Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bat For my Son

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bat For my Son

    I have learned alot by reading the post on this forum. I have read post that are years old trying to find drills for my son. I bought him a 28/15 demarini bat as he was out growing his tee ball bat. When he first started using it he seemed to pull everything. Now he seems to be a little behind the ball and has lost some pop. I think that it is probably alright for coach pitch, but when he starts hitting the machine and live throwing I am worried he may not be able to get around on the ball. The good thing is he loves the bat and does not want to put it down. This may be a stupid question, but I do not have a ton of baseball experience any responses would be appreciated.

  • #2
    It might help if you post our son's age, weight, some video of him swinging, etc. Here is an article that talks about bat size that I like.

    http://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/bats/batw8.html

    There is a chart at the bottom of the page that give's you common sizes, depending on age, height, weight etc. For example:

    Little League Baseball (7-8 yrs) Age*2 + 4

    But beyond the chart, people would need more info on your son.
    Never played baseball, just a dad of someone that loves to play. So take any advice I post with a grain of salt.

    Comment


    • #3
      My (skinny) 7 yo daughters used a 19 oz bat. It's not the bat.
      efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

      Comment


      • #4
        Agree that video will help. If he's not using his lower body to power the swing, it's understandable why he's being inconsistent. Going from the light bat to the heavier bats can be a big struggle for an upper body swinger.

        Comment


        • #5
          If he's having trouble with a -13 bat, it's not the bat. I never let my kids use a bat that light. They never used lighter than a -10.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks Guys. My son Is about four foot tall and fifty pounds. Unfortuanately he has a better chance of hitting it out of turner field than me figuring out how to post a video on the internet. I watched him tonight at practice and he seemed to be using his lower body, but i am no expert. Anything that would tip me off to his not using his lower body or drills to help him. thanks

            Comment


            • #7
              The first thing you look for, and practice on, when you go to live pitching, is to make sure he strides on every pitch. Not just strikes. Every pitch.

              Try this in a cage by holding on to a random ball, and see if he moves his front foot forward.

              Many dads and youth coaches get off on the wrong track at this age, by stopping their stride, or switching bats. Fix their timing first.
              efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jblanchard View Post
                Thanks Guys. My son Is about four foot tall and fifty pounds. Unfortuanately he has a better chance of hitting it out of turner field than me figuring out how to post a video on the internet. I watched him tonight at practice and he seemed to be using his lower body, but i am no expert. Anything that would tip me off to his not using his lower body or drills to help him. thanks
                Video him and watch it in slow motion. If he is firing his hips first and keeping his hands back, he's doing a pretty good job. Often times people will start the swing with their shoulders and hands and then the hips just go along for the ride. This doesn't provide any power and can be very inconsistent. Instead, it should be the other way around, engage the hips and the shoulders, hands, and bat will follow. Also, make sure the back elbow is connected to his ribs/hips when rotating around, this will help use his body as well as keep his hands inside the ball.

                Originally posted by songtitle View Post
                The first thing you look for, and practice on, when you go to live pitching, is to make sure he strides on every pitch. Not just strikes. Every pitch.

                Try this in a cage by holding on to a random ball, and see if he moves his front foot forward.

                Many dads and youth coaches get off on the wrong track at this age, by stopping their stride, or switching bats. Fix their timing first.
                I agree here.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks, I held a ball today while throwing soft toss to him. He was striding on every pitch. I do not know about his hips I will check this out. I cannot help but think the bat is to heavy or to end loaded. When I pick up the bat it feels heavier than bats that are actually heavier. The bat is the vodoo 28/15. This is probably my own inexperience. I am going to take your advice and try to work through it with him. I had him loading and striding on the tee today. Most of the time he was hitting below the ball. What are the best drills to improve his timing. I am almost scared to throw to much to him, because I feel I throw differently from the other coach on his team that actually pitches to the kids in the games. He wants to hit all the time.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jblanchard View Post
                    Thanks Guys. My son Is about four foot tall and fifty pounds. Unfortuanately he has a better chance of hitting it out of turner field than me figuring out how to post a video on the internet. I watched him tonight at practice and he seemed to be using his lower body, but i am no expert. Anything that would tip me off to his not using his lower body or drills to help him. thanks
                    Ask some kid to take some video with their phone and load it to youtube for you. Any kid with a phone will know how to do it and it wouldn't be too much effort for them
                    Never played baseball, just a dad of someone that loves to play. So take any advice I post with a grain of salt.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Jblanchard View Post
                      Thanks, I held a ball today while throwing soft toss to him. He was striding on every pitch. I do not know about his hips I will check this out. I cannot help but think the bat is to heavy or to end loaded. When I pick up the bat it feels heavier than bats that are actually heavier. The bat is the vodoo 28/15. This is probably my own inexperience. I am going to take your advice and try to work through it with him. I had him loading and striding on the tee today. Most of the time he was hitting below the ball. What are the best drills to improve his timing. I am almost scared to throw to much to him, because I feel I throw differently from the other coach on his team that actually pitches to the kids in the games. He wants to hit all the time.
                      I wouldn't worry about it too much, he'll have to get used to different pitchers and deliveries at some point. I throw underhand at a short distance to my son but in games the coach throws overhand to him from normal distance. He makes the adjustment pretty well. If he wants to hit that bad, get in there and feed the monster while it's hungry.

                      Originally posted by pthawaii View Post
                      Ask some kid to take some video with their phone and load it to youtube for you. Any kid with a phone will know how to do it and it wouldn't be too much effort for them
                      LOL, good call.

                      Comment

                      Ad Widget

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X