Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rajun Cajun
    replied
    i have a similar situation. my son plays for his school and a travel ball team. But, I would not let the school coach decide issues affecting your family or your son. The coach is in no position to demand that your son not play travel ball.

My sons travel ball team is competitive and instructional, and has a great coach working with the boys. However, my sons school team has about 5 ball players on it and the competition is mediocre at best (as you might say). We feel compelled to support the school program because it is young and needs to be supported by committed parents and famalies if it is to improve. But, we work around my sons travel team, and my sons travel team coach works with us on pitching starts to make sure there injury risks are mitigated.

Extra curricular activites and family activities need to be managed by you. But, the reality is this: your son will thrive in the enviornment that he choses to be in.

If the high school coach wants to make demands on conditioning programs, than perhaps he could provide one..........

Leave a comment:

• heretolearn
    replied
    tg643,

Thanks for taking the time to type that out. I appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• tg643
    replied
    Joe Nuxhall was signed at sixteen and dropped out of high school to join the Reds during WW2.

Leave a comment:

• skipper5
    replied
    As a youngster, one of my favorite players was Al Kaline.

Kaline bypassed the minor league system and joined the team directly from Baltimore's Southern High School as an 18-year-old "bonus baby" signee, receiving $35,000 ($304,030 as of 2012),[6] to sign with the Tigers.[7][

Leave a comment:

• tg643
    replied
    Originally posted by heretolearn View Post
    Can you explain this? I don't know much about the business of baseball but this is kind of interesting.

Thanks for the heads up.
    The June draft is typically for players who play at American high schools or colleges. To close loopholes the draft also includes other Amercan citizens and those granted residency visas. A foreign player playing at an American college is eligible for the draft.

Foreign (Carribean, Japanese, Korean, etc.) players are not subject to the draft. They are immediately eligible for free agency. It's why you see heavy bidding and typically overpaying for Cuban and Japanese players. Players from other Carribean countries are usually signed for next to nothing at age sixteen and shipped to America. In recent years some MLB franchises have created academies in Carribean countries to continue to develop their skills past sixteen, keep them from getting homesick and learning English.

Imagine being dropped, uneducated in a foreign country with very little money at sixteen, seventeen years old and you don't know the language. Caribbean players don't get the minimum 10K signing bonus drafted players receive. A level players make $800 per month in season. It's what most Carribean players experience. But the shot at becoming a MLB'er is their only way out of poverty that far exceeds anything you will see in our country.

Other than power hitters who get pitched around, have you ever seen a Carribean player walk a lot? There's a saying in the Carribean, "You can't walk your way off the island."
    Last edited by tg643; 03-28-2012, 11:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JCincy
    replied
    Life is filled with forks in the road. This one sounds like choice between good and good. Personally, I'd pray about such things, but that's not everyone's cup of tea.

There's the old pros and cons sheet you and your son can make by listing the pros and cons of each choice side by side.

Which road provides the most fun? The most challenge? The better path to advance his skills without risking injury? The best opportunities to have experiences not directly related to baseball?

The only negative... and it may not be a negative for your son... but if it were my son I'd be bit hesitant about the ego trip both up and down of playing with significantly older players and their influence.

I wish you and your son all the best!

Leave a comment:

• heretolearn
    replied
    Originally posted by tg643 View Post
    It cost Prieto a lot of money to be subjected to the draft. It's why Cuban baseball players now defect to other Carribean countries and establish residency so they can be free agents.
    Can you explain this? I don't know much about the business of baseball but this is kind of interesting.

Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
    FYI - Baseball Almanac is our sister site.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Leave a comment:

• Jake Patterson
    replied
    A quick Google search provides this:

MLB players who went straight to the majors, no minor league experience, research by Baseball Almanac.

The only four players going straight from HS to MLB are:
    David Clyde (previously mentioned)
    Mike Morgan (previously mentioned)
    Tim Conroy
    Ariel Prieto
    FYI - Baseball Almanac is our sister site.

Leave a comment:

• tg643
    replied

MLB players who went straight to the majors, no minor league experience, research by Baseball Almanac.

Tim Conroy
    Ariel Prieto
    Prieto wasn't signed out of high school. He was on the Cuban national team. He left Cuba for the USA under an assumed name. By being granted access to the United States it made him eligible for the MLB draft. His contract agreed to an immediate jump to MLB. He was sent down later in the season. It cost Prieto a lot of money to be subjected to the draft. It's why Cuban baseball players now defect to other Carribean countries and establish residency so they can be free agents.

Leave a comment:

• heretolearn
    replied

Tim Conroy
    Ariel Prieto

Leave a comment:

• tg643
    replied
    Originally posted by tradosaurus View Post
    How about Mickey Mantle?
    Mantle spent two seasons in the minors. He was signed after high school graduation at age seventeen. He was up with the Yankees at nineteen.

Leave a comment:

• tradosaurus
    replied
    How about Mickey Mantle?

Leave a comment:

• tg643
    replied
    Originally posted by Coach of Twins View Post
    Robin Yount??
    Yount played short season A ball out of high school. He made the Brewers out of spring training the following year.

Leave a comment:

• Coach of Twins
    replied
    Robin Yount??

Leave a comment:

• tg643
    replied
    My definition of a jaw dropper isn't the kid who can fast track to MLB. I'm looking at it from the high school level. It's the kid who's going to have multiple major D1 college offers. Not interest, offers. He's the kid you can pick out of the crowd at a high school game.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X