Can you see the blade slowing down its rotation, because you no longer allow the bat head it to rotate in the tight arc it started on and it needs to continue on to have for maximum bat speed? Put the bag slightly in front of him, but inside corner and have him knock the hell out of it. This will force him to keep the rear elbow in and turn the corner with his hands. Let us know if this helps.

          SC
          Exactly, we were at a camp held by Justin Stone of the White Sox. He did a demonstration with a small 8 year old kid. Had him keep his elbow close to his body/hip bent like an L & the adult tried to push his hand back, was very hard having a bunch of resistance. He then had the kid hold his hand/arm strait out & then pushed on it, it was like a limp noodle moving it to wherever he wanted easily

          Comment


          • #6
            duplicate post
            Last edited by benz99; 03-09-2012, 07:53 AM. Reason: duplicate post

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks for the replies. Yeah i noticed that as I was watching the videos. the bag was too far out front to replicate what contact would look like. This weekend i will post some videos of the bag closer to his front foot or a little behind it. If we were working off a tee the ball would of been placed closer. I guess we were just having a little fun in the garage.

              From the above videos though does it seem he is activating his hips properly before his hands?

              Comment


              • #8
                We moved him closer to the bag. Here are 4 or 5 swings from tonight. I have noticed a couple things he is doing. He is still wanting to extend his hand at contact on a few of the swings instead of take a circular hand path. I believe this will change over time but what are some drills to reinforce the turning of shoulders and staying connected?

                Also in these clips i see his core does not seem to be reaching its full potential. If you look at some swings floating around on this site you will see many players have there back foot completely off the ground or in the air. I dont think my son is squishing the bug so i dont think its a 2 axis problem rather just not fully exploiting his front rotational axis.

                Granted this is our second day back to working on his swing. He has had some improvements in soft toss. His swing plane is starting to look better and i think he is starting to visualize getting on plane and actively thinking about bat path.

                Any critique and advice is appreciated as I work with him on improving his swing.

                Thanks

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hey Jo,

                  Your son looks very strong and swings with alot of intent. His swing reminded me of my son's swing -- and was just wondering how he does in games. I mean, is he getting hard hits and occasional home runs -- primarily to left field? Does he strike out seldom, making contact most of the time, but with less than expected distance? Not trying to put words in your mouth -- just wondering if the work you and your son are doing is to improve the "look" of the swing of if it is to hit the ball harder / hit more consistency?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Make sure the bag is even with the ball of his front foot after stride. I can't tell, it's a weird angle.

                    Make sure that he sees his back elbow away (by almost a foot) from his back hip. They should be roughly connected at contact (see Albert).

                    bbf-2012-03-10a.JPGcontact.jpg

                    After he fixes this, the bat head will no longer be 'lagging' at contact (per above). The bat head should even or slightly ahead of the hands (see Albert).

                    I suggest to start with some slow motion swings to contact. A mirror can be helpful.
                    Last edited by songtitle; 03-10-2012, 10:21 AM.
                    efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Your last video looks good. Don't get him wrapped up into too much jargon.
                      The last thing he needs to think about when he is up to bat is technique.
                      You could post video up for the next 10 years and there will be someone to see ways of "improving".
                      See the ball....hit the ball.
                      Track it.....Whack it!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        http://i42.tinypic.com/34h9xf8.gif
                        Is this a fair representation of what you want the swing to look like?


                        (test post of image from another thread)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by songtitle View Post
                          Make sure the bag is even with the ball of his front foot after stride. I can't tell, it's a weird angle.

                          Make sure that he sees his back elbow away (by almost a foot) from his back hip. They should be roughly connected at contact (see Albert).

                          [ATTACH]105821[/ATTACH][ATTACH]105766[/ATTACH]

                          After he fixes this, the bat head will no longer be 'lagging' at contact (per above). The bat head should even or slightly ahead of the hands (see Albert).

                          I suggest to start with some slow motion swings to contact. A mirror can be helpful.

                          thanks for the advice. that is also what i am seeing. he keeps wanting to extend the arms instead of staying connected and turning. this is from being told and taught this from coaches etc. using things like knob to the ball, hands to the ball etc.

                          I am trying to help him understand that he needs to get a circular handpath and stay connected and just turn. Also i will put some videos up in the next few days hitting off a tee at his front foot to see if I cant get some better video.

                          Also a few questions for you.

                          1. Is pitch location going to determine whether or not our hands are ahead of the bat in a rotational swing. Inside ahead, middle try to get to 90% and outside behind??

                          2. also in my sons swing there its not a full extension nor is his elbow fully connected(its just not the best position for the back elbow? I see Pujols is almost at his side

                          3. Does pitch location affect how close or far away your back elbow is during the swing? Or is the elbow not being connected fully a symptom of being early on a pitch etc.

                          Seems like i have seem some picture of Manny and others in which they were a bit early and the elbow looked similar.
                          Last edited by jo6889; 03-10-2012, 08:31 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by steddie View Post
                            Hey Jo,

                            Your son looks very strong and swings with alot of intent. His swing reminded me of my son's swing -- and was just wondering how he does in games. I mean, is he getting hard hits and occasional home runs -- primarily to left field? Does he strike out seldom, making contact most of the time, but with less than expected distance? Not trying to put words in your mouth -- just wondering if the work you and your son are doing is to improve the "look" of the swing of if it is to hit the ball harder / hit more consistency?

                            we really just started working on his swing again so dont know game results. we are not working to fix the "look" although i am sure that will be a by product of the work. we are working to correct some things that he has been taught that i disagree with and feel are not part of a high level swing such as extending through contact and swing down through the ball etc. Its going to take some time but as long as he is willing to work at it i will do my best to help him.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Your back elbow doesnt move or change position based on location, or anything else. Your forearm moves to where the ball is.

                              Drive your back elbow down to your hip, then rotate them together as long as you can. That's it. Dont make it more complex than it is.
                              Last edited by songtitle; 03-10-2012, 08:47 PM.
                              efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X