No announcement yet.

Drills to stop wrist roll/rolling over?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drills to stop wrist roll/rolling over?

I was watching my videos yesterday and I noticed that I roll in almost every pitch. So I decided to look at major league swings and they roll over well after the pitch. So I went online and looked for drill to stop that, and I can't seem to find any. Suggestions?

My swing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9lIu...e_gdata_player

Major League swings:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G9hf...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrpyB...e_gdata_player

Originally posted by martino13 View Post
    I was watching my videos yesterday and I noticed that I roll in almost every pitch. So I decided to look at major league swings and they roll over well after the pitch. So I went online and looked for drill to stop that, and I can't seem to find any. Suggestions?

My swing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9lIu...e_gdata_player
    You're swinging down/chopping down on the ball, which causes you to drop your hands.
    Hitting Coordinator for Harris-Stowe State University in St. Louis.

I also work with the pitchers who are dealing with injury problems.

Comment

The key is that you don't want your wrists to roll until after contact.

Wrist roll prior to contact can happen when one (or more, in combination) of the following occur prior to contact--
      In no particular order:

1. inadequate (or non-existent) opening of the hips--typical of young batters.

2. an overly choked grip

3. a lead arm that collapses against the batters side

4. out in front of the pitch

5. swinging around the ball

6. a severe down-swing
      Skip

Comment

You have a host of problems - swinging down, lunging, wrist roll.

When you begin your swing (after toe touch) you should drive your back elbow and shoulder down to your hip. You must drop your back shoulder significantly. You are just spinning your shoulders, or worse, bending over forward, as you throw your hands.

The wrist roll may be caused by 1 or 2 things. You may be lining up your door knocking knuckles. You may have a death grip on the bat (try a loose top hand). Or, as stated above, your severe downswing.

I recommend an instructor.
        Last edited by songtitle; 04-02-2012, 10:54 AM.
        efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

Comment

Like many have posted different things cause this. Most of my students it is grip. I use a training device called the Bat Jack, that a hitting coach with the Cleveland Indians came up with. A simple drill that I use for young students is the hands over drill. It is simple you reverse the top hand on the bat and it forces you to release before contact. songtitle covers it pretty good above.

Comment

Whats wrong with door knocking knuckles lined up ??

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by willodie38 View Post
              Whats wrong with door knocking knuckles lined up ??
              No good hitters actually do it.

Comment

The "door knocking knucles" is a very controversial topic. Some people swear by it and others don't. In fact about a year ago I had a heated discussion with one of the coaches on our travel team about this topic. He swore that it was the proper way to hold the bat. I said that it feels unnatural and feels too tense to hold the bat that way, and felt that it was unnecessary to hold it like that. I've always just grabbed the bat in a natural way without really thinking about the grip and it's worked for me like a charm. After that practice I went home and put on a major league game to see what the pro's did. It was the Phillies versus Dodgers. I took a look at Utley's, Howard, Kemp and a few others and their door knocking knuckles were not lined up. So I felt good that I wasn't going crazy and was not the only one that did not line them up. So I left it like that and didn't think much of it afterward. Here's the funny part. Just today I was watching the Dodgers vs Angels and guess who does lines up their knuckles? Albert Puljos! I couldn't believe it. What caught my eye was how his right wrist was kind of bent while holding the bat. It looked a little ackward unlike most hitters. That's when I noticed the knuckles were lined up. I've always known he holds the bat that way but never bothered to wonder why. So far he's the only pro I've seen hold the bat that way but I wouldn't be suprised if there are a few more. I still think most mlb hitters don't line up their knuckles though. So the question is what is the right way? Who know's. I guess what ever works for you. For me it's not lining up the knuckles. I'm curious to hear what others have to say.

Comment

Martino13,

Improper wrist roll over (early top hand) is a hip to shoulders timing problem, exacerbated by macho I wanna pull everythingitis. Keep your swing plain and hand action, change you shoulder to hip timing with the hips starting the process you have it backwards by performing 1-3-2.

Do not eliminate your wrist Roll over it is proper recovery position from proper pronated Ulnar deviation that powers your wrists early in it’s extension of the wrists through the hands. The toughest thing to do in this high anxiety situation of facing a fastball, slider or a curve coming at you the darting back in over the plate is your willingness to give yourself up to being dosed. Once you start committing your hip (this is the hard part committing, when you commit there ain’t no getting out of the way, your body knows this ) ahead of your shoulders, then the arms then the hands overlapped (and yes unlike some understand the hands do play a large part in cross bridging arrangements in the thumbs and forehand that help in wrist articulation and the fingers actually have 15 degrees of elongation from squared hands to elongated hands) kinetically chained from one end to the other.

The fix is to accentuate the positive aspect of start forwards timing by performing bottom half !maximal! leg and hip articulations ( I do this live also) with out a swing. This drill is best performed with an excessively long carbon fiber speed bat (underload) where leg and hip starts (no swing) reps are followed by one arm front side the one arm backside then two hand swings with emphasis on leg and hip timing.

I do this, it works every time I encounter this problem, you must become a power spray hitter. Commit and swivel back!!
                  Last edited by Dirtberry; 04-03-2012, 11:57 PM.
                  Primum non nocere

Comment

It's deja vu all over again.

Comment

I knew you would say that.

Comment

These guys aren't good hitters, because O'Leary said there aren't any good hitters who line them up.

Texiera is pretty close

Pujols in stance.....pretty close

Pujols at contact....pretty close

Now some of you may want to actually get up out of your office chair, pick up a baseball bat and grip it. Take a grip stronger than the box grip and swing. Now weaken the grip to the knockers and swing. Early rollover (and bat coming off plane quickly) is more easily accomplished with too strong of a grip.

Comment

Originally posted by The Uncoach View Post
                          These guys aren't good hitters, because O'Leary said there aren't any good hitters who line them up.
                          We aren't talking about at contact.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
                            We aren't talking about at contact.
                            Wrist roll is about contact, losing power and/or taking the bat off plane early. We're talking about at contact.

Comment

The problem with lining up the door knocker knuckles at the start of the swing is that it can put the elbows too close together and lead to a draggy swing.

The reason why Pujols has to flex his wrist so much is so that he avoids this problem.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X