Off Season Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Season Questions

Last year my boys both played Little League in the spring and fall ball under another sanction, so they were getting some great experience. This year, my youngest will be starting K so no fall activies for him so he can get adjusted to going to school. My older son wants to try another sport which I fully support. My question is this, what, if anything, should we be doing in the fall/winter leading up to playing Little League again next spring? We live in southwest AZ so it never rains and it's always warm enough to wear shorts so the weather won't be an issue.

I don't want to practice them every day unless they want to but I also want to make sure they keep the timing and swings they have worked hard to develop. At this age, is it necessary to keep them in practice year round (for example, twice per week short bp and some throwing) or don't worry about it because they will get it back pretty quickly when the time comes. Maybe start practicing a month before the season begins?

They are 5 & 7 currently and both are very competive about being their best and competing against other kids.

I personally like my son having about a month sometime between fall ball and spring ball.

Other than that I think just getting out and throwing the ball will do wonders for endurance.

Comment

Let kids be kids. They don't need to train in the off season. My kids played basketball in the winter. My daughter played soccer and field hockey in the fall. My son played football and soccer. Neither played baseball or softball except in spring and summer until 8th grade when focus became more year round even though they also played other sports in high school. They both play(ed) college ball.

Quality hitting mechanics are a plus. But don't take it too seriously especially at their age. They will make many adjustments over the next twelve years. My son had his swing mechanics completely reconstructed after his soph year of high school. It wasn't because he was doing anything wrong or failing. It was just improvement.
      Last edited by tg643; 04-04-2012, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by heretolearn View Post
        Last year my boys both played Little League in the spring and fall ball under another sanction, so they were getting some great experience. This year, my youngest will be starting K so no fall activies for him so he can get adjusted to going to school. My older son wants to try another sport which I fully support. My question is this, what, if anything, should we be doing in the fall/winter leading up to playing Little League again next spring? We live in southwest AZ so it never rains and it's always warm enough to wear shorts so the weather won't be an issue.

I don't want to practice them every day unless they want to but I also want to make sure they keep the timing and swings they have worked hard to develop. At this age, is it necessary to keep them in practice year round (for example, twice per week short bp and some throwing) or don't worry about it because they will get it back pretty quickly when the time comes. Maybe start practicing a month before the season begins?

They are 5 & 7 currently and both are very competive about being their best and competing against other kids.
        Play basketball??
        Let them have some time off.... Playing soccer or basketball is perfect and helps to develop the lower body.
        "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
        - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Let 'em be boys. Maybe throw twice a week but not much else. At that age it is more important for them to be boys than ball players in the off-season.

Comment

The Ultimate Hitting Machine is a fun soft toss machine they can use in the back yard. If you have room, set up a net in the back yard with this machine, and they can go out anytime they want and work on their hitting by themselves. You may have to be there to referee, cause I guarantee they will be fighting to see who gets to use it all the time... )....it's very user friendly and kids love it!
            __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __
            " THE ULTIMATE HITTING MACHINE"...... IS the ultimate hitting machine... sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X